Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Kerr Avon > Reviews

Content by Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon

PAC-MAN +Tournaments
PAC-MAN +Tournaments

2.0 out of 5 stars Tainted Memories, 20 July 2016
This review is from: PAC-MAN +Tournaments (App)
Controls very poor and don't work too well. "Actually Free" game is constantly interrupted by full page ads that pop up at inopportune times for example as soon as a maze starts so you cannot see your Pac-Man or the chasers until you've responded to ad. Soured a classic game and I've now in installed.

Crashing Heaven
Crashing Heaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent imaginative debut novel from an author I'll be watching ..., 5 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Crashing Heaven (Kindle Edition)
Excellent imaginative debut novel from an author I'll be watching closely on the strength of this one. I didn't realise how much I was enjoying it until I found myself diving into it at every possible opportunity, and I have to say that I haven't enjoyed a novel as much as this one in quite a while.

The story is great - fresh, different and unpredictable - and moves along at a fair pace. Characterisation is good too - especially Hugo Fist the psycho killer puppet with a foul mouth and a bad attitude.

Really looking forward to Mr Robertson's next offering.

Space Captain Smith
Space Captain Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Captain Smith is an easy read, with plenty of groan out loud moments, 4 Feb. 2016
Space Captain Smith is an easy read, with plenty of groan out loud moments, and even the odd laugh out loud moments. Some of the jokes are really corny, and you can often see them coming from a mile away, but that's what makes this so much fun.

If you like Pratchett and Adams then you will probaby enjoy this too - the humour is a similar style.

Although it is a good book, the reading flow is spoiled by poorly placed the scene breaks - by this I mean a blank line or a seperator to show that you've jumped a few hours further into the story, or when the narrative switches viewpoint. Often they are missing and on occasion they are in the wrong place (a paragraph too early or a paragraph too late) and in either case it jolts the reader out of the narrative.

This is a professionally published book and these issues are just plain sloppy. I want to buy the next book - the sense of humour is right up my street - but the prospect of encountering similar formatting problems is putting me off.

Chess Pro 3D
Chess Pro 3D

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work on Nexus 7, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Chess Pro 3D (App)
Just get a black screen when I try to play a game. Can only go back to menu or exit. Disappointing

Total War Battles
Total War Battles

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Game But Restricted On Where You Can Play, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Total War Battles (App)
This requires an "always on" internet connection to play.

What a stupid and restrictive requirement for a game designed for a mobile device. There's no earthly need for this.

Why can't I play the game I've bought and paid for when and where I like?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2013 9:09 PM GMT

Max Payne Mobile
Max Payne Mobile

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Design Spoils Great Game, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Max Payne Mobile (App)
The game is great WHEN you can play it. This is a game for a mobile device that you CANNOT play when you are mobile because you need to have an internet connection for the game to run.

Where's the sense in that? Fancy playing on a long train journey - sorry, no can do. Sat in a tent somewhere? Sorry, no can do. On the road? Sorry, no can do. A requirement to be "always connected" is a very bad idea - ask Microsoft who have just done an embarrassing about face in this respect regarding the XBox One after a massive public outcry.

One I've paid for and downloaded a game I don't want any restrictions on when and where I can play it thank you very much. Fix this and let me play my game when and where I want without any stupid requirement for an internet connection and I'll happily gibe it the 5 stars that the gameplay deserves.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely Brilliant, 29 July 2012
This book really hooked me from the off. The characters are well drawn and believable - rude, crude and real - most of them are varying shades of grey, not your usual whiter than white good guys and blacker than black bad guys.

George R.R. Martin has crafted a world that goes on around the characters and storylines, and doesn't just exist when necessary for the narrative.

Anyone who enjoyed the TV series - which was great - will absolutely LOVE the book. There is so much more going on and the characters are developed so much better.

I've been reading science fiction and fantasy for the best part of 40 years, that's a heck of a lot of reading I can tell you, and this series is easily in my top 10 of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining short story, 20 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Avatar (Kindle Edition)
A well written, well paced short story that is perfect for when you fancy a quick read.

Best description would be a crime fantasy. Will check out more by this author.

Fantasy & Science Fiction, Extended Edition
Fantasy & Science Fiction, Extended Edition

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "Mag", but Kindle experience lacking!, 13 Nov. 2011
F&SF is an excellent magazine and I was really excited to see that it is now available in a Kindle version. If you know of the mag you don't need me to tell you how good it is. If you don't know the magazine then trust me - it's good!!

I use Kindle for Android, and this is the first magazine sub I've taken out on this app, and I must say that although I love the magazine I'm very disappointed that you can't save your progress or bookmark a "page" so everytime I reopen the mag I have to scroll through to find my place, and when we're talking about novella's that's quite a lot of scrolling! It really destroys the Kindle experience for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2012 11:21 AM BST

FLASH SUPERSTORE DEDICATED SUCTION MOUNT HOLDER MADE TO MEASURE FOR HTC DESIRE S ( NOT DESIRE )
Offered by FLASHSUPERSTORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Product, 1 Sept. 2011
Great holder designed specifically for the HTC Desire S. Holds the phone securely without obscuring the charging socket or any buttons and the "goose neck" makes the phone position / orientation fully adjustable. It even has perfectly positioned holes in the back for the rear speaker, camera and flash so these can be used whilst the phone is in the holder which is a really nice touch (it's difficult to think of when you would want to do this, but hey, you CAN if you want).

Bend the neck into the desired position and it stays that way (no slippage / change), however note that it does wobble / vibrate ever so slightly whilst the vehicle is in motion which I guess is the price you have to pay for a flexible "goose neck" - it just isn't (quite) as rigid as a fixed holder. Just an observation really (not a problem) as even when being a sat-nav you only glance at the phone as you drive.

As the previous reviwer mentioned the phone needs to be "naked" (ie no case or even gel cover etc) to use this holder.

My phone spent 6 hours attached to the windscreen as a sat-nav the day after my holder arrived and everything was absolutely fine - coped with rough roads and speed bumps without any problems and quick and easy to detach and re-attach when calling at the services.

It is a well made piece of equipment that feels solid (the only bits that move ar the bits that are supposed to) and it looks good too. Only had it 2 days but it feels like it will last a long time.

I would certainly recommend this to any other owners for the HTC Desire S.