Profile for Christine > Reviews

The Green Witch: A Modern Woman's Herbal
The Green Witch: A Modern Woman's Herbal
by Barbara Griggs

4.0 out of 5 stars Good info., 19 Oct. 2002
I would give this book five stars for the info and three for the layout.
The herbal remedies discussed here are very useful, starting with the info on what herbs to use for cleaning your house and what kind of indoor plants to use to purify the air you're breathing. The herbal remedies on skin care and several health issues can be found in most herbal books. However, I thought that the chapter about cleansing was very interesting, as it leads to a cure (prevention, actually) for the common cold.
A note: Despite the title, and although it's written by a witch, spellcrafting is not discussed in this book. At least not in the usual way...

The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss
The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss
by John A. McDougall

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for people outside of the US, 19 Oct. 2002
I bought this book because of the many positive reviews it has.
However, I had no chance to try it. I have no idea if it works, because the majority of sample foods he uses are hard to find outside the US.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2015 11:40 PM GMT

Wells Of Hell
Wells Of Hell
by Graham Masterton

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, wet, scary, with a lingering stench of rotting fish., 16 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Wells Of Hell (Paperback)
I'm a great fan of Masterton's work and this book was one I really enjoyed. In this book he creates a dark, wet small town, where ancient Evils lurk in underground lakes. The heroes battle against powerful enemies who seem to come straight from Hell (and Lovecraft's imagination) and a cat named Shelley leads the way to the final confrontation. Dark, wet, scary, with a lingering stench of rotting fish. A great horror book.

Master of Lies (Tor Horror)
Master of Lies (Tor Horror)
by Graham Masterton

5.0 out of 5 stars If you think you can't be scared, read this book, 16 Aug. 2002
Nothing you've ever read can prepare you for the first chapter of this book. This first scene is filled with unbelievably graphic and pure horror. I was really scared and at the same time enchanted. I found myself unable to let the book down until it finished. The story is, more or less, a classic tale of an ancient evil and those who seek to destroy it and save humankind. But, in this case, the tale is coloured with many gory scenes, although none of them can match the opening chapter.
If you think you can't be scared, this book will prove you wrong.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2012 7:44 PM BST

Frazier & Eckroate : New Natural Cat (Hbk)
Frazier & Eckroate : New Natural Cat (Hbk)
by Anitra Frazier

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info!, 16 Aug. 2002
I have three cats. I got this book after being recommended in a discussion list.
After having read the first couple of chapters, I found myself crying over the stupid things that I've done to my cats all their lives. Most of us mean well, but sometimes we lack the info or the sense to help our cats achieve their best physical and emotional state.
This book offers the info to do that.
Using common sense of what a cat's natural ways are, Frazier guides us through a tough journey with natural diet, holistic approach and lots of love to discovered uncharted areas in the relationship with your cats. I learned how to use non-verbal communication and to send kisses to my cats across the room. The first time I did this, my female cat fell of the armchair where she was sitting out of surprise. Then she run to me, jumped on my keyboard and rubbed her face on mine. And that's NOT her usual behaviour.
The nutrition part is not what most vets recommend. But it works. After a month following her plan, my 25 pounds tom lost some weight, his dandruff vanished and the mats on his fur are gone.

The Natural Cat
The Natural Cat
by Anitra Frazier

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info!, 16 Aug. 2002
This review is from: The Natural Cat (Paperback)
This book offers the info to do that.

Bradygames Guide to Daggerfall (Bradygames)
Bradygames Guide to Daggerfall (Bradygames)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide, 16 Aug. 2002
This strategy guide offers valuable information on the game. Apart from the basics, it helps with item making, soultraping and dungeon crawling. Moreover, it includes a very detailed bestiary, guild advancement tables and artifact descriptions. But probably the most fascinating part is where you read about the main quest. You may have played the game for weeks, and not having suspected what actually goes on. The last part of the book tells you all about the main storyline and offers maps fr the main dungeons.
One thing is missing: Info on Witches Covens. Apart from that, is a very useful guide.

Babylon 5: The Gathering [DVD]
Babylon 5: The Gathering [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael O'Hare

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 16 Aug. 2002
Many are called... and each has his place in the events to follow. We meet Sinclair, the first Commanding officer of B5. A decent man with a "hole in his mind". In the past he has fought bravely on the Line, but his *real* past -or future- lies a thousand years away. We also meet Garibaldi, the security chief, who has allowed his addiction to ruin his life numerous times in the past. This is his chance to make a difference, if he can stay sober. We see Dellen, the Minbari ambassador, with slightly different features that the series, and more ruthless as well. We also see Mollari, the Centauri ambassador and someone we may like. Just as we may dislike the Narn ambassador, G'Kar, and imperialistic and warlike individual. But first impressions can be deceiving.
Because, as G'Kar states in a later episode: "no one here is what he appears"...
In this pilot episode, the story goes like this: The arrival of the Vorlon ambassador, Kosh, is almost at hand. Everyone expects this with great anticipation, because no one so far has seen a Vorlon (and lived, if I may add). However, when Kosh sets foot (?) on the station an attempt is made on his life. Sinclair is accused for this, and he has to set things straight. Otherwise, the future (and the past) of this station is in grave danger.
Apart from the great storyline, the depth in character development and the philosophical threads, this series has exceptional effects and make up. The alien races look really alien, even dress and behave as such. This is the best SF series you can ever find.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2010 11:09 PM BST

Babylon 5: Volume 8 - Grail/Eyes/Legacies [VHS] [1994]
Babylon 5: Volume 8 - Grail/Eyes/Legacies [VHS] [1994]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, but still fun to watch., 16 Aug. 2002
In GRAIL the Arthurian Lore in introduced to the B5 universe. Not a very successful episode, since the same thing is done in "A late delivery from Avalon" in a brilliant way. Anyway, this episode has some good hints, including info on what happened to the previous 4 stations and a mind absorbing evil creature that resides in a Vorlon environmental suit.
In "Eyes" Sinclair faces court martial. Boring.
In "Legacies", the body of a deceased Minbari Leader who is going through B5 is stolen. The interesting part of this episode is the cultural differences of the various Minbari casts.

Homeopathic Care For Cats And Dogs: Small Doses for Small Animals
Homeopathic Care For Cats And Dogs: Small Doses for Small Animals
by Don Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital for every pet owner/guardian., 16 Aug. 2002
This is probably the best homeopathic veterinary book for pet owners/guardians in the market.
In the first part, Dr. Hamilton explains the basics of homeopathy and how the rules apply to home caring for a sick animal. He even gives instructions on how to medicate your animal, since the administration of homeopathic remedies differs from allopathic ones.
The second part is a detailed and easy to follow Repertory, meaning that conditions by system are presented and remedies are suggested according to symptoms. This is followed by special conditions, such as pre surgery and after surgery care, heat-stroke etc. The section ends with a Materia Medica adapted to the animal symptoms.
This book has been a great resource for my cats. It does not replace the veterinary care of a trained homeopath, but it can be vital in cases of emergency. I used it at least on two occasions with my younger cats, and the both recovered in a matter of hours. One of them, my younger kitty had been ill for months, and both my homeopath and my allo vet had not been able to help him. Fed up by the failed attempts, I went through the pages of this book, until I stumbled on a remedy that seemed to fit perfectly. And it worked! My boy has been healthy ever since.
Now I keep it close to my bed for easy access.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6