Profile for Mr S > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Sealey ASL23 Step Stool 3-Tread 150kg Capacity EN 14183
Sealey ASL23 Step Stool 3-Tread 150kg Capacity EN 14183

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy & Secure, 25 Sept. 2013
Well made and sturdy, which is important if you happen to be heavier than average like me.

I recognised the Sealey brand which gave me the confidence to choose this model. Glad I did, the extra height of third step useful.

Worth the premium over less expensive examples

Quick delivery was a bonus

Spirit & The Blues
Spirit & The Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars SACD Sound Quality, 5 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Spirit & The Blues (Audio CD)
I bought the original CD of this recording back in 1995, not too long after its release. I used it as a bench mark when shopping for HI FI speakers due its well recorded sound quality.

The music has been reviewed often enough in the past and I think anyone looking at the SACD edition is more interested in the sound quality.

That was the important question for me. Was the SACD sound worth the effort over the CD. In brief, Yes! the level on red book CD issue from the 1994 is a tad polite. I've been disappointed with SACDs in the past however this SACD version sounds noticeably richer and fuller, with improved dynamics, deeper bass and lots of "air around the voices and instruments.

After listening to the SACD once I played the CD version and it sounded flat an lifeless. Amazing considering how good the I thought the CD sounded beforehand.

I love this album and the SACD is even more lifelike and enjoyable as a result. If you have an SACD player you'd be mad not too.

Kent Car Care GKEQ6100 Extra Large Microfibre Drying Towel
Kent Car Care GKEQ6100 Extra Large Microfibre Drying Towel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value For Money, 15 Aug. 2012
Microfibre drying towels are much superior to old chamois leathers etc. This Kent item is very absorbent, large and dries a large car no problem.

Mine was about a third of cost of the Meguiars towels I normally use. I prefer the latter, but you can't do better at this price.

The only downside is that they are dyed bright yellow which bleeds badly when you put them in the washing machine.

Albert King And Stevie Ray Vaughan: In Session [DVD] [2010]
Albert King And Stevie Ray Vaughan: In Session [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Albert King

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential String bending!, 6 July 2012
If you are interested in electric blues guitar then this is a must, and not just because it features SRV but because SRV is with one of his idols, the late great Albert King.

As much as I love Stevie Ray, It's the tone and style of Albert King that mesmerises me. Once you have heard Alberts' distintive tone, you can then recognise his style and licks echoed through not just SRVs playing(He amps up Alberts style brilliantly on "Matchbox") but in the pantheon of Rock and Blues guitar players that followed. Everyone from Hendrix, Clapton et al soaked up kings influence and its not hard to understand why.

Albert King may not have reached the commercial heights that SRV did (posthumously), but that can't detract from his enormous contribution to the style of the electric blues guitar. I'm not talking "diddly diddly diddly plank spanking" here, but bending strings, making the guitar cry and sing.

Its a rare pleasure to be able to watch either of these two guitar greats play, so to see them play together and enjoy themselves so much in the process is a treat.

Crumpler Le Royale Leather 17W" Gimp Laptop Sleeve - Black/Grey
Crumpler Le Royale Leather 17W" Gimp Laptop Sleeve - Black/Grey
Offered by brand-central

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Crumpler- The Le Royale (Luggage)
Nice leather Lap top sleeve. Seems well made and good quality, only good value if you get a good discount off full Recommended Retail Price!.

Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel
Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel
Offered by Buy Right

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Needs a Chamois?, 6 July 2012
Only thing better than one of these is two of these. Easy to use, works really well. Easy to launder. Great

Wüsthof CLASSIC Steak knife set - 9731
Wüsthof CLASSIC Steak knife set - 9731
Offered by BOSTO-Design

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Knives, 5 July 2012
Does anyone need knives as good as this to eat a steak?. No, but these are scalpel sharp, beautifully made luxury and a joy to use. I love them and I'm glad I bought them.

Senna [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Senna [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ayrton Senna

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing over hyped Documentary, 5 July 2012
Firstly, I was hoping to enjoy remastered upscaled Bluray HD picture quality but a lot of this is old footage and BD is a waste of time, so stick with DVD.

I watched the full extended version and learned nothing that hadn't been covered by BBC documentaries over the years. There was very little detail of his early career in F1. his heroic win, beating all the F1 champions in an identical car race(Merc 190 Cosworths) was barely mentioned. A predictably sour grapes Prost who alledged Senna had cheated by jumping the start was all that was offered.

Sennas performance in each season is glossed over for example "seven consecutive wins later blah blah". Predictably the two crashes with Prost were picked over, but no analysis of his talent or performance against other iconic drivers such as Jim Clark or Fangio et al.

All in all I found this very disappointing and ultimately frustrating. If you need a 2 hr 45min video to tell you Senna was very popular in Brazil then this is the film for you.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2014 7:45 AM GMT

Wagner: The Ring - An Orchestral Adventure [Hybrid SACD]
Wagner: The Ring - An Orchestral Adventure [Hybrid SACD]

4.0 out of 5 stars SACD Musical Highlights, 6 Oct. 2011
I'm a music fan but not a Classical music buff and unfamiliar with wagners work, but when I heard the overture "Vorspiel das Rheingold" I was instantly attracted to the piece.

Not being sure I could get on with the full operas, this disc had the answer. Highlights of the instrumental pieces of the opera on one disc. Super Audio Compact Disc sealed the deal. The best high resolution DSD sound quality to show off the HI FI. I would not presume to review Wagners work, but for someone wanting to dip their toes in the (Wagner)water, this is disc a great disc to start.

Solwise 3-Port 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Adapter
Solwise 3-Port 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Expanding homeplug network, 6 Oct. 2011
I had used a pair of Solwise homeplug adapters to give a wired ethernet broadband connection to a different room to my broadband router. These have worked faultlessly. True plug and play.

My needs expanded to require 3 separate ethernet wired connections and another Solwise adapter was the obvious choice so I checked the spec for compatibilty to my existing plugs and bought this unit. It was cheaper than 3 single adapters and takes up far less space. It works just as well. Neat solution, whats not to like.

Page: 1 | 2