Profile for Anna > Reviews

Anna

Collins Concise Spanish-English Dictionary
Collins Concise Spanish-English Dictionary

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for reading Spanish, 7 Feb. 2012
I am also starting to read Spanish, I got about half a page into my book before I decided I did need a dictionary for all my wonderful new vocabulary words.

This dictionary installs automatically in your Kindle as default Spanish dictionary. Your Kindle even know when you are reading Spanish, which I found very cleaver. It is phenomenally easy to use.

It has practically every word, including conjugations of verbs, I just have to figure out for myself what words are actually character's names! I think it is well worth the money to get this one rather than a cheaper version.

Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)
Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor writing style, mildly intriguing plot, 4 Feb. 2012
I think I bought this for 99p during the twelve days of Kindle. Even at that price it was a waste of money.

I was hooked in at first because I wanted to know who the baddy was and how they had done it and. I found out after about half way through and lost interest. I had invested a reasonable amount of time in this book so after struggling through my boredom for a few more chapters I skim-read the rest.

I grew very annoyed by the author's habit of introducing each new character (which he continues to do even 60% of the way through the story, something I consider cheating in a murder mystery) with a little paragraph explaining a bit about them. Like some kind of lonely hearts add. I also found his repeated, unimaginative odes to the loveliness of the girl baddy's breasts intensely irritating, uninteresting and unnecessary to either the story or the total lack of character development.

On refection my time would have been better spent drinking an entire bottle of red wine again like I did on Christmas Day.

The River of Lost Footsteps: A Personal History of Burma
The River of Lost Footsteps: A Personal History of Burma

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written book on a fascinating country, 4 Feb. 2012
I visited Burma in 2009 and I really wish I had read this book before I went because it would have enhanced my experience greatly.

There are about 2 typos in the whole Kindle version. It is fully navigable. The last 30% of the book is index so don't do what I did and wonder what the heck he was going to write about for another 300 pages after the military took over! I spent ages trying to figure out why the last chapter was so long.

Thant Myint U gives a fascinating overview of Myanmar's complex history as a country and some insight into its people (as much as is possible with such a diverse mix). His writing stye flows nicely and is easy to follow. He includes personal elements which I found to be the most enjoyable parts. He does not over-emphasise the importance of Aung San Su Kyi which is a change to the media view of Burma. He openly states that it is impossible to know the internal machinations of the current regime so if that's what you are looking for you'll be disappointed.

This is an enjoyable read and will give you an insight into how Myanmar got into the state it is in now.

BUILT Slim Neoprene Kindle Sleeve, Scatter Dot  [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation), Kindle (5th Generation), Kindle Touch (4th Generation) and Kindle (7th Generation)]
BUILT Slim Neoprene Kindle Sleeve, Scatter Dot [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation), Kindle (5th Generation), Kindle Touch (4th Generation) and Kindle (7th Generation)]

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle slips out, 24 Jan. 2012
The Kindle Wi-Fi 6' is slightly too small and slips out.

I have adapted mine by sewing in two poppers on the top.

Now it protects my Kindle nicely and looks pretty and red.

World Atlas 2011-2012 [900 illustrations, high-level formatting] (Shliman World series)

2.0 out of 5 stars World map not visible, no regional maps., 7 Jan. 2012
The information about each country is good. The 'World Political Map' is impossible to see on the Kindle screen and you can't zoom in. There are no regional maps at all. The maps for individual countries are clear but not especially detailed and obviously, you can't see how they border other countries. Which is annoying because I wanted it for travelling so I need at least an idea of where border crossings might be. And also to get a better idea of things like the extent of the former British Empire and the origins of the people of Burma.

So I suppose it is good for an overview of individual countries if you are not bothered about how those countries link up.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab product, 15 Dec. 2011
This is going to be a Christmas present for my sister. I filled it with old pictures of our family and it looks great!

It does have a small crack in the top right hand corner.