Profile for "philbennett9" > Reviews

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower
The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars At last the series ends..., 1 Oct. 2004
If like me, you've been waiting since the early 1980's for this series to conclude, then wait no longer. I bought the book with some trepidation; did I really want it to end after all that time?
King combines fantasy, science fiction, and sheer story-telling here, wrapping up some of the unanswered questions die-hard readers have been wanting to know for some time. His treatment of the ka-tet, Roland, Susannah, Eddie, Jake and Oy is superb as ever. I've often been critical of King's endings except for a few books of his, he doesn't seem to be able to do them well. This is one of the times he does it well.
It's not 5 stars for me, but unmissable for fans of the series. Don't start with this book if you haven't read the series, it will make NO sense at all. Start with the Gunslinger, and wind your way here.
If you want to know some of my criticisms, read below but there are HUGE spoilers..... I'd really only go further if you've already read the book. Then again, if you've read the book, why would you be reading reviews?
.... spoilers ....
(never mind, read the book and draw your own conclusions...):-)

The Honourable Schoolboy (Coronet Books)
The Honourable Schoolboy (Coronet Books)
by John Le Carré

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely magnificent., 24 April 2000
This book, the second in the so-called "Smiley versus Karla" trilogy, is bar none, Le Carre's best novel. It is about a complicated ploy by George Smiley, now re-instated in the circus and it's new head, to gain revenge on Karla and Moscow Centre over it's decades long humiliation by the hands of a British spy. The novel is primarily based in the far east, mainly in Hong Kong and reaching out to war-torn Cambodia. The man on the scene, set to land the coup, is Jerry Westerby, a sometime news Reporter, a some time spy for the circus. Unfortunately for him, the cards are stacked against him from the outset. I would read Tinker Tailor before reading this novel, so as to have much of the background knowledge needed. But in my mind this is LeCarre's finest work. Pity the excellent Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Smiley's People didn't have this gem filmed along with them as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2016 12:59 PM GMT

Remorseful Day (Inspector Morse)
Remorseful Day (Inspector Morse)
by Colin Dexter

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovingly written farewell., 17 Oct. 1999
Unfortunately, it was John Thaw himself who broke the news of Morse's passing to me on the radio, and I was determined not to find out why until I read the book. Last week I obtained a signed copy and read it every morning on my train journey into work. On Friday morning I was down to the last few pages choking back tears of my own. I think the story matters very little with this one, it is the interplay between the characters we are concerned with and Dexter does this extremely well here. He put alot of thought and attention to things, and to my mind didn't ruin the ending by doing something too corny (like promoting one of the main characters up through the ranks). Undoubtedly we will see this on television in the next few years, but read the book. The chapters are short and punchy, and I've always liked Dexter's quotations he manages to drag up to decorate his chapters with.