Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for C. J. Brierley > Reviews

Content by C. J. Brierley

C. J. Brierley "Crofton" (UK)

TP24 L1 (GU10) Low Energy 9w Tube Light Bulb
TP24 L1 (GU10) Low Energy 9w Tube Light Bulb

2.0 out of 5 stars slow warm up and short life, 22 Dec. 2013
I bought a holder for these bulbs for my kitchen exactly one year ago. I have been delighted with the holder and the light it gives but these energy saving bulbs are very poor. When you turn them on from cold they are extremely dim and take approximately 5 minutes to get to full brightness. Once they have warmed up the light is good but they get progressively dimmer with time and eventually fail. I have now had to replace four bulbs in 12 months, the first one after only 3 or four months. The issue with them becoming progressively dimmer is a problem with all (fluorescent type) energy saving bulbs but seems more extreme with this type. I can actually tell the age of each of the four bulbs in my fitting by observing their brightness. i have now decided that I will have to replace all the bulbs with LED types which are about twice as expensive but are promised a much longer life, do not get dimmer and do not take an age to warm up.

AQA Biology: Study Guide (Letts AS Success)
AQA Biology: Study Guide (Letts AS Success)
by John Parker
Edition: JP Oversized

1.0 out of 5 stars A rehash of a previous general AS biology revision guide, 8 Sept. 2011
Poorly written, does not follow the syllabus. Is actually very similar to the Letts old 'Revise AS Biology' for all syllabuses. It contains information no longer in the new syllabus and omits much of the new material. As a teacher of A level biology I can safely say that any sudent using this book could not be expected to get better than a C based on the material in this edition.

There Is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind
There Is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind
by Antony Flew

4.0 out of 5 stars The evidence leads to agnosticism, 30 Dec. 2007
This is an interesting book which is worth reading for the seond half. Flew effectively points to, among other things, the futility of atheism now that we know that this Universe had a beginning and we have no explanation for how it started. The fact is we do not know what 'caused' the universe and must therefore remain agnostic as to whether it was caused by an 'uncaused' god or some other Physical law we know nothing about. Flew also effecively shows that the theory of relativity and big bang lend considerable credance to the monotheistiic religions notion of an omniscient God who operates outside of space/time. I think it is true to say that the evidence has led us to this point.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2014 1:00 PM BST

D-Link DWL-G122 Wireless G USB Dongle
D-Link DWL-G122 Wireless G USB Dongle
Offered by Accessory Land

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance, 2 Feb. 2006
The product is relatively easy to install and seems to run fine to begin with. I have found with both my D-link wireless adaptors (I had a DWL-120 previously)that they start to play up after a few weeks. I am finding with the one remaining G122 I am using that it takes several reboots every morning before it runs correctly. I have found this tendancy (and the habit of just dropping its connection through the day and requiring a reboot) has occured on all three of my networked computers. I now use linksys products on the other computers which are fine. I never had a problem when running my early adaptors on Windows 98 but since having XP (about two years now) the Dlink adaptors have always been troublesome. today I tried using the latest driver release for the G122 but this did not run properly giving a VBasic run error during the instal. Several attempts resulted in the software not allowing me to uninstall it so I had to restore the computer to an earlier time. So I am sruggling on with this painful product until I get round to getting another Linksys.