Profile for "Bilgescraper" > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU

5.0 out of 5 stars AMD Phenom II 3.4 Ghz CPU, 13 April 2013
A few years ago we changed CPU's simply because the race was on to achieve faster and faster processors, and we are all hooked on speed! However over the past couple of years the race has slowed simply because software suppliers are not keeping up with the speed of modern multi core processors. In fact when it came to selecting a CPU for my latest rebuild of my main office machine I actually selected a four core AMD to replace the six core that has served me well for the past 3 years.
This may not be the choice of serious gamers but for everyday number and graphics crunching the Phenom II's can't be beaten. They take everything you can throw at them, can be overclocked if you so desire, and have a really secure mounting system when compared to the competition. In fact, if needed, I can even retro fit my six core on the same board using the same socket - although I've never had an AMD CPU die on me!

Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive
Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus DRW-24x Sata DVD drive., 13 April 2013
Although I don't tend to burn a lot of DVD's or CD's I do need the ability in my desktop PC. So when during a recent rebuild [with a new Asus motherboard] I needed to replace a rather slow DVD ROM I decided to opt for an Asus drive to match the motherboard. As it turned out a very wise choice!

Naturally the deck will cope with a wide range of media including Audio CD, Video CD, CD-I, CD-Extra, Photo CD, CD-Text, CD-ROM/XA, Multi-session CD, BD video, DVD Video but do check the online specifications to see its full capability- [...].

This DVD deck is far faster than my old one, far smoother in operation, and offers additional software to keep your data safe by encryption. This is also a "green" energy saving accessory and Asus claim a 50% power saving over normal DVD drives.As a "gesture" to every customer Asus also offer 5GB of web storage, which is always useful.
Not cheap but a stunningly good well made buy - and it worked straight out of the box!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Uspeed USB3.0 card reader, 13 April 2013
I recently rebuilt my office PC and was forced to change my card reader. This Uspeed reader connects to a 36pin USB3.0 socket on the motherboard and offers the ability to read most commonly used cards, and provides an additional USB socket on the front of your PC, always useful.
I'd have given this component five stars but the card sockets don't seem to be over tough with rather flimsy connectors - but it does work well!

Anti Static ESD Grounding Plug, UK 1x10mm Stud
Anti Static ESD Grounding Plug, UK 1x10mm Stud
Offered by PC Valet Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Anti Staic Grounding Plug., 13 April 2013
This simple gizmo plugs into any 13amp socket and provides a method of connecting a grounding mat to earth.
Personally I'd have given it five stars if it also provided a banana plug socket in addition to the 10mm press stud connector.

Desktop Anti Static ESD Grounding Mat 500x606mm + Cord
Desktop Anti Static ESD Grounding Mat 500x606mm + Cord

5.0 out of 5 stars Desktop Anti Static Grounding Mat & 500mm cord, 13 April 2013
A grounding mat may not seem a particularly interesting purchase but working on expensive electronics without one is most unwise.
This is a great value item that just does its job - nothing more, nothing less!

The Golden Age Of Song
The Golden Age Of Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Jools Holland - The Golden Age of Song, 13 April 2013
This review is from: The Golden Age Of Song (Audio CD)
I'm not normally one to buy compilations, especially from Jules Holland, but this CD is an exception! On this album you'll find some truly famous artists performing numbers that will surprise you.
If the idea of Amy Winehouse and Paul Weller doing a duet, Paloma Faith singing a classic, or discovering that Caro Emerald is Mad About The Boys then this CD is for you. Just look it up on Amazon and see if it appeals to you - a great buy!

1m eSATA to SATA Cable up to SATA II 3.0 Gbps
1m eSATA to SATA Cable up to SATA II 3.0 Gbps

4.0 out of 5 stars 1m eSata to Sata cable, 13 April 2013
A simple little length of cable that enables you to connect a hard drive [or other device] to an eSata socket - without such a cable you are stuffed! However this particular cable does not have the little metal retaining clips - which would have earned it five stars!

Anti Static ESD Grounding Push & Clinch Workbench and Floor Mat, 10mm Stud Connectors
Offered by PC Valet Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Anti Static Grounding Mat, 13 April 2013
How much can you say about an inert green rubberised mat that simply sits on your bench? However if you work on electronics, even as a hobby, without a grounding mat you are simply testing providence - one day you will "nuke" a sensitive [and maybe expensive] electronic component!
This mat simply works [when mated to a grounding plug and wrist cord], what more can I say? Oh, good value too!

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 970, SB950, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, 2 x eS-ATA, 2 x USB 3.0, Socket AM3+)

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus M5A97 Evo 2.0 computer motherboard, 13 April 2013
When it came to rebuilding my primary office computer the choice of motherboards was simple! I merely used the latest version of the utterly reliable Asus board that has served me well for over 3 years, running 24/7. This new board offers far more connections for USB [including USB 3] and Sata devices than the one it replaces and yet would happily still accept my old six core AMD processor - but I chose to use a new four core version.
Whilst this particular Asus motherboard may not be the first choice of those seriously into gaming it can never the less provide the means to overclock the CPU, if desired. However there is plenty of pure "grunt" for serious multi-tasking including chucking complex graphics around without any "tweaking".
From long experience I have found that the combination of Asus motherboards and AMD processors is ideal for those seeking reliability in their PC's. Similarly the bomb proof mechanical method used by Asus and AMD to secure the CPU [and its cooling] to the motherboard is far superior to the rather flimsy version employed by Intel - a purely personal observation!
Although not cheap compared to the huge selection of "budget" motherboards currently on offer I am pretty sure that the new PC I have just completed will probably outlast most of the cut price ready built PC available - and most likely its owner!

Rumours
Rumours

5.0 out of 5 stars Rumours CD [2004 remaster version], 13 April 2013
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
As a music collector for over fifty years I, like countless others, had a copy of this classic Fleetwood Mac abumn on vinyl, which had virtually worn out so hearing the magical sounds again in their full glory has been an utter joy.
However the clinical and impersonal nature of a CD, however good the sound quality, can never match the pleasure of a 12" vinyl LP with its tactile feel and wondrous cover artwork.My kids think I'm potty to keep my old records!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6