Profile for B. T. Hood > Reviews

Content by B. T. Hood

B. T. Hood "Captain BirdsEye" (Essex)

Lexmark - Print cartridge - 1 x black - 410 pages
Lexmark - Print cartridge - 1 x black - 410 pages
Offered by AONESTATIONERY

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Solution, 21 Aug. 2013
A branded cartridge for an old printer, that was still working fine, at a true clearance price (£1 on top of the actual carriage paid by the supplier). You can't do better than that!

Casio W-86-1VQES Men's Digital Resin Strap Watch
Casio W-86-1VQES Men's Digital Resin Strap Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Repeat Buy, 9 Jun. 2013
I bought this exact same model in year 1999 as a temporary make do while my expensive Omega Seamaster was away for repair. Since then I have used it whenever I did not wish to risk damage to or loss of my other expensive watches. In 2000 I started sailing a dinghy and it became my sailing watch, frequently dipped in the sea on every trip. It is robust and totally reliable. Over the years I have put 2 or 3 new batteries in it and dismantled it to vaseline the push buttons to help resist the salt water. It is still working but the moulding has now cracked around the strap spindle. So I searched for an exact same model replacement and magic........ Casio still do it! Absolutely delighted to have a new one for so little cost. I recommend you buy this particular model with a specific water depth rating if you are likely to dip it rather than the slightly cheaper ones with vague "water resistant" spec.. Strap is on the short side, so could be problem for iron pumpers!

Mikado Lu Milk Chocolate Sticks, 75g
Mikado Lu Milk Chocolate Sticks, 75g

2.0 out of 5 stars Solder Sucker, 25 April 2013
FIRST INPUT
A good tool and excellent value for money. Does the business! As far as I can tell the equal of much more expensive similar industrial grade tools of which I have several worn out examples. I also found that the spare tip has the same dia and thread as my worn out expensive ones so may be able to resurrect another. I recommend this tool without hesitation and have decided to order another one while the opportunity exists!
SUBSEQUENT INPUT
I have now had time to give the tool some use and am not as impressed as I first was. It is a typical 90% right Chinese copy of a more expensive industrial one. The problem is that the spigot cannot be projected fully through the nozzle on reload to clear solder slivers. The result is that the nozzle rapidly clags up with solder. It is necessary to unscrew the nozzle to clear it from the back. Whereupon you encounter the next problem: the spring is between the nozzle and the piston and not behind the piston (as it should be)so it falls out. When screwing in the nozzle this is against some residual spring tension making it awkward and prone to cross threading. The spring tension on the plastic nozzle thread during unscrewing/screwing will result in rapid thread wear and stripping. Then you will need the free spare nozzle!
In summary it is fine for a small amount of desoldering at one time but is not up to hard use eg desoldering the legs of a 40pin DIL IC would test your patience due to frequent clogging and the need for dismantling!