Profile for Smartin > Reviews

Smartin

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
A Trick Of The Tail
A Trick Of The Tail

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic lyrics and music that will never be repeated., 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: A Trick Of The Tail (Audio CD)
This album is so good that my car stereo wouldn't eject it so I listened to it for over 2 years. The songs, the characters and the music are all top draw.

Anyone who only know the pop based Genesis are unlikely to want this, however anyone who likes 70's rock should listen to this. It isn't heavy, but the imagination is 2nd to none.

A truly great album from an exceptional band.

For Those About To Rock [We Salute You]
For Those About To Rock [We Salute You]

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple solid rock., 2 Jan. 2012
I look at the music I like and ACDC always seem too basic, but every time I hear them I just enjoy it. Crank up the volume and enjoy.

There is nothing complicated, the guitar work is catchy with some great riffs but if you are into long technical guitar solo's stay away. If however you like it straight up you then get this album.

Overall I prefer Back in Black and If you want Blood, You've Got it, but this is just a solid album worth getting.

Slippery When Wet
Slippery When Wet
Offered by A2Z Entertains

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply put, a really good album., 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Slippery When Wet (Audio CD)
Not a Bon Jovi fan by any stretch, always a bit too pretty for me but every time I listen to this album I go away thinking that was really good. There are the obvious big hits on the album but it's the other songs that make it for me.

The tempo is great and although simple songs they just work. Play this loud and don't expect anything complicated and enjoy the ride.

Still Got The Blues
Still Got The Blues

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Rock Blues, 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Still Got The Blues (Audio CD)
This album ticks so many boxes. I like the blues played with a bit of grunt and that's exactly what this album does. Not strictly a blues album but Gary Moore clearly knows the blues and plays it so.

He plays with some of the greats and knows his way around a guitar, if you like the blues played loud and hard then buy this album,

Blaze Of Glory
Blaze Of Glory
Offered by 247dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars A good film based album., 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Blaze Of Glory (Audio CD)
I know this is badged as a Jon Bon Jovi album but it is clear that although tied in to the Young Guns film it has so many ways still sounds like a Bon Jovi album.

Good songs throughout which compliment the film and a few very good songs makes this album a good buy.

Animals [Discovery Edition]
Animals [Discovery Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars Unrewarded great, 2 Jan. 2012
Musically this album is excellent from all members of the Floyd but I feel that the lyrics overall were not up to the standard I had become used to. The subject matter was interesting but for me it didn't work.

To get the most from this album you need it in the car for a week to really get in to it. Well worth a listen but it wouldn't be my first choice if you wanted to get in to Pink Floyd.

Cosmic Egg
Cosmic Egg
Offered by Great Price Media EU

4.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up album., 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Cosmic Egg (Audio CD)
3 years was a long time to wait for a second album but it was worth it. Personally I prefer the 1st album but this is still a very good album. While early 70's rock is still the major influence there are bits of Maiden in there too.

A really good album that will leave you will a bit of deja vu, but that is no bad thing.

Bring on the 3rd album.

Wolfmother
Wolfmother
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Great retro rock, 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Wolfmother (Audio CD)
Now let's be straight, these are modern songs playing to a 70's rock beat. With each song you'll be remembering which band you 1st heard do it, but don't think it doesn't work because it does.

There's some good guitar work and the songs are catchy and well put together. I can happily mix any of these songs with my Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Zeppelin etc and each one stands up to the mark.

I've bought and enjoyed their 2nd album and eagerly await the 3rd.

Queen [2011 Remaster Deluxe 2CD Edition]
Queen [2011 Remaster Deluxe 2CD Edition]
Offered by A2Z Entertains

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, 2 Jan. 2012
I have not heard the deluxe cd so my review is purely about the songs on the 1st disc. I admit I prefer the early Queen albums as they are more heavy rock and this is a very strong debut.

Each song has an attitude and a rawness that is great. Some of the songwriting is not great, but that is not unusual. What is evident is that the band were prepared to step outside the box and I suppose you can say the rest is history.

A great addition to anyone who likes 70's rock.

Argus
Argus

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic album that doesn't need the extra tracks., 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Argus (Audio CD)
This review is only based on the 1st 7 tracks, in line with the original album, nothing against the final 3 songs but they should stay on the albums they were designed for.

I grew up with this album as it was my dad's favourite. The guitar work is excellent, the build up and double lead guitar really drags you in. The songs are more like stories and if you were going to be critical it would be that the singing has never been strong on any Wishbone Ash album.

I struggle with the Status Quo reference, if that is the case I must get some Quo because this album is exceptional.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2012 10:07 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7