Profile for Andy > Reviews

Content by Andy

Andy (Taunton, Somerset)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Sunhouse SHTTH3 120W Tubular Heater - 3ft Tube - Built In Thermostat - 1.5M Cable 3 Pin UK Plug by Sunhouse (Dimplex Group)
Offered by Delightful-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap way to keep the chill off the garage!, 29 July 2017
Great little heater for keeping the chill off and drying garages in winter or damp weather. Does exactly what it’s supposed to do.

Loses one star as it doesn’t have a thermostat. I have this on an automated switch that comes on when the external temperature drops below a certain temperature using IFTTT.

Dyson V6 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson V6 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by euroelectricals

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product defies the laws of vacuum cleaners!, 29 July 2017
Aren’t all vacuum cleaners supposed to be heavy and cumbersome with metres of cables to get caught up in?

This truly excellent dyson can easily clean a 3 bed detached house on a single charge. Powerful and lightweight it’s just streets ahead of other vacuum cleaners. Wall mount charger has to be set up just right but simple enough and effective.

So good, our five year old thinks it’s fantastic and can’t wait to do his own room with it. Just do a Lego sweep first to avoid tears 😜 !

Toyrific Children's Tennis Set Incudes Rackets/Balls and Net
Toyrific Children's Tennis Set Incudes Rackets/Balls and Net
Offered by OrchardCreekToys

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough but a little flimsy, 29 July 2017
Decent enough at the price but will blow over in all but the calmest of days. Beats not having a net but only really suitable for tiny kids. My boy is 5 and he will probably out grow this by next summer.

Poweradd Slim2 5000mAh Portable Charger Power Bank with Auto Detect Technology for iPhones, iPods, Samsung Galaxy series Phones (Lightning Cable Not Included) - Black
Offered by Poweradd

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive life-saver!, 29 July 2017
Fairly quick to charge this device was bought when my wife was doing a 50k run and was concerned her phone may give up. It’s always in her bag now and she’s never out of juice. Charges her iPhone 6S about 3 or 4 times on a single charge of the device. Also easily fits into the smallest of pockets. Great little device!

Sephia SX16 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, Foldable, On Ear, Stereo, Bass Driven Sound for iPhone, iPod, iPad, Samsung, Tablets etc ( Colour may vary red - black)
Offered by Sephia

5.0 out of 5 stars comfy, fab sound and inexpensive - great value!, 8 May 2017
I was looking for a pair of comfortable Bluetooth headphones which weren't going to break the bank whilst I go to the gym or just relaxing at home. These seemed *too cheap* but the reviews read quite well, so I figured there wasn't much to lose.
I needn't have worried. They fit really nicely (and even my 5-year old can wear them in the car connected to his tablet when we're on a road trip!). The only slight downside is that because of the vinyl/foam covering the ears, there's a little bit of sweatiness going on after finishing up at the gym. That's a tiny price to pay for such great value. The sound is quite rich and they block the noise really well. I've tried headphones for way more than these which aren't as useable. The newer versions are a little slimmer which is probably a good thing, you don't want them any bulkier than these guys, but they're well within tolerances!

Learn Italian: Speak Like a Native with Subliminal Messages
Learn Italian: Speak Like a Native with Subliminal Messages
Offered by Audible Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your time and money on this nonsense, 17 Feb. 2017
I'm not sure what I expected from this book. I certainly didn't get anything other than almost totally ripped off. It would get zero stars if I could do that. Maybe it opens your mind to more receptive learning techniques. I seriously doubt it.

Being a "Learn Italian" book, I did anticipate some linguistics, (like the "earworms" series) but what I got was absurd.

The first 10 minutes involved the repetition of a series of chants such as; "I'm good at learning Italian" and "Italian comes easy to me" etc etc. Note to the publisher: adding echo and reverb to this kind of drivel does not make it any better.

I foolishly expected it to improve. It didn't. The next 10 minutes was simple, dull guitar muzak with no obvious point. This was followed by 10 minutes of white noise - what on earth?? (Ok so I was listening whilst at the gym and thought I'd see it through). Next up was a rain and thunderstorm soundtrack. I lost it at this point. Seriously, how are people daring to make money at this kind of thing?

