Profile for Lizzy > Reviews

Content by Lizzy

Lizzy "isa484"

Page: 1 | 2
Alone in the Dark (The Cincinnati Series Book 2)
Alone in the Dark (The Cincinnati Series Book 2)
by Karen Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Lust and dogs, 13 Dec. 2015
This review has some spoilers, but nothing major.

This was a miss for me.

It was really long -- which is a plus point, because it was very predictable and nicely readable. It was like putting on some comfy pyjamas, reading this book for a bit. I enjoyed it I guess, but there were some bits that really made me want to tear my hair out:

- Dogs. I guess the author likes dogs. All the characters have dogs. We are treated to long descriptions of these dogs, where they came from, their behaviour, blah de blah. In a long book, this would be more forgivable if the same attention were given to the characters
- The sex mad characters. Ok. So we have two damaged loners, who find each other. Great -- that's interesting. Most people have been hurt or damaged in some way and can relate to the difficulties of connecting with someone again. Ahhhh, but we're not going to go into that -- the two main characters are so overcome by lust that they really don't care about anything but more sex. Oh, except for two scenes when sex has to be delayed to walk the dogs (yup).
- The sex mad characters. Did I mention this already? One character is sort of freelance, but the other is a cop, who spends an awful lot of time having sex on the job. Both are willing to chuck in their careers for more sex (this is stated several times). I find it difficult to believe that anyone would risk/sacrifice so much JUST for sex. For love, yah, but I don't think even the author suggests that we're talking about love.
- The detectives don't do much detecting. They just sort of bumble around, having sex and talking about ovens, while the rest of the characters solve the crimes.

Thing is, I've just written a long ole review about this book. The above stuff exasperated me and made me laugh. I read a lot of books, but I'll remember this one in particular because it was so so silly in parts.

To the author I'd suggest: more crime and police work, less sex, and remember that we're not all dog lovers. But yeah, I'll buy your next book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2016 6:29 PM BST

Closer Than You Think (The Cincinnati Series Book 1)
Closer Than You Think (The Cincinnati Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 27 May 2015
A great page turner that goes on and on.

This book really surprised me as usually incidental romances and sex scenes in thrillers irritate me, but here they were really well written and quite sexy.

The storyline is fantastic. It doesn't rely on the characters being dimwitted - they're pretty sharp and don't uncessarily lie to each other to further the plot (big bugbear of mine).

I Do Not Sleep
I Do Not Sleep

4.0 out of 5 stars Writing isn't great, but this book helped me, 27 May 2015
This review is from: I Do Not Sleep (Kindle Edition)
I skipped over this book several times before buying it on my kindle. I bought it as a sort of personal test to myself. My sister, an accomplished sailor, went missing on a yacht many years ago. Her body was found some time later, but my mother went went pretty crazy searching for answers (and someone to blame) in the years that followed. I must have heard the "I am not there, I do not sleep" poem a hundred times. I won't go into details on what we eventually pieced together, as I don't want to be identified.

This book does a good job of portraying how a mother can become pretty unhinged in a search for answers, and become convinced that some sort of closure is just within reach. My family's reaction was different, but still obsessive and at times misguided. I'm glad I read it -- it helped me see some of my own behaviour as a bit self indulgent. I didn't turn a magic corner, but I think this book helped me.

I CAN'T give it 5 stars though. I didn't relate to the Cornwall stuff at all (I've never been there, and the descriptions didn't paint a picture in my head). The actual plot resolution was completely unbelievable, and really obvious. The main chararacter is simultaneously hell bent on finding the truth and an incredible procrastinator. This could have been written in a way that reflected her state of mind being a bit wonky, but if it's meant to be, it's not quite there.

So 4 stars - thanks for a work of fiction that really did help me in a real way, but sorry: it's one of the weaker works of fiction I've read recently.

The Creative Therapy Colouring Book (Creative Colouring for Grown-ups)
The Creative Therapy Colouring Book (Creative Colouring for Grown-ups)
by Hannah Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 27 May 2015
After hearing a few peopel rave about these, I bought this book.

What you get is a hardback book of very very detailed line drawings, on thick paper (so you can use any method of colouring). You colour it in whatever colours you want.

The product itself is of high quality and I have no issue with it. The problem for me is the concept -- I chose what I thought were good colours, and it looked absolutely rubbish. I didn't find the colouring relaxing at all, partly because I knew that it wasn't going to turn out looking good. Unlike other reviewers, I prefer this sort of thing to be regimented -- so the colours are pre selected to make a good result. Like knitting, where you follow a pattern.

I've heard great things from other sufferers of stress, anxiety, depression, and similar. So I'd say buy it, try it, but don't despair if you don't like it. I'm just posting this review to say "not everyone does".

Dimensions Paintworks Paint by Numbers Peony Floral Kit
Dimensions Paintworks Paint by Numbers Peony Floral Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy more brushes, 27 May 2015
The painting "design" is great -- lots and lots of different colours to mix to give a really interesting looking painting that takes ages to do. Comes with minimal instructions: a table showing what colours to mix together, and very helpfully a paper copy of the original painting showing the numbers (so if something needs going over twice, you can refer to it to get the number).

