Profile for Mr. G. Johnston > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. Johnston

Mr. G. Johnston "hamrag2" (Carnforth, Lancs.)

Page: 1 | 2
JVC Advanced Media/ Taiyo Yuden CD-R 80 minute digital audio 700Mb plain silver top

5.0 out of 5 stars No frills but audio thrills, 22 Jun. 2013
Seeing as nobody has yet reviewed this product and there is little information on the Amazon page, thought I'd throw some light on these CD-R's.
They are manufactured in Japan in a joint venture between JVC Victor Co. Ltd. & Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.
As you may, or may not, know Japanese manufactured CD's are some of the best available on the market and after trying other brands of discs I now
insist on only using their CD-R's & DVD+/-R's. (HHB discs are a good second choice, but are quite hard to find these days).
At the time of writing I have never had any discs that have malfunctioned or been rejected by my Tascam CD Recorder or any other branded CD player.
This certainly can't be said for other brands of discs.
They come re-packed in a 25 pack 'cake' spindle and are plain 'silver' fronted CD-R's.
Audio reproduction is very good and I am always very happy with the end results.
Buy with confidence!

Thin Lizzy [VINYL]
Thin Lizzy [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Thin Lizzy 1st LP, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Thin Lizzy [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Rather than review the music on this album (which many other people have already done), it might be handy for some people to know about the vinyl re-issue from Light In The Attic which I purchased from a Amazon Marketplace seller recently. It comes in a heavy duty gatefold sleeve with the original UK Decca artwork on the front & rear of the sleeve and inside the gatefold you get the original US London records artwork. The front of the sleeve also has a Japanese style obi strip which gives details to any potential purchasers in a record shop (are there any left?).
Also included in the package is a 4 page booklet which gives extensive background information to the making of their first LP and an interview with Eric Bell plus some B&W photos. There is also a large poster included & a Light In The Attic 32 page mini magazine which has articles on their other releases.
The vinyl is 180g in weight and sounds very good with no pressing blemishes that I can hear or see. A lovely sound utilizing a 24bit/96kHz mastering from the original tapes. And to put the cherry on top of the whole package, the original UK Decca labels are reproduced on the record itself.
All in all a superb vinyl re-issue which puts a lot of other companies to shame. If only all re-issues were like this.
4 stars for the music (reviewed many times elsewhere as previously mentioned) & 5 stars for the Light In The Attic edition.

World Routes: On the Road
World Routes: On the Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Good "route" to world music, 8 April 2012
Well, looking at the two reviews already posted here we have one person giving it five stars and another giving it just one. Hopefully my review will give a bit more balance.
For the price, sound quality of the recordings, quality of the performances & the very informative booklet mean that this 2CD release is a great compilation of 'World Music',
whether you're an expert or just someone dipping their toe in the water.
I can honestly say that the whole set left me captivated and reading the sleevenotes to each song as it was playing was a wonderful way to pass a couple of hours. Obviously, some people will be left out (as one reviewer mentioned) but if you were to include every great song recorded by the BBC3 team the set would run to dozens of CD's....and that would be prohibitively expensive.
Having listened to several World Music compilations over the years, this is definitely one of my favourites.
Buy with confidence and hopefully listening to some of these great artists will encourage you to explore more widely the different music from around the globe (including the ones that didn't make it onto this CD set!)

