Profile for lillypad > Reviews

Content by lillypad

lillypad "lily" (Melbourne, Australia)

Katherine Jenkins - Live at Llangollen [DVD]
Katherine Jenkins - Live at Llangollen [DVD]

2.0 out of 5 stars what a total let down, 14 Dec. 2006
This is one of those concert recordings that leaves you feeling flat. The voice in itself is good enough, but the overall feel of the event was... blah.

I guess you'd have to be physically there and seated ring in front of the stage to actually enjoy this performance. No actual enjoyment could be derived from this recorded performance and not one single wow moment could be actually had.

The first few seconds of the dvd were of the location where this was filmed and of Katherine getting ready for the performance. All well and good and cute as well but no real substance.

The opening orchestral piece had gone on too long and I couldnt play in its entirety (same with the carmen interlude in the middle of the concert... too long and too flat to keep one's attention). I was expecting a lot from Katherine, vocally, because the tracklist of this concert included most of my favorite songs of hers and I thought that she'd do a marvelous jjob of performing the live as she did on her records. But what a total let down! L'amore sei tu was breathless at best, and the whole song felt as though Katherine was singing out of tune for most of it. I am no opera buff, but with the way she's breathing through all her songs, and not being able to hold a note for more than 3 seconds, I dont think she'd be able to perform in a real opera.

This was just not a good introduction to Katherine's live performance in my opinion. She is charming when interacting with the audience, and I guess she'd need all the charm she can get if she goes on performing like this. No wonder she didnt even get a token review when she was down here in Melbourne performing in the Hamer Hall.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2011 10:55 PM BST

By Your Side
By Your Side
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars a few more years would surely enhance this wonderful voice, 1 Oct. 2005
This review is from: By Your Side (Audio CD)
I'm really loving amazon. They keep on bringing to my attention these wonderful talents. I had a friend from the uk ship me a copy of this record, and it is simply amazing. She has a very mature voice beyond her years. She delivers the emotions that the songs demand. Although her track selection for this album is pretty limited to those heartwrenching type of ballads, one is simply astounded by the depth of emotion she delivers. It gives you the notion that the producers working on this album have their priorities right: they don't sacrifice emotion for technique perfection as can be heard in Hayley Westenra's earlier albums.
So, if I was so impressed with the album, why did I take 1 star out? Well, it's because of her versions of two cover songs within. She did her version of "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban and "The Last words You Said" by Sarah Brightman. I'm also huge fans of these two artists, and in my opinion she didn't do as well. For You Raise Me Up, it was overly dramatised (I know, I'm contradicting myself here, but I think they overdid it in this song. although i really love her emotional voice!) For The Last Words... I dont care much for the way it was made a bit pop-py. And who was that accompanying her? Not a good choice...
Overall, this is a good record... I'm not sure if this is her first one. Anyway, I Highly Recommend this. It's a good listen especially after a long day, or if you just feel like having one of those emotional days and you want a good cry... :)

Harem
Harem

5.0 out of 5 stars uniquely brightman, 30 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Harem (Audio CD)
This is the first album that I have heard from Sarah Brightman. I didn't know she existed until July of 2004 when I was lucky enough to catch her Harem tour here in Australia. How could majority of the population be not aware of the talent this lady showcases?
This album is a very enjoyable mix of materials with Middle-Eastern feel. It starts off strong with the title song - Harem - and it sets off the album to a perfect start.
It also includes a few cover songs, most notably What a Wonderful World. Now, I have no idea who originally did this, but I heard a version sung by a male with a very husky voice. So I guess I'm a bit biased if I say that this is the superior version. Another cover is the song Beautiful. It is a very haunting piece that gave me the chills, and in fact it can still do.
Looking at the cover booklet, I saw that she co-wrote a few of the songs as well, including Free and the War is Over now. In my opinion, these two songs are the most powerful in the album. But then again, I might be a little biased :)
I highly recommend the purchase of this wonderful album, you wouldn't regret it. I'm loving it, and I've acquired some of her older works as I'm now a devoted fan. Although I've met a few of her older fans, those who prefer her musical pieces and they are not impressed much by Harem.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2008 4:21 PM BST