Profile for Gulliver > Reviews

Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Offered by Online Pet Doors

3.0 out of 5 stars Faulty product, terrible customer service, 22 Jan. 2015
Update to my below review -

After Sureflap contacted me (see below) I was in touch with someone at the company and they replaced the product extremely swiftly and apologised for the inconvenience. The replacement arrived within a couple of days and so far so good. It's been over a week and the batteries are still fine, so let's hope it stays that way.

I really want to love this product but I've become increasingly disappointed.
I bought a white Sureflap three months ago and I'm afraid to say that after a month or so of being extremely happy with it, I now wish I hadn't.
It was very easy to install, is nice and sturdy. But almost immediately problems started with battery life. The first set last two weeks, the next set lasted three, the next just two weeks and the last set I put in just 24 hours. I used Duracell or Energizer every time as recommended. We tried resetting it, cleaning the sensors every day, but nothing helped extend the battery life - the red light just kept flashing. I grew worried the cats would be locked outside in the middle of winter when we were away for a weekend so disabled the sensor and it now operates like a completely standard (far cheaper) cat flap.

I emailed Sureflap straight away and received a prompt reply requesting serial number and further details, all of which I supplied immediately. That was nearly three weeks ago and I've heard nothing since despite sending two further emails.

I couldn't be more disappointed with both the product, but especially the customer service. My house is now free for all the neighbourhood cats to visit whenever they like and I have a cat flap I can't replace without changing my whole backdoor!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 9:57 PM GMT

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 4 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
I have had this book on my shelf for nearly five years and was always put off reading it due its size and weight (hardly the easiest thing to lug around on the daily commute).
Finally I made the effort to read it, and for me, it was a book of two halves (first half I loved, and the other half I found disappointing).
Overall, this is a great adventure-packed story. It's easy to read and a good book to immerse yourself in on holiday. But don't expect a literary masterpiece (as the cover claims), as it certainly is not.
I found the first half especially gripping, in fact I could hardly put the book down. From page 600 onwards, however, I found myself becoming really quite bored and frustrated with the poor quality of writing and by how much the story was being dragged out. As I progressed through the book, the poor writing and fluffy nonsense-philosophy resulted in many an eye rolling moment, or I'd find myself cringing at the pure cheesiness of it. Had it been 300 pages shorter, I don't think this would have been the case.
The disappointment for me came from the fact that Shantaram really got me hooked to begin with, but the last 200 pages I was genuinely willing it to end!
Still, I'm glad I've finally read it, and would recommend it to others provided they're not expecting prize winning literature (as some of the reviews on the inside cover make out)!
Also, note to the publisher - consider publishing Kindle version, would make it a lot more portable!