Profile for Joker161 > Reviews

Joker161

The Foul Bowel: 101 Ways to Survive and Thrive With Crohn's Disease
The Foul Bowel: 101 Ways to Survive and Thrive With Crohn's Disease

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and a little scary!, 7 Dec. 2012
Like the other reviewers, I thought this was an excellent book. As a Crohn 's sufferer for over five years I recognised much of what John described, although I was lucky that I wasn't suffering in the bad old days. As someone else said, it was a little scary finding out about all the things that haven't happened to me yet, but on balance, a really good read. Thank you!

Saturday
Saturday
by Ian McEwan

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but not a classic, 13 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Saturday (Paperback)
Given the even distribution of the numerous reviews, clearly you love him or hate him. I sense that I am not as well read as most of the reviewers, so my comments might interest the casual reader.

I quite enjoyed the book, and, unlike many reviewers, the long descriptive elements didn't annoy me. In particular, I liked the discussion about the massive gulf between Henry and his father-in-law; poet .v. brain surgeon! I thought the discssions about the Iraq War were good, especially his thoughts about whether he was for or against. I try, now, to think back to 2003 and I remember, too, finding it hard to weigh up the massive pros and cons of invasion. I thought he summed that up quite well.

Anyway, don't be put off by the numerous negative reviews. I read one review that said it was bored by, for example, a description of brain surgery, and if one wants to know about that, one would buy a non-fiction book. Well, I thought it was quite interesting finding out a little about the profession. Would I ever read a factual book about it? Of course not. The ending is a bit odd, but why should that mean the book it instantly bad? If this is a "1 star" book, where does all the 'chick-lit' rubbish sit on the scale? "-2 stars"?