This is forty minutes of my life I'll never get back. Thankfully the good folk at Audible refunded my purchase (it was a monthly book credit not the insane GBP£30 that the publisher is charging) so at least I have some of my sanity and self-esteem restored.

Do not buy this nonsense. Don't even think about it. My wife thought I'd lost the plot. I very nearly did.

iPhone 6s Screen Protector - Anker GlassGuard (Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector with LIFETIME WARRANTY) for Apple iPhone 6s (4.7 inch)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says & does it well. Easy to fit!, 14 Jan. 2017
This is the third anker screen protector I've fitted. Needless to say it's saved a hefty expense at least once. Couple this with a fairly simple transparent bumper case and you have great protection for your phone.

Very easy to fit, the supplied instructions and various cleaning / stickers make a professional looking finish easy. Doesn't leave "unstuck" bits around the edges it's really hard to see it's actually on there and way better than the inferior cheaper versions out there. You'll not regret fitting this

Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation), Black
Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation), Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very slick & works well with LightwaveRF and Nest home automation, 28 Nov. 2016
I was initially a little put off by some of the negative reviews on here. I tried out a dot to see if it worked for me and boy did she deliver. Maybe she's not all that to everyone but I had specific needs and expectations (e.g. music, news, smart home stuff etc) and Alexa met them all and then some.

It's very responsive works well even when connected to a loud Bose sound dock. Almost always getting what I say 100% correct. It's not quite as smart as, say, Siri but then it's not intended for complex commands (like dictating a message) and works really well. The only downside of using a connected speaker is that you obviously have to make sure that speaker is powered on (periods of inactivity sends mine to sleep)

The dot speaker is actually a lot better than I thought. It's fine for occasional music use (think old school bedside or kitchen radio).

I find the services are more than adequate and the "flash briefing" (news) and "sports update" work pretty well (mainly via Sky news and Sky Sports news). Prime music is superb and has really reinvigorated my use of this. (I find the Prime music app UI quite messy & using Alexa for it is now a breeze!) - "Alexa, play some ambient house" or "Alexa, play Heart FM" and the locale awareness provides the local version of the radio station via TuneIn

What really brought it home to me though, was the ability to integrate with my LightwaveRF home automation kit and Nest thermostats with total ease. Simply "learn skill" & log into the appropriate account. Link. Done! I'm now able to say "Alexa turn heating to 20 degrees" and watch / gawk as my thermostats spin up almost immediately. "Alexa turn heating down" drops them a degree at a time. Using the useful "group device" function means I can control both Nests at the same time or saying "Alexa turn off downstairs lights" does just that.

Love this and for the money I will be placing more echos in other rooms. Makes Sonos seem ridiculously overpriced and dull by comparison.

Gold stars Amazon, lots of them!

*edit* contrary to some other reviews this works fine with a BT Home Hub 5 & BT internet.

Amazon Echo, Black
Amazon Echo, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very slick & works well with LightwaveRF and Nest, 27 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Amazon Echo, Black (Electronics)

I find the services are more than adequate and the "flash briefing" (news) and "sports update" work pretty well. Prime music is always used (unlike some reviewers) and has really reinvigorated my use of this. (I find the Prime music app UI quite messy & using Alexa for it is now a breeze!)

What really brought it home to me though, was the ability to integrate with my LightwaveRF home automation kit and Nest thermostats with total ease. Simply "learn skill" & log into the appropriate account. Link. Done! I'm now able to say "Alexa turn heating to 20 degrees" and watch / gawk as my thermostats spin up almost immediately. "Alexa turn heating down" drops them a degree at a time. Using the useful "group device" function means I can control both Nests at the same time or saying "Alexa turn off lights" does just that.

Gold stars Amazon, lots of them!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2017 6:41 AM GMT

Screen Protector for Apple Watch,Tempered Glass Screen Protector Ultra High Definition for iWatch (42mm)
Offered by topring

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but fiddly to fit, quite brittle and edges chip easily, 12 Sept. 2016
It's slightly awkward to fit as for obvious reasons it can't bend around the edges of the screen. For that reason it's hard to centre properly. It stands slightly proud of the watch face and this makes be edges prone to splintering. I've had this just a few weeks now and whilst I'm sure it helps protect the watch it's starting to look pretty tatty
Comment Comment | Permalink