Profile for Nigel Jones > Reviews

Content by Nigel Jones

Nigel Jones (Southampton, UK)

Anker PowerLine Lightning Premium Cable (3ft) Apple MFi Certified - Ultra-High Lifespan Lightning Cable [Kevlar Fiber Reinforced] Perfect for the New iPhone 6s / Plus, iPad Pro / mini 4 / Air, iPod touch and more Apple Devices (White)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality. sturdy. perfect compatability., 28 Sept. 2015
Having received a new (and my first) iPhone 6s plus on friday I knew I'd needed some more cables. I'd previously been delighted by their microUSB cables since they were the only ones that reliably charged my Samsung S4 at the full 2A.

For lightning would I try an official apple cable, an unknown/ebay cable, or go for a brand I trusted. Easy. The anker powerline. It appears to charge QUICKLY off my Anker 5x2A desktop charger, my Samsung 2A charger, and worked perfectly in my car (BMW, with connected drive/app integration). The same could not be said for a cheap cable a friend gave me!. The anker powerline isn't flimsy, instead it comes across as a quality product -- and no concerns about the connectors either which also seem very sturdy.

Comparing it with the apple cable (which of course also works perfectly on day 1) the powerline cable feels better quality & yet half the price of the apple cable, so it seems to be a no brainer.. Now my only question is how many to order (car, bedroom, living room?)... and which exact type as they do a few other variations too!

New Trent iCarrier IMP120D - (12000mAh) 5V 3A Dual USB Ports External Battery Charger/ Portable Back Up Power Bank/Power Pack Battery for iPad 4/ 3 /2, iPad mini, iPhone 5 /4S / 4, iPod Touch; Samsung Galaxy Note 2, S4/S3/S2; Google Nexus 10/7/4, HTC ONE series; LG Optimus series; Motorola Razr, Droid series; Nokia Lumia 900 / 800, Sony Xperia series, GoPro, and most 5V chargeable devices. (NEWEST VERSION, w/ Micro-USB input charge port)

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for travel, camping - charges many times, 18 Jun. 2011
In July I'm off to Silverstone to enjoy a full-on British Grand Prix weekend, so I'll be camping and
needed to keep my phone topped up for obligitory photos/twitter/facebook etc. Rather than take lots of
batteries which would only work with my current phone I thought I'd try a USB charger

In summary I'm delighted with the purchase -- using it more and more every week!

Nice packaging. Clean and stylish & Arrived in a couple of days

In the box:

* 2A charger
* Powerpack containing a 11000 mAh battery
* A USB cable ending up in a simple power jack connector
* A series of replaceable tips including the obligitory micro USB (my interest)

The unit itself has only one USB port unlike some units, and charging of the unit itself isn't via
USB, but via a regular power connector (2A). My first charge took around 6h

In a week of testing (results at blog below) the charger charged my Nokia N900 (1350 mAh) around 6.5
times -- very respectable

The only 2 points to be aware of
- If you want to *charge* one of these packs from USB get the lower capacity New Trent device
- a friend has a slightly different model and loves it too
- Many devices will only charge at 500 mA using the supplied cable -- at least my N900 did. IMO this
SHOULD be fixed in the supplied charger/cable though note the charger does work just slower. The fix
is to find a modified cable/connector where the data pins are shorted, which instructs the phone to
draw as much as it can (ie 1A)

Conclusion
* Definately Recommended - addresses a real problem with a sensible price & usable unit

Benefits

* Delivers nearly much power as expected in unscientific tests
* easy to charge from mains
* reasonably compact/light for the capacity
* easy to use
* excellent value

Caveats

* May only get 500 mAh charge
* only a single port
* cannot be charged from USB
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2013 9:20 PM BST