Profile for Mrs. T. Greenhough > Reviews

Enduring Love
Enduring Love
by Ian McEwan

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard to endure..., 19 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Enduring Love (Paperback)
Ian McEwan is inarguably a good writer. He paints fantastic mental images, and has an interesting way with words. However, this does not stop him from being boring, self indulgent, and pretentious. The character of Joe is clearly just McEwan, and because of this we've got a boring, self indulgent, and pretentious narrator for 245 pages. Both his plot and character development are paper thin. With no likeable, or even interesting, characters; they all just seem to moan for the most part. There are times were the book picks up pace and becomes somewhat readable and then goes on to a tangent about Darwinism, or lesser known scientific ideas. It almost feels as fifty percent of the book is completely irrelevant to the plot, and is just the ramblings of the author. I read a review that called it a "page turner", that you "couldn't put down if you intend getting any sleep that night", let me assure you this, I'm afraid, not the case. Stay clear. I struggled to finish it, and that, to me, is the sign of a bad book.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2016 11:56 AM GMT

Kill List [DVD]
Kill List [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neil Maskell
Offered by streetsahead

5.0 out of 5 stars Kill List, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Kill List [DVD] (DVD)
As an avid horror fan I often try to keep an eye out for the new, the scary, and the independent. When I saw the trailer for Kill List online I didn't expect much; another cheap, poorly made and researched Wicker Man rip off. But after having read sizzling reviews praising both Ben Wheatley and Neil Maskel, I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm not someone who get's scared by films, I watch too many, and as a fan of behind camera work am often left unconvinced. Kill List left me speechless. From the opening scenes of a colourless, grainy semi-detached in Sheffield, to the final satanic, evil ritual, I was completely entranced by the script, the performance, Mr Wheatley's incredible eye for horror, and the superb soundtrack.

Combining scuzzy, realistic, kitchen sink drama, with terrifying cult horror "Kill List" is a real winner. There's no such thing as a perfect horror film, it is impossible, but I think in modern cinema this is as close as you're going to get. Whilst the violent, un flinching, fight scenes may be too much for some, for those who can stomach it, this is unmissable, phenomenal film making.

Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 1 [DVD] [2011]
Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 1 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Brendan O'Carroll

1.0 out of 5 stars Trash TV at it's worst!, 31 Oct. 2011
I was told by a friend there was a hilarious, new comedy from the BBC called "Mrs Brown's Boys". I decided to give it a watch, big mistake. This is un-funny, crude, loud, and very juvenile. The type of thing you'd expect an eleven year old school boy to write. The jokes could have been stolen from a Christmas cracker, they're that stupid! However, stupid isn't the problem. Stupid can be funny. Funny, and clever, take for example There's Something About Mary or Only Fools And Horses. This is a crude, un-funny loud bit of trash TV. Very, very poor indeed!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2012 11:21 PM GMT

Submarine [DVD]
Submarine [DVD]
Dvd ~ Craig Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't think, click buy!, 27 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Submarine [DVD] (DVD)
Richard Ayoade, from Garth Marenghi and IT Crowd fame, makes his feature film debut in this hillarious, touching, and beautifully shot coming of age comedy drama. This is film is incredible. There really is nothing more to it. From the opening credit's to the closing credtis, we are fully encaptured by the films witty script, and fantastic acting. Paddy Considine, Sally Hawkins, Noah Taylor, Yasmin Paige, and Craig Roberts all dazzle and amuse. You couldn't have cast this film better, they all play there roles convincingly and with great chemistry. It's behind the camera that makes this film stuns though. For a first time film director Richard Ayoade is phenominal. With great camera movement and timing, he owns the script. This film is funny, touching and down right brilliant. Don't think, buy!

The League Of Gentlemen - Series 3 (2002) [DVD]
The League Of Gentlemen - Series 3 (2002) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mark Gatiss
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the first two series, ignore the other reviews!, 7 Mar. 2011
Although I can understand why some people didn't welcome the new format, I embraced it with open arms. Yes the first two series, the Christmas Special and the Live Show were great, however the beauty of such a show is that The League Of Gentlemen is just a group of comic writers and performers, and therefore they aren't restricted to just Royston Vasey. The hilarious foursome have even said that they always wanted to move on from Royston Vasey and do something different under the same name.

