Profile for Maisy Yardley > Reviews

Content by Maisy Yardley

Maisy Yardley (Southampton, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Future Breeds
Future Breeds
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars fun but with depth, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Future Breeds (Audio CD)
This is the first Hot Hot Heat album I have heard, and I think it is really good - there certainly are some real standout tracks, such as Times a Thousand, Future Breeds and the superb Zero Results. The music is consistently upbeat but not two-dimensional - they draw on different influences and blend different styles. The lyics are funny but serious. Not every track is good but overall it is a very consistent album that I have enjoyed playing many times already.

Liquid Love
Liquid Love
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars totally under-rated first-class album, 9 May 2010
This review is from: Liquid Love (Audio CD)
I loved the original, stripped down sound of Shy Child's last album, and so the highly polished pop sound of this one came as a bit of a shock - but after a single listen I was grabbed. For a start, every song on the album is so catchy that having played it just twice it replayed in my head constantly for a week! Luckily this just allowed me to appreciate its depth. I can't understand how some reviewers see this album as superficial - as in their classic single 'Summer' on the last album, their enigmatic but evocative lyrics and their sound are both bitter-sweet and poignant, combining a determination to appreciate life to the full with an awareness of the inescapable pain and alienation of our lives. In fact, I find their music so emotional that the beauty and upbeat danceability of it is a neccessary antidote to the seriousness of their messages.

Perhaps the album is a little over-produced - when they finally did a track (Criss Cross) that sounded more like their previous album it was great to hear their unique, special sound again - but this also reminded me of how boring it might have become if they had not branched out into different musical forms. While I still love their last album, this album is more musically mature and accomplished, with a very even quality throughout.

There is so much truly superficial indie pop around just now it seems very sad to me that a band that have managed to use familiar accessible formats to deliver profound songs have not met with more acclaim. I had started to think that I didn't like pop music but they have reminded me that Motown, the Beatles, Daft Punk, arguably Mozart, all understood the value of high quality pop songs. They have shown wirh their earlier work they can be innovative and experimental, but now have shown that they have also mastered their medium and can change styles. Thye are good looking and cool. What more do they need to do to be properly appreciated?!

Preteen Weaponry
Preteen Weaponry

5.0 out of 5 stars mesmerising, essential Oneida, 6 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Preteen Weaponry (Audio CD)
As a relative newcomer to Oneida (have only heard 5 albums so far!) this one seems to me to be the essence of what Oneida do best - their extended instrumentals that perform the magical trick of using repetition in a way that is never boring. I appreciate the way that on each album they try out different sounds (part of staying fresh), including more focused songs with lyrics, but I feel their music really takes off when they seem to jam at length but with purpose, as on this album. When I listen to this I forget I am listening to it and then find it has led me somewhere different.

Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free
Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free

5.0 out of 5 stars their best yet?, 25 Oct. 2009
Akron albums are always good value as you only have to listen to them once to be interested, twice to be hooked - but in my case I have to listen to them at least 10 times before I feel I start to understand them, and even then I get a different slant on it each time. I was misled (and put off) at first by a rreview which called them 'freaky folk' - although they do draw on folk among many many many other styles I think just 'experimental' would be a better label if they had to have one! It is amazing how they mix such different styles into their own strong and totally coherent sound; one of my favourites is the beautiful bluesy 70s style guitar solos that occasionally crop up, and also the gorgeous simple, spaced out guitar chords and arpeggios - but I think these would seem too sweet if it wasn't for the high energy jarring metal and chorus build-ups between. I was worried that they might have kept their virtuosity but lost their soul when one of the founder members left to join a Buddhist centre, but was no longer worried after I read the profound and honest lyrics to this new album and heard 'Sun will Shine' (which often brings me to tears).

The Inheritors An Extravagant Story [EasyRead Edition]
The Inheritors An Extravagant Story [EasyRead Edition]
by Joseph Conrad

5.0 out of 5 stars still relevant, 20 Sept. 2009
This strange collaboration was an unexpected pleasure to discover. It has all the brooding menace of a typical Conrad book but a different tone and a sociological perspective that I found surprisingly relevant to the present time, reflecting on how old values are ruthlessly swept away by the march towards 'progress'. I was attracted by the odd mixture of science fiction and a story that could almost have come from Henry James, and it was indeed novel but effective!

Watersports
Watersports
Offered by Hausmusik

5.0 out of 5 stars accessible quality, 20 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Watersports (Audio CD)
This band are descended from Black Eyes, a band which I really love. While they keep elements from Black Eyes - the singer's endearing new wave falsetto yelping and the driving percussive energy - it is more mellow and accessible. At first I felt this meant they had lost some of their edge, but after more listening I now feel that the new direction is just as good as the previous material - although it lacks the passion of some of the Black Eyes songs it builds steadily throughout the album with no weak places, and exudes musical maturity and confidence. I do hope they tour the UK - with their trancey relentless rhythms and rich layers of sound they must be fantastic live!

Love Is Simple
Love Is Simple
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars persevere with this one!, 20 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Love Is Simple (Audio CD)
I am a fairly new fan of Akron/Family and although I really liked their most recent album the first track of this one (the 2nd I bought) very nearly put me off altogether with its seemingly simplistic loved-up hippie lyrics. Luckily, the music was so good I kept listening! Akron/Family are never simple, and now I have heard the album 3 times I think I am beginning to understand and appreciate what they mean - a positive but self-conscious and certainly not simplistic message. The bonus DVD that came with my copy really helped - the live performance left me and my partner in stunned silence with our mouths hanging open as it was so amazingly powerful. These boys really love music - all kinds - and can play it really well! We can't wait to see them perform live in November, and I have now bought all their albums.

A Symbol Of Modern Living
A Symbol Of Modern Living
Offered by music_by_mail_uk

5.0 out of 5 stars I just want more of this!, 25 Dec. 2004
It's over a year now since I bought this (?punk-funk) album and it just gets better and better - it fuses together all my favourite influences, from Happy Mondays through P.I.L. to Hawkwind, but sounds completely like itself and new. But where are they now? I can't bear the thought that a band this good may have disappeared forever!

Page: 1 | 2