Profile for Angus > Reviews

Content by Angus

Angus (Knutsford)

Asleep In The Back
Asleep In The Back

5.0 out of 5 stars Still an Outstanding, Meaningful Debut Years After Release, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Asleep In The Back (MP3 Download)
Shortly after the release (and purchase) of the Seldom Seen Kid I found myself looking at the back-catalogue of Elbow albums, working my way backwards until I got to this album, and I am very glad that I did.
Whilst it may not be instantly agreeable, time will show that Asleep in the Back is a chillingly beautiful album that epitomises the work that Elbow puts into their albums. The album as a whole sounds perfectly crafted, reflecting how much effort and love the Elbow guys put into every single song that they ever make. Every song has a meaning, a great contrast to the pointless music that fills the Top 40 these days, and each one is a great song in it's own right.
Upon looking at the track list again in an attempt to pick out a few songs to recommend I realised that there are none, they are all so good that it would be wrong to pick out any of them. There are the easier to get into songs such as Any Day Now, Red, Powder Blue and Asleep in the Back, but when you listen further it becomes apparent that the rest of the album is fantastic and beautiful, listening to the lyrics and Guy's vocals it is hard to dislike any song.
Any person that has heard and liked any Elbow material from any album and other similar artists, such as Doves, I Am Kloot, Badly Drawn Boy and Fleet Foxes have to consider the purchase of this album.
I fully recommend this album, a must-buy for all Elbow fans.

Day of the Assassins (Jack Christie Novels)
Day of the Assassins (Jack Christie Novels)
by Johnny O'Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting way to learn history, 2 Jun. 2009
I really enjoyed this book as I'm studying this period of history at school. It makes you think what you would do if you were in the same situation as Jack. It helps bring history to life in such an exciting way but you still get a sense of what really happened & what is fiction. It also builds to a great climax - I can't wait for the next one.