Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now
Profile for Alex Williams > Reviews

Content by Alex Williams

Alex Williams (Northamptonshire, UK)

Going the Distance [DVD] [2010]
Going the Distance [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Drew Barrymore
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars This movie is my life!, 6 Dec. 2014
This movie is good, but it's kinda hard for me to watch as I lived it. I met a girl in New York when living there, spent 6 weeks together and then I had to leave. This movie makes me, a grown man shed a tear, maybe because it's so close to what's going on in my life? I don't know? I really hope I'll see that girl again one day?

Ghost In The Shell 2.0 Redux [DVD]
Ghost In The Shell 2.0 Redux [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mamoru Oshii
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

1.0 out of 5 stars If you've never seen this movie don't buy this version!, 15 Jun. 2013
I like to think a movie should be a product of its time. Having seen Ghost In The Shell back in the 90's that how I like to remember it. I love this movie, its probably the best sci-fi ever! I hate when any movie gets remastered, but this is a classic, why tamper with it? When I watch this movie I like that it takes me back to a different time, when i watch this version it confuses me with the crappy newly added CGI scene, its not needed!

$#*! My Dad Says [DVD]
$#*! My Dad Says [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Shatner

5.0 out of 5 stars Are They Ever Going to Release This?, 5 May 2013
This review is from: $#*! My Dad Says [DVD] (DVD)
I love this show, then they took it away from us, the least they could do is give us the series on DVD to watch!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2013 10:50 PM BST

Achtung Baby [20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition]
Achtung Baby [20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition]
Offered by Great Price Media EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, but do you really need to buy it again?, 4 April 2012
Yes its one of the best albums ever made, by one of the greatest band of all time at their peak, but if your a big enough U2 fan you don't need to waste the money on an album with a bunch of B-side you should already have!

U218 Singles [VINYL]
U218 Singles [VINYL]

1.0 out of 5 stars Best Of for the casual fans, 2 April 2012
This review is from: U218 Singles [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Ok im not dissing the music of U2 because that is a 5 star rating! especially the stuff in the middle (the 90's stuff) Which I think is one of the problems with this release, wheres the tracks from 'Zooropa' & 'POP' two of their best albums in my opinion! This is an album made for the casual U2 fans who likes those songs they heard on the radio? and maybe just got into U2 after 2000? Where they just changed into a completely different band! Its all the safe U2 songs, theres no experimental U2 here! Don't bother with this, buy 'Achtung Baby' 'Zooropa' & 'POP' for a ture U2 experience!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2012 9:07 PM BST

Pop
Pop
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstood Masterpiece!, 28 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Pop (Audio CD)
I remember when 'POP' came out about two weeks before my 13th birthday. I think I had just got into U2 after hearing one of their finest songs ' Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me' on the Batman Forever soundtrack. So it was a real big deal for me at the time (with me being to young to remember the ZOO TV madness), I remember there was something of a big promotional build up, with a TV documentary, the Discotheque single, and the massive PopMart tour being announced at a press conference in a K-Mart store in New York?!

I think this must've been one of the first albums i ever bought, at the time i think it was like £15 from Our Price? taking a good chunk of my birthday money!
And i have to be honest, when i got home gave it a play the only track i really liked (or bothered with) was Discotheque. But slowly as time went on (when i got bored of listening to Discotheque over and over) i gave the other tracks a try and found them to be even better, so much that it would be the only thing i would let my Dad put on in the car!

Anyway sorry for the trip down memory lane.

I think i've read somewhere that the band have never been happy with the album, because they were rushed into finishing so it would be out before the start of the already book PopMart tour. Im not sure if this is just an excuse for poor sale? bad reaction from fans? But i guess there could be some turth to it?
But to be honest i think this has made for a better sound, even though it heavily uses lots of sampling, programming, loops, drum machines, and sequencing, it still has a rawer sound from the usual over polished U2 sound. Even though this was U2 trying their hardest to be ultra modern, new and hip, it probably has a rawness closer to their earliest stuff.

It could be nostalgia talking? Or it maybe be the fact this is a kick ass album! but i would rank 'POP' top of U2's albums, if not my top album of the 90's!, with 'Achtung Baby' a very close second!
I think it's the last album U2 put any effort into. I get the feeling they don't want to take anymore risk like they did with 'POP', it paid of with 'Achtung Baby', but people just didn't understand what they were trying to doing with 'POP'. And as a result, (jugding from everything that has come after it) they like to play it safe now, and its boring, and very sad when you know one of your favourite bands is 'past it'

No Line On The Horizon
No Line On The Horizon
Offered by positivenoise

1.0 out of 5 stars Past it!, 27 Mar. 2012
This review is from: No Line On The Horizon (Audio CD)
They made it to megastar status, they reinvented themselves, they had a second comeback, and now it seems like their just not trying!
I really enjoy the way U2 like to have a theme and a new style with every album, but this time nothing! But I guess now all being in their 50's and with all their millions, the inspiration has gone. It kind of feels like an album thats just been put out for the sake of putting out an album!
The only positive thing I can say is, that thanks to this album the magnificents that is 'POP' is not rank so low among other U2 albums anymore.