Two-Way Family Favourites
Two-Way Family Favourites

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my 'favourites' this year, 1 Nov. 2010
I purchased this a couple of months ago when it was only available direct from the artists themselves, but am now glad that it has the opportunity of reaching a wider audience via various other outlets (e.g. Amazon).
I've really enjoyed listening to this and still am 2 months down the line. I'm guessing that the recordings were done in their own home studio & I prefer this fact rather than the songs having a 'over produced' feel. Feeling over hi-gloss polish is one way of describing this great CD.
They're all cover versions of songs that Eric & Amy obviously have a great love for. In fact I prefer their versions of 'I Get Out Of Breath' (originally by The Turtles) & 'You Tore Me Down' (originally by The Flamin' Groovies) and make you want to investigate further the recordings of the original performers and/or songwriters.
I'll stick my neck out and say that I quite like their version of 'Fernando'. I'm not an Abba fan by any stretch of the imagination, but their version has helped me to listen to the 'song' apart from the baggage attached to it because it was originally done by the famous Swedish combo.
Tom Petty is another artist I've never felt any affinity towards, but again their version of 'Walls' has made me realize that maybe he's not that bad.
My only complaint is that 'Scotland Then & Now' is so short! Maybe it's a case of leave the audience wanting more.
I could carry on with every song on this CD but I'm sure that by now you've got the impression that I like this. Eric is known for doing reviews of reviews on his website, so hopefully if he or Amy read this they'll like this one.
Looking forward to Volume 2.

Collaborations
Collaborations
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative box set, 27 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Collaborations (Audio CD)
I can only agree with everyone else here. This is a very aesthetically pleasing box set - maybe one of the best I have come across in years. I have heard all the albums a long time ago and have just started re-listening to "Chants of India" (disc 1 on this set). Beautiful music, very uplifting and the book that comes with this...stunning. The sheer quality of the whole presentation of the book and the discs themselves is outstanding (maybe the Apple Records box set should have been like this?)
Apparently, this is a limited edition of 10,000 copies worldwide? (Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Snap this up quickly if you can. NOT to be missed. Full marks to Rhino/Dark Horse & Olivia Harrison and everyone else for doing a superb job.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2010 1:25 PM GMT

Apple Box Set
Apple Box Set
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Apple in a box, 27 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Apple Box Set (Audio CD)
Seeing as my first review has been 'blocked' by someone at Amazon I'll try again (Why?!) This is a collection of 2010 re-masters of some of the LP's released by that label between 1968 - 1974.
On the plus side the set works out quite cheaply per disc (there's 17 CD's in here) & we have new sleeve notes, some new photos & the previously mentioned new remastering.
On the minus side, as a previous reviewer has mentioned, the receptacle that holds all the CD's is akin to a small cornflake box in its rigidity. You need to be very careful when handling this. Also an extra booklet with maybe a UK/US discography and some extra photos wouldn't go amiss. I'd be quite happy to pay an extra £5-10 for a rigid box & an extra booklet, but I don't work for Apple so it's not up to me! For another few pounds on top of that maybe a DVD with some Apple promo films, etc.? Oh well, that's what I would have done but there you go.
In conclusion, nice to see all these available again but marred by a flimsy box. Maybe I could try and make my own unique wooden box to hold them all in (...now there's an idea!)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2010 9:56 PM GMT

The Norman Conquests [DVD] [1977]
The Norman Conquests [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Tom Conti

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 1970's TV Drama, 14 Aug. 2009
A previous reviewer has given a superlative synopsis of this 3 part Thames Television drama and I'd like to add that I have enjoyed in immensely as well. I've borrowed it twice from my local library and am constantly struck by the fact that ITV would never dare to show something like this over three consecutive evenings (during prime time) in the 21st Century.
How times have changed.
I was thinking of buying a copy from Amazon, but I see that this title is now deleted and is only available via Marketplace sellers at a eye-brow raising price (must still be a popular title). Let's hope it is re-issued some time in the future as a drama like this certainly needs to be seen.

P.S. Amazon might not let me say this, but I'm not quite sure what the reviewer "E.Grey" is talking about. All the products he/she has reviewed have been given 1 star, so read into that what you will.

