Profile for Smartin > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Songlines
Songlines

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Songlines (Audio CD)
This is the 1st Derek Trucks Band album I have bought so didn't know what to expect. Firstly there is no doubt he can play guitar and play it well.

I would liken his style to Joe Satriani, or even Santana. There were elements that were slightly more rock based which is my preferred style of blues but overall it was not my cup of tea.

Technically he was very good and it may be an album I will grow into, but on first listening I am unlikely to sample any more of his albums.

However, if you prefer your blues a little lighter then give it a go.

The Wolverine Files
The Wolverine Files
by Mike W. Barr

5.0 out of 5 stars A big YES if you are a fan of Wolverine, 27 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Wolverine Files (Hardcover)
This was a gift for my wife and it was a big hit. In fact the whole family have been pinching it. The quality is excellent and it was really good to see all the different ways Wolverine has been portrayed.

We loved the way it was put together, just as if it was a military file on Wolverine (Although I suspect there wouldn't be as many pictures in an official file).

While overall I felt it was more aimed at adults my daughter who is 13 thoroughly enjoyed it but I feel any younger than 11 may not get as much from it.

Excellent book.

Peter Gabriel 3
Peter Gabriel 3

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Peter Gabriel 3 (Audio CD)
After Peter Gabriel left Genesis I felt his 1st 2 albums showed that he needed the group because there were filler songs on each. On this album there are no fillers.

Starting off with the menacing "Intruder" and the energy of "No self control" and "I don't remember" then the epic "Family Snapshot" this song alone is a must in every music collection, the story telling and build up are nothing short of awesome, then the ending is a real tearjerker.

Energy again with "And through the wire" then the thought provoking "Games without frontiers" it sounds like kids stuff but such clever lyrics. The pace changes twice my before "Biko", again such a thought provoking song.

This album has everything. I like Peter Gabriel but I don't think he did anything better than this.

Live
Live
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone but I love it., 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
I grew up with Genesis as they were my dads favourite band, so from when I was born (1971) to around 1980 one of the main bands I listened to were Genesis.

As such I became familiar with them, and always enjoyed their clever lyrics and the change in tempo and structure within the songs, it was like reading a book, you just never knew what was going to happen next.

I remember buying my dad this on tape for hid birthday and making him open it first to put it on. The stories were great, the music epic. My favourites 'The return of the Giant Hogweed' and 'The knife' still to this day never only get played once, and now I own them on CD I regularly listen to those songs then listen again, and again.

This music is not for everyone, however if you enjoy the sounds of the earlier Genesis then get this and you will not be disappointed. If you fancy trying out early Genesis then get this as it shows the heights of music craftmanship this band reached.

Rattle And Hum
Rattle And Hum

4.0 out of 5 stars Way better than I thought., 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Rattle And Hum (Audio CD)
When this album came out, U2 were being rammed down your throat so as a result I just refused to listen to them. We were on the back of the massive album 'The Joshua Tree' and 2 of the main singles from that album 'Where the streets have no name" and 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for' did nothing for me.

However being a regular listener to Virgin Radio I happened to hear 'Angel of Harlem' and later 'When love comes to town' with BB King and thought they were tremendous. As a result I bought the CD with the view that it had better be good or I'll never buy another U2 CD again.

Initially I thought it was ok, but as I listened more I got into the energy of the album. I loved the anger in 'Helter Skelter', 'Pride' is just awesome with so much passion in it. The fore mentioned songs were excellent and songs like 'All along the watchtower' and 'Hawkmoon 269' gave the album real depth.

I am not a U2 fan but this album is 1 I go back to time after time and am never dissappointed. Pushing 5 stars.

You've Come A Long Way, Baby
You've Come A Long Way, Baby
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't float my boat., 14 Jan. 2012
I remember seeing a music video with Christopher Walken in it and I thought it was impressive and the music pretty catchy so thought I would give it a try.

In all honesty it was a move away from my usual taste in music, but I listened to it with an open mind.

My biggest grumble with most of the songs were that they were good but they went on just too long, so I found myself listening for each song for about 3-4 minutes then getting bored and skipping to the next track. Also whilst not offended by foul language I felt the swearing on this album totally unnecessary and not fitting with the songs.

If you were into the dj scene of the nineties you'll love it, but for me it is a case of "will you finish the song?!".

Rory Gallagher
Rory Gallagher
Offered by marxwax

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting in to Rory Gallagher, 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Rory Gallagher (Audio CD)
I have only recently started listening to Rory Gallagher and I am really impressed. His guitar work is excellent and his voice compliments each song.

Having only owned the album for a few weeks I'm still growing into it. "I'm not Surprised" is the real standout song at the moment for me but closely followed by a host of others including "It's you" and "For the last time".

There is a good variety in the styles of the Blues that Rory plays,so is likely to be something for everyone, and all to a high standard.

I don't give 5 star's easily but this really is 4 and a half star's, and after only a few listens, that is high praise indeed.

I will definitely be adding more Rory Gallagher to my collection.

Tattoo
Tattoo
Offered by redrockrecordspoole

4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly pushing 5 star's, 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Tattoo (Audio CD)
I have only recently come across Rory Gallagher so must confess not to know as much about him as other reviewers, however having listened to the album 3 or 4 times I have been extremely impressed.

I am a big fan of guitar based music, especially when its foundations are clearly in the blues, and Rory really knows how to play. I can't point out stand out songs because the whole standard is so high. I'm not as keen on Tuscon, Arizona but that is more to style of song as opposed to quality of the playing.

If you too like blues based, quality guitar play then I would strongly recommend this album. I have already bought another of his albums and also an album by Taste who he used to play with and I will be adding more to my collection.

In truth 4 and a half stars but I think with more plays will end up a 5.

Pump
Pump

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid rock album., 9 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Pump (Audio CD)
I first heard Aerosmith when Permanent Vacation was released, being around 16 years old I was still finding my way into music I really liked. Therefore while I can't confess to being a fan, I have of late been buying Aerosmiths' other albums.

Like most Aerosmith albums it is all about the energy, and this starts off with bucket loads, with the opening song having a great tempo and decent guitar work.

The next few songs are solid but didn't really blow me away, then we get to Shela which I really liked and that theme continued to the end of the album, with a different variation of song showing with Gypsy Boots and Darkness, the latter possibly being my favourite of the album.

You get a feel with this album that you can see where Permanent Vacation and Pump came from, and after only 2 hearings of this album is is a solid 4 star, possibly with more listening to that could change for a stronger rating.

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason [Discovery Edition]
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason [Discovery Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album, but is it Pink Floyd?, 3 Jan. 2012
I remember rushing out to buy this album, I'd be 16 and had gotten into Pink Floyd in a big way. There are a lot who don't feel this is a Pink Floyd album but for me it is.

There is classic guitar work from Dave Gilmour and both Nick Mason and Richard Wright perform on the album and the following tour of which I was lucky enough to see twice.

Some of the songs feel like they are trying too hard to be Pink Floyd, however 'On the turning away' is a great song worthy of any Floyd album. If I need to get away from the world this is still the album I turn to, very relaxing and you seem to drift with it.

Well worth a listen.