I'd give it 5 stars, but:
- Only 1 brush is provided. It's tiny enough to do the detail, but it's a real slog doing the large areas of background. I'm going to order some different sized brushes to make it more fun
- The provided brush was ok to start with but had splayed sticking-out bristles after only a few uses. Solved by pulling them out, making the brush even thinner.
- Some of the paints are really lumpy, and mixing in the pot doesn't fix this.

None of these are showstoppers and I'm really enjoying it, so still 4 stars from me.

Osram 18 Watt Compact Fluorescent Light Dulux T/E Plus Lamp
Osram 18 Watt Compact Fluorescent Light Dulux T/E Plus Lamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 27 May 2015
Product is as described. It has a small delay between being switched on and being on (half a second) but takes very little time to warm up to full brightness. On my fitting, there's 10cm of exposed bulb and fitting once the bulb is in place, so it fits inside a normal lampshade.

It was well packed and promptly delivered (the cheaper shipping option is first class, so in my case next day delivery).

This is a truly irritating light fitting, and the bulbs don't seem to be widely available. So it was a big relief to find them on here at a reasonable price.

Cast and Dressing Protectors - Half Leg
Cast and Dressing Protectors - Half Leg

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfectly, but very big, 9 Mar. 2015
Definitely does the job! I made one attempt with a bin liner and absolutely soaked my cast. Thankfully it was just a temporary cast.

I use it to shower and it has kept my cast completely dry so far. Big relief -- getting in and out of the shower is a bit tricky so it's great to be to not worry about hanging my leg over the side or messing with bin bags. The plastic is quite thick and seems durable, but is easy to move around in and hasn't made getting in and out any harder.

Unfortunately I didn't spot the size options, so bought a size that is a bit too big for me (halfway up my thigh to get a good seal). No big deal and I still love the product.

Edited this review from 4 stars to 5 stars since it's my fault I didn't see the sizing options!

KitSound Ovation 2016 Soundbar Speaker System with Wireless Bluetooth for Smartphones/Tablets/MP3 Devices - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Some problems - but a great piece of kit, 18 Oct. 2014
Some problems - but a great piece of kit.

I got my Kitsound Ovation yesterday. It comes in a lovely box that straight away makes you think "oooh, I've bought something really nice". The unit itself has a nice shiny black finish and looks good.

I got it connected to my Panasonic Viera TV with the optical cable (provided) with no real problems. I did struggle for a bit before finding out that the platic bits on the end of the optical cable are protective caps! Silly me.

I have a PS3 and a Blu-ray player connected to my TV via HDMI -- the sound is correctly output to the sound bar with no trouble.

The sound is much better than the built in TV speakers. It is especially good if you turn it up -- but since I live in a terrace, I have kept it quiet. Even quiet, it is a much richer sound than the TV speakers, and you can hear a bit of bass.

The sound bar shows a light when you turn it on and off or switch inputs, but it goes off after a few seconds, so you don't have a distracting light disturbing you.

Overall I think it was a great purchase and I'm happy with it. I'd recommend it to a friend, no qualms. I have had some problems, but they're not specific to this sound bar:

- I don't have anywhere to put it except for in front of the TV, and unfortunately it is tall enough to block the IR receiver. By moving the TV back and the sound bar forward, I've made enough space to be able to use the TV remote if I hold it in the air and angle it downwards. I may think about wall mounting it.
- Yet another remote. I'd love it if the volume could be controlled from the TV.
- HDMI ARC plain doesn't work for me. Googling suggests a lot of people have trouble with ARC, especially with Panasonic TVs. It sounds like some configuration needs to be done on the TV side, and there just aren't any options to set this up. Recommend caution if you plan to use ARC.
- When trying to watch 'The X Factor' tonight, I couldn't get any sound out of the sound bar at all. Whenever I switched to the x factor, the sound bar made a distorted click/bleep sound, and no sound came out. Other channels were perfectly fine. I pulled the optical cable and could see red light shine through the fibre, so the TV seems to be outputting. No ideas at all what caused this.

Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000 - UK Layout
Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000 - UK Layout
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped my RSI no end., 2 Aug. 2014
I got one of these at work -- and decided to buy one for home too. I was developing moderate RSI using a normal keyboard, and this has completely cured it. The keys are a little less "clicky" than I'd like, but 5/5 for the pain free typing.

Collapsible Pasta Drying Stand
Collapsible Pasta Drying Stand
Offered by dealux

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product -- very simple!, 2 Aug. 2014
Great product -- very simple!

My first impressions were that it was a very simple and elegant design, and that it is nice and small when compacted.

I did initially think that it was going to be too small to hold the amount of pasta I usually make. However, its appearance and dimensions are deceptive -- you can hang a lot of pasta on this little thing!

I've just used it for the first time, and it was a great experience (this is my first pasta drier, having been making pasta on a semi regular basis for a few years). I can't believe I managed for this long without it.

After I'd hung my pasta, I realised I hadn't floured the top of the rods. Thankfully, the pasta didn't stick at all - I think the grooved design of the rods probably has something to do with this. It's little details like that, and the fact that it is sturdy and folds up really well, that make this a 5/5 product for me.

Page: 1 | 2