The highlights of the series for me were Episode 1,3,5 and six. All of which are fantastic. The others are brilliant. But they stand out the most.

If you welcome change and are true fans of the League then you'll love this, so what Tubbs and Edward aren't in it, it's still a great series.

P.S This series is slightly more dirty than the others so be cautious with viewers under fourteen.

Demons: Series 1 [DVD] [2009]
Demons: Series 1 [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Philip Glenister
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't take it to seriously and you might just enjoy it..., 21 Feb. 2011
Despite the fact I agree that it isn't exactly TV gold, I do have to say I thought this was great! The acting is pretty solid for the most part, the writing is good, and the direction is quite good.
I think Christian Crook is a good lead as Luke, he carries the series well, which is vital as he holds the narrative together. I wouldn't listen to the other reviews as they have mis understood the program. This isn't for adults this is a family show! If you take this seriously you won't enjoy it, it's purpose is to entertain not to give you something to think about, leave that to Being Human. If you want to have a nice chilled out evening with a good show to keep you entertained for the night this is perfect! A very good show, both thumbs up from me!

Bravado Mens Flight Of The Conchords - Jermaine Face - Beige - Mens t-shirt Small Beige 30229000AP Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 11 Feb. 2011
Quick delivery speed, and a nice design, shame about the material. It's itchy and uncomfortable, however this is still a great t-shirt.

Skins - Series 5 [DVD]
Skins - Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dakota Blue Richards
Offered by Helgy

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge it by the first two episodes!, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Skins - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
I must say I am completely eating my words! This is the second review I have left for this, and I am proud to say I am wrong! I did not like the beginning of this series, at all! However we are now nearing the end of this series and it really has vastly improved. The acting has got better and the writing is back on top form, still the worst series when it comes to Skins but a still a very good series!

Youth in Revolt [DVD]
Youth in Revolt [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Cera
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Hmm... Give it a second chance, 20 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Youth in Revolt [DVD] (DVD)
Having this highly recommended to me by a friend I was very eager to watch this, perhaps the hype was what made my first viewing of the film a relatively laugh free experience. But there was something about this film, a charm, that made me compelled to give it a second chance. And I must say I'm rather glad I did.

This little gem of an indie teen comedy is, in my opinion, just what this dying genre of "teen comedies" needed. Yes it some times falls flat, but luckily this film has enough of an original slant and charm to keep it trudging along until the end.

Overall I think it is a very sweet and funny movie. Yes, it has major flaws, however there is something about this film that I really like, and continue to like. I would highly recommend this film if you want to sit back and have a nice little movie to finish a long day.

For the record, the special features are pretty rubbish.

Colin [DVD] [2008]
Colin [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Alastair Kirton

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not bad at all...., 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Colin [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Colin is an ultra (ultra) low budget zombie movie. And to it's credit it's not half bad! It's surprisingly well acted and very atmospheric which is difficult to create on any budget, but in this they genuinely pull it off!

The negatives, the camera quality is very poor, and I know, I know it was a crap camera and that's the point, but it really distracted me. The biggest downfall for this film though is in fact the directors choice to have shakey cam in EVERY bloody scene! It drives me crazy! A scene will be tense, and tight as a drum, and you'll be really intrigued and pulled in to the story, and then the shakey cam comes and and you're thrown back out lost, and back where you were five minutes ago!

The positives, this concept is original and very fresh. I'm sure the likes of Romero and Rodriguez are sat at home kicking themselves! And because of this originality it creates a very unique and endearing narrative, that almost makes you love the Colin character and feel genuine empathy for the character.

This film is no where near perfect, there are alot of faults. Having said that, despite my better judgement I loved Colin, it's new, original and very entertaining at times! A real, gory treat!

Page: 1 | 2