Profile for G Taylor > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Dead Lions: Jackson Lamb Thriller 2
Dead Lions: Jackson Lamb Thriller 2

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad this writer's name was recommended, 9 Aug. 2017
I am so glad I discovered this writer who has a sense of humour when dealing with the subject of national security. His characters are not perfect individuals, and several of them spend most of their time trying to stab each other in the back when it comes to the workplace, yet managing to balance that with loyalty when facing a common enemy, however lowly they fit into the pecking order.

Dead Lions centres around the offices staffed by failed MI5 officers, all trained killers, but usually called upon to do little more than peruse lists of parking offenders looking for a match with other data which could suggest they have submerged their identities. These failed officers have not been sacked, yet, but the system is designed to bore them into resigning from their lowly post. Teir workstations are decrepit, the software slow and out of date and the building not fit for human occupation. But just occasionally they find their latent skills are called upon and they are back at the sharp end.

I am trying to ration Mick Herron's Slough House output; meanwhile I am going to try his previous group of books.

The Lake House
The Lake House

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 9 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Lake House (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book, the authoress was recommended by a friend when I was casting around for a new name, and I am not disappointed. Just enough humour on behalf of the writer to avoid the modern liking for smug cleverness.
Set partly 70 years ago and partly in the 21st century, the characters are interesting and some of them are old enough to have figured in both preiods, The Lake House itself together with its grounds is virtually another character.
The plot revolves around a missing child and keeps moving along at a good pace.
I shall certainly be reading more of Kate Morton.

Real Tigers: Jackson Lamb Thriller 3
Real Tigers: Jackson Lamb Thriller 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Desperate to know the full story but equally desperate to save some for later., 9 Aug. 2017
Mr. Herron's material and style of writing is perfect for me. Skirting the edge of PC-ness, makes the characters real and it's obvious he has actually listened to a few conversations between people.

As I am just about to reach the end of the currently available Slough House books, I am going to follow on with his earlier books which are all new to me, I hope the author can live up to his own high standard.

Real Tigers is based on the Intelligence Services, as well as a special department for disgraced former officers who cannot be 'let go' for various reasons. It's hoped they will leave of their own accord, due to the boredom of their daily routine, but of course, they are highly trained and more familiar with lethal tricks than your average pen-pusher. Their boss is straight out of the sixties or seventies, think Gene Hunt before he went to finishing school. Hovering over everyone else are 2 women at the top of the Intelligence Department who are forever scheming against each other, and a charming and popular politician with a master's degree in deviousness; all these people adding another layer to the onion.

It's worth reading, if only to learn a few put-downs for the next time you think you are being insulted but want to leave your opposite number unsure if you could really have dared that level of insolence.

A Rising Man
A Rising Man

5.0 out of 5 stars My style of writing with humour and eloquence, 18 July 2017
This review is from: A Rising Man (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this book set in early part of 20th century in India. English official working with Indian subordinate, so unusual point of view from Indian writer. Will try the author's other book. These characters will have room to develop when they spend more time working together, promising. Enough humour to keep things fairly light hearted.

Slow Horses: Jackson Lamb Thriller 1
Slow Horses: Jackson Lamb Thriller 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Espionage with a sense of humour., 18 July 2017
Loved this style of writing. I would struggle to find even 3 paragraphs which called for a second reading, to clear up their meaning. There was plenty of authentic sounding material, enough to satisfy my liking for a good thriller, but enough witty asperity to avoid any need to take things too seriously. Slightly slow start, but necessary as this was no standard plan formula in genre. Will be disappointed when I have read through this author's complete list, as I am getting attached to Jackson Lamb.

Homitex 100L Laundry Basket Bamboo Washing Clothes Hamper Bin With Lid and Lining (Natural)
Offered by yourfuning

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy, 19 May 2017
Maybe didn't read the detail thoroughly to see it was flat pack. Donated to charity shop

Brunetti's Cookbook
Brunetti's Cookbook
by Roberta Pianaro

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely glosst book, 19 May 2017
This review is from: Brunetti's Cookbook (Hardcover)
I am buying this as a gift and bought the illustrated American version, unfortunately expecting a few illustrations of Venice or photographs of the actual meals. But the drawings of ingredients brightened up its appearance and compensates for having to use the American cup measuring system. Such a relief to find a cuisine that doesn't mask everything with chilli which I can detect at 1 part in 10,000,000 and which then for me destroys any other flavour.

Dunlop Marilyn Slip On Mules - UK Size 4 - EU 37 - US 7 Black
Dunlop Marilyn Slip On Mules - UK Size 4 - EU 37 - US 7 Black
Offered by Impressionz

5.0 out of 5 stars Glamorous,, 19 May 2017
Prompt delivery, well packaged, glamorous, I love them. I just wish there was a wider range of frivolous colours.

Kennedy Wives: Triumph and Tragedy in America's Most Public Family
Kennedy Wives: Triumph and Tragedy in America's Most Public Family
by Amber Hunt

3.0 out of 5 stars The title speaks for itself, 19 May 2017
Read the wrong book after a verbal recommendation, I had intended to read the Kennedy Women. This author clearly had a lot of material, but not perhaps the most accomplished writer; I found myself re-reading sentences and paragraphs to try and get a clearer picture of the timetable or context, but this could in part be down to the fact that I am not always au fait with current US idiom. On the whole I enjoyed it, indeed recommended it but probably have enough Kennedy information to last a fair while. The test is 'Can I remember it?' and yes I can.

Crack Down (PI Kate Brannigan, Book 3)
Crack Down (PI Kate Brannigan, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class entertainment, 19 May 2017
Exactly the right sense of humour for me. Val McDermid writes as though she has actually listened to other people's repartee and banter and she captures the northern bluntness, self deprecation and derogatory back chat that is a faithful and plausible reproduction of live conversation or discussion. The storyline carries it forward but the quality of the characters bring me back for more. This skill in writing dialogue is unfortunately far too rare, and I'm fast running out of material from my favourites, but fortunately the titles will all stand at last a second reading.
I spend more time than I'd like in hospital waiting rooms, being able to download this quality of writing onto my Kindle means I'm probably the only person in the waiting room whose response to their name being called is What| Already|

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7