Profile for J. Owston > Reviews

Content by J. Owston

J. Owston (Newcastle Upon Tyne, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
BEKO Washing Machine Heating Element 1950W Heater 1950 Watts
BEKO Washing Machine Heating Element 1950W Heater 1950 Watts
Offered by Spares Direct 2 U Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service, 13 April 2017
Item arrived when promised and washer now repaired

Hotel Quality Pure White Microfibre Peached Duvet Double 4.5TOG Feels Like Down
Hotel Quality Pure White Microfibre Peached Duvet Double 4.5TOG Feels Like Down
Offered by Lancashire Bedding

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer duvet, 13 April 2017
Lovely duvet, snug yet lightweight.

Christmas at the Vicarage
Christmas at the Vicarage

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Christmas story, 23 Dec. 2016
I have never read any specific "christmas" genre books but I do enjoy village sagas such as the ones by Rebecca Shaw, so I thought I'd give this a go.
I am glad that I did!
It is a well written quick read that is not at all saccharine sweet but rather bitter sweet and is more realistic for that.
Plus the main character Rosamunde is exactly the same age as me and we both left our home areas 15 years ago. That's where the similarity ends, but I did enjoy being reminded of the clothes and songs from when I was a teenager in the 1980s! I would read more books by this author.
I would recommend this book to Rebecca Shaw fans, people of the 1972 vintage or anyone who fancies a cosy Christmas read.

The Red Hill (Thomas Berrington Historical Mystery Book 1)
The Red Hill (Thomas Berrington Historical Mystery Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK historical fiction, 23 Dec. 2016
Historical fiction is one of my favourite genres and I chose this book as I didn't know a lot about Moorish medieval Spain.
I liked learning more about this era and enjoyed the descriptions of the sights and smells and the mystery is engaging with many twists and turns. Plus I didn't guess whodunit, which is a bonus.
However I didn't particularly like the voyeurism at one stage of the book nor the gruesome, nasty conversation at the end of the book. Yes, i know it was a different era where violence and cruelty were more prevalent and the threatening conversation is meant to whet the appetite for further adventures of Thomas Berington and friends, but based on that final conversation, I won't be travelling with him.

11.22.63
11.22.63
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior time travel epic, 29 Nov. 2016
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Paperback)
Let's face it, there's some real dross in the badlands that are Amazon self publishing: if you search for "top ten time travel novels" this fantastic book doesn't even come near the top ten, when in fact it should be near the top.
Coming in at 850 pages long, this is really a story to lose yourself in and is one of those books that you're thinking about when you're not reading it. The descriptions of 1950s America lull you into romanticising the era until you peep behind the curtains or are confronted by the cruel realities of segregation.
It took me a long time to read the book as I just didn't want it to end and had already fallen in love with and cared about the main characters: Jake (George), Sadie, Deke and Miz Mimi.
Then there are the questions: could Oswald be stopped? Would other lives be saved? What are the consequences of changing history?
I would recommend this book to those who enjoy 20th century history, science fiction and specifically time travel stories, or those who don't mind a bit of romance. Don't let that put you off - it's a world apart from the Amazon badlands!

Dead Cold: A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery, Book 2
Dead Cold: A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery, Book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book in the series, 25 Oct. 2016
I love these books because in some ways the mystery is almost secondary to the characters - both the villagers of Three Pines and the police. Plus the descriptions of the village, their customs and not to mention the food that they eat are so vivid that the reader is transported into their world - and I for one can't wait to return there!

Coffin Road
Coffin Road

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and atmospheric mystey, 16 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Coffin Road (Kindle Edition)
I had not read anything by this author before and then he was recommended twice in two days so I downloaded this to my Kindle as it was on special offer. It was well worth it - you are sucked into the story straight away and this in part has to do with the atmosphere created and the stunning descriptions of the locations of the novel. I also enjoyed that I had read to over 80% on the kindle and I was still none the wiser as to the identities of two characters. On the strength of this book I will look out for more books by this author.

Sacrilege (Giordano Bruno Book 3)
Sacrilege (Giordano Bruno Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting historical fiction, 8 Sept. 2016
Another outing for Bruno and this time to Canterbury where he meets possibly the worst clique so far. Horrific murders and squalid prison scenes but we see more of Bruno's character here so there is a balance. Am intrigued to know what happens next..

Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series Book 1)
Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but not well written, 8 Sept. 2016
The plot of this book was so interesting and intriguing that I so wanted to enjoy it. In fact at first I did, but then things just went a bit wrong. First there was a really jarring "time shift" (and not one from the time machines) where time moved on years for the main characters in the time it took to start a new chapter. Then there was the killing off of main characters and a seemingly out of character sex scene. Or maybe it's just me being picky after being perturbed by the years just flying by. Although l finished the book, I knew by then that I wouldn't want to read another one in the series. A real shame, because the actual idea is brilliant.

The King's Spy: (Thomas Hill 1) (Thomas Hill Novels)
The King's Spy: (Thomas Hill 1) (Thomas Hill Novels)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting historical fiction, 8 Sept. 2016
This is an interesting book set in Oxford where Charles 1 has moved his court to and is struggling to hold the throne. Spies are everywhere as are desperate poverty and squalid conditions, graphically described in the book. This is not a period that I was very familiar with but it felt authentic as were the descriptions of codes and ciphers. I'd recommend this interesting book to fans of historical fiction plus also to those interested in the history of codes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5