Feeling Space
Feeling Space

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy-on-the-ear Yoko, 24 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Feeling Space (Audio CD)
This was Yoko's last LP for Apple released in 1973 and utilised many of the musicians that her husband John used on his 'Mind Games' album. Both albums were released at around the same time.
This is probably one of Yoko's most mainstream releases and the best one to start with if you don't fancy the early 90's Ryko compilation CD. There's hardly any 'screaming' on this one, which can be off putting if you're new to Yoko's 'thing'. The album was well produced & engineered at the time of its original release and sounds even better now thanks to some gentle re-mastering (thankfully not just a case of turning the volume up in a mastering studio somewhere and then calling it "re-mastered" because it's louder...other artists please take note).
Anyway, this review pertains to the mini-LP paper sleeve edition from 2007 and the attention to detail has been carried out very well. Even the original Garrod & Lofthouse plain white inner sleeve has been re-produced faithfully with just "PATENT Nos. 1,125,555" & "MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN" written at the bottom. With such attention to detail it's a crying shame that Yoko couldn't strike a deal with Apple Corps to allow the original LP label to appear on the CD itself and original Apple logos to appear on the sleeve as well. (Yoko now holds the copyright to these early 70's releases and not Apple). Maybe all the red tape that would needed to be waded through was just too much for anyone to face.Presumably the other releases in this series have suffered the same fate. Although the original catalogue number (SAPCOR 26) survived the air brushing on the top right of the front of the sleeve.
I'll take off my 'anorak' now and let you, hopefully, click the BUY button.

Finest
Finest
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Their "Finest" Compilation?, 21 April 2008
This review is from: Finest (Audio CD)
A superb compilation which as a previous reviewer has stated does not just concentrate on material released as 7" singles. The only other Hollies material I have in my collection is a 1970's compilation LP which only containes single tracks, so to have the broad sweep of this package is great. OK, so die hard Hollies fans will already have all this stuff several times over, but this compilation isn't aimed at them (I guess the 6CD box set would be more in their line).

The remastering has been handled very well and is not too harsh. You get 2CD's in the package with a few lines in the booklet penned by the drummer, Bobby Elliott. Also included are photo's of all the LP & EP sleeves & some of the 7" singles as well as a few other group shots. It's also nice to see detailed in the sleeve notes the original release dates of the various single & album tracks and what albums they came from. Something quite simple to include but so often missed from compilations that are available by many other artists.

When I bought this in April '08 it was just under a fiver. So, if like me, you have very little Hollies material in your collection (or none at all and are just curious) then this is certainly one of the best ones to go for at the moment. Even if the price goes up a bit in the future it's still a bargain.

Caravan - 35th Anniversary Concert [2003] [DVD] [2008]
Caravan - 35th Anniversary Concert [2003] [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Caravan

4.0 out of 5 stars Caravan Live At The Bloomsbury Theatre 2003, 8 July 2007
I purchased this set awhile ago but thought I'd leave a review as I've just recently watched it again.

The first thing that struck me on seeing this for a second time is the superlative musicianship throughout the concert. Unlike many other groups of a similar age returning to some of their old chestnuts, these modern performances are just as good if not slightly better than the originals - with a couple of new numbers thrown in as well. They must have put in a lot of practice (they were also at the end of a tour as well) and the choice of material is also excellent including 'Golf Girl', 'Memory Lain Hugh/Headloss', 'Nightmare' & my personal favourite 'Nine Feet Underground'. Even though it lasts for over 20 minutes it doesn't seem so as in reality it's several shorter songs strung together.

Special mention must go to Doug Boyle for his fantastic guitar work, Jan Schelhaas on keyboards and...well, everybody played well !

"But why no 5 stars?", you may ask. As a previous reviewer has pointed out Pye Hastings seems to be struggling with some of his vocal parts. As you may know he has quite a soft singing voice and because none of us are getting any younger he's finding it hard to reach some notes he may have found easy when a man in his twenties. That's not putting him down or anything, just that he may need to rethink his vocal approach to his songs as, for example, Roger Daltrey has done with the rejuvenated Who (If you've seen any of their recent live performances you'll hear that he's adapted his singing style slightly so he can cope with things.)

Anyway, it's just a thought. Hope you don't give me a left hook if you're reading this, Pye !

In conclusion,it's still worth buying if you take into account what's mentioned above and, by the way, the concert was on 30th November 2003 (as stated on the front of the case) and not 30th June (as stated on the back). There's no 5.1 sound, just stereo, but is mixed well and sounds fine. Don't forget...where else can you hear someone playing garden shears 'live' on stage ?!

Page: 1 | 2