Profile for jl walker > Reviews

Content by jl walker

jl walker

Page: 1 | 2
Changeling (Order of Darkness Book 1)
Changeling (Order of Darkness Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good read, 12 Jun. 2017
I have read most of Philippa Gregory's Historic novels and thought I'd try something different. This was fun and well written as I expected it would be . I believe there are more in this series, I look forward to reading them

The Uncoupling
The Uncoupling

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and fun to read, 12 Jun. 2017
This review is from: The Uncoupling (Kindle Edition)
A well written and great read. A modern moral tale.

Various Pets Alive and Dead
Various Pets Alive and Dead

4.0 out of 5 stars Marina Lewcyka does it again., 12 Jun. 2017
I have read most of Marina Lewyca's books and loved them and this was no exception. Set in the year 2008 mainly but with descriptions of the main characters upbringing in a Hippy commune the story contrasts two very different life styles in the author's original and witty style. I loved this book and was sorry when I'd finished reading and will certainly read it again as I have her other novels.

Breath
Breath

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 12 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Breath (Kindle Edition)
I heard about this author on the radio, it was recommended (even if you knew nothing about surfing)! I found the story rather bleak in parts but very well written. Set in Australia it follows the early life and growing up of two friends living in a small town, who discover the joy of surfing through an older man they meet on the way to the beach. I particularly found the claustrophobia of living in their town and the antidote and freedom of surfing very well described. Very different from my usual read!

Amy Snow: The Richard & Judy
Amy Snow: The Richard & Judy

2.0 out of 5 stars Overlong, 31 May 2017
I found myself speed reading parts of this story. Detailed descriptions of hairstyles and frocks collided with a plot involving wronged women and cads. Not my best read of the year so far.

Three Sisters, Three Queens
Three Sisters, Three Queens

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliably good, 13 May 2017
Philippa Gregory knows her Tudor history and with this book brings to life three royal women. We learn of the riches and at the same time the precarious lives they endured and enjoyed.
For those readers interested in this area I recommend this book.

Dead Beat (PI Kate Brannigan, Book 1)
Dead Beat (PI Kate Brannigan, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Giving Val a go., 10 May 2017
I have seen this author on the television and decided to try one of her novels. Of course it was well written but I could not really get involved with the characters none of which I found sympathetic. Perhaps detective fiction is not for me.

Silent Child
Silent Child

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, 10 May 2017
This review is from: Silent Child (Kindle Edition)
I feel this sort of story line has been rather overdone, child kidnap and abuse, not a good read for me.

My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises
My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises

5.0 out of 5 stars Diverse characters people this joyous novel, 10 May 2017
An unfolding story told through a series of letters delivered after the death of Elsa's granny, who it turns out is an extraordinary woman

The Museum of You
The Museum of You

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as A Song for Issy Bradley, 10 May 2017
This review is from: The Museum of You (Kindle Edition)
I had read A Song for Issy Bradley and enjoyed it so much I was delighted to see another novel by this author. This story was as good, with strong believable characters and storyline.

Page: 1 | 2