Profile for Mig > Reviews

Mig (UK)

Total Brutal
Total Brutal

5.0 out of 5 stars GET TO THE CHOPPA, 28 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Total Brutal (Audio CD)
This album is basically a brutal thrash metal spoof tribute to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Yes, such a thing exists.

The music tracks are interspersed with short, humourous interludes involving scenarios such as vocalist Arnie ("Ahhhnold") trying to hold a band practice session while the other band members tune their guitars and generally annoy him.

However, don't be put off by the fact it's all tongue-in-cheek; the music itself is pretty awesome top-quality metal. In fact, I imagine some pretty amazing things would occur if Austrian Death Machine recruited some permanent band members and applied serious lyrics to the songs (all instruments are currently played by Tim Lambesis of As I Lay Dying, except for the sick guitar solos that are contributed by a variety of guest guitarists).

When my boss is being a d-bag at work I put on my headphones and crank up 'Get To The Choppa'. Check out the video on YouTube (also awesome) and if it's your kind of thing you'll probably appreciate this album.

White Line Fever: Lemmy - The Autobiography
White Line Fever: Lemmy - The Autobiography
by Lemmy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not particularly memorable, 15 Sept. 2010
I have read quite a few biographies of rock stars and bands, and although it was in no way a boring read, I feel I was left unable to really recall any particularly outrageous or funny anecdotes from the book.

It starts out quite interesting with Lemmy's early days in Hawkwind and the formation of Motorhead, but the latter half of the book is a fairly standard trip through varying band line-ups, record labels and management changes. By the end, it seems to be merely a string of hurried entries detailing the technicalities of each successive album he made as of late. In fact, he even dismisses one of his later tours as 'uneventful' and moves on after this one sentence on the matter.

Lemmy comes across as a pretty decent guy - honest, opinionated and unforgiving - but at the end of the day, he perhaps simply hasn't lived as crazy a life as some other stars who have had their biographies printed. I think this is, in part, down to the fact that Motorhead have not reached the same heights of success.

Unless you are a big Motorhead fan, I don't think you're missing much by not reading this. Instead, I would highly recommend to anyone Slash, Scar Tissue (Anthony Kiedis), I am Ozzy (Ozzy Osbourne) or a book called Star Man (mainly about Bon Jovi) - all of which contain masses of sex, drugs and rock star craziness.

JJC FC-26b Flash Diffuser for Canon Speedlite 430EX, 430EX II - White
JJC FC-26b Flash Diffuser for Canon Speedlite 430EX, 430EX II - White

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Fit, 15 Jun. 2010
I bought this for my Canon Speedlite 430EX II but it doesn't seem to fit. It's not as cheap and flexible as I was expecting it to be (based on the 'plastic milk bottle' guy's review here). It is in fact made of rather solid, well-formed plastic, and it just seems to be moulded too small. I can't for the life of me get it to fit over flash. I am afraid I will break the flash if I try to force it any harder.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2010 12:21 PM BST

Guitar Hero: Metallica - Game Only (Wii)
Guitar Hero: Metallica - Game Only (Wii)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Guitar Hero Yet, 7 Aug. 2009
This is, in my opinion, the best Guitar Hero game in the franchise. If you are considering buying the game only (without guitar controller), I assume that you are a GH veteran, and own a guitar already. For this reason, you will probably enjoy the game because:

1. The songs are challenging.
2. There are loads of solos (i.e. fun parts).

If you like Metallica or metal in general, the game offers the best soundtrack of any GH game by far. Guitar Hero is made infinitely more fun when you're playing songs that aren't boring or annoying to you, and it is this combination of great Guitar Hero gameplay mixed with a great soundtrack that puts it at the top of the pile.

There are loads of cool extras for the dedicated Metallica fan, such as interesting facts and trivia about each song, and if you have ever seen Metallica live, you will notice how realistically the band behaves on stage in the game. The band did extensive motion capture, so the game characters play each song as the real band would.

TO SUMMARISE:

If you are a half-decent GH player already and/or like Metallica and metal in general, you will probably love this game.

If you don't like heavy music/metal, I would recommend buying Guitar Hero 3 or Guitar Hero: World Tour instead.

A Matter of Life and Death
A Matter of Life and Death

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly standard-quality Maiden, 17 Jun. 2008
Reading the other reviews here, I feel this album is perhaps too highly-rated. It's not bad, by any means, but to be honest there just aren't enough memorable songs and it just sounds like another typical Iron Maiden album.

For example, I think about 6 out of the 10 tracks all have the same old Iron Maiden format - quiet or clean intro, followed by generic-sounding heavy song, ending with the same quiet intro. It's nothing new.

Now I know they generally stick to their tried and tested formula, and there's nothing wrong with that. Other bands have certainly done the same, with much success (e.g. AC/DC), but I just feel that in this case it is rather boring and predictable.

In my opinion, this is not one of their top albums, and those who are saying it tops Seventh Son, etc. are deluded. Dance of Death was a fantastic album, and I would recommend that to anyone over this. It had far more memorable tracks, it was more creative, more thoughtful, and just felt like more work had been put into it. It just rocked harder, and had some blinding solos - something that I felt this album was distinctly lacking in.

The only stand-out track for me on this one is The Reincarnation of Benjamin Brigg, which has a fantastic hard-rocking riff, but apart from that, this is nothing special I'm afraid.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2010 10:14 PM BST

Holy Diver
Holy Diver

5.0 out of 5 stars An Instant Favourite, 23 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Holy Diver (Audio CD)
I had heard a couple of Dio songs, and was particularly attracted to the top quality guitar playing (usually the basis for deciding which albums I buy). However, after the first track on the album, it was clearly apparent that I hadn't heard their best work, as the star of the show is quite obviously Ronnie James Dio.

Who'd have thought that little old bloke would have such a pair of lungs on him? Easily one of the greatest front men in history; an excellent metal singer, up there with my other favourites such as Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson.

The album rocks hard, in classic, clichéd style (go and watch the video for Holy Diver on YouTube), but what I particularly liked was the elements of immense atmosphere and, at times, the feeling that the songs really had some emotional background to them. Really immersive, and has earned a well respected place in the top end of my collection.