Profile for Book Critic > Reviews

Content by Book Critic
Top Reviewer Ranking: 310

Book Critic (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Firm Skin Facial Moisturiser 50 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Firm Skin Facial Moisturiser 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious light cream; soft, dewy skin, 31 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have now tried many products in this range and all of them have been really lovely. All contain Manuka honey – famous for its medicinal qualities – and bee venom (which the company promise is extracted without harming bees) which (they claim) has a tightening, rejuvenating effect – they say it enhances the skin’s natural production of collagen. I can’t support or deny these claims, I’ve only been using the cream for a couple of days. I can say it is a very lovely day cream that most definitely improves the appearance of the skin (I should say I am also using other products in the range that are, presumably, all designed to wok together. My skin is very definitely looking much nicer - clearer and wrinkles are also improved if ever so slightly – clutching at straws I suppose but we oldies need all the help we can get). The main benefit I’ve noticed from the products in this range is the great improvement in the general look of the skin, the evenness of tone and the texture; skin looks plumper, hydrated, dewy almost. After a few days of continued use, everything seems to lift and glow. It really has been noticeable to me and my other half.
This day cream comes in a pretty frosted pot. It goes on smoothly, with the lightest, fresh scent – it is not over-perfumed. Quickly absorbed into the skin it leaves no oily residue. There’s that slight tingle again – I’ve noticed it from all the Manuka and bee venom creams; is it the bee venom – the range’s selling point – at work (or have they something added to create a tingle so you think it’s the bee venom at work? Yes, I am cynical – but to be honest, I don’t really mind because however my skin is left wonderfully moisturised. Whatever it is these creams and oils are doing and however they are doing it, they are doing *something*.
Of course, with all products containing bee venom, it must not be used by any one with an allergy to bee stings. The product does advise a skin test before first use which it seems foolish to ignore.

Manuka Doctor ApiClear Facial Peel 100 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiClear Facial Peel 100 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Really cleanses skin!, 30 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not at all what I was expecting when I slapped it on for twenty minutes after my shower last night. This is a very thick paste - like an old fullers-earth based mud mask (kaolin is one of the main ingredients). Spread it on thickly (if you’re like me, you won’t want to; it’s not a huge tube, just 100ml, and my natural inclination is to be thrifty); a thin layer will not peel – as I discovered when I came to take it off and was left scrubbing at my face with fingertips, looking like a zombie with ribbons of skin peeling off my face. Only in the areas where I accidentally spread it a little too thickly did it really peel away. I must remember to be less stingy next time.
It has a pleasant, faint, herby-fruity smell and it feels like a proper face mask: skin tautens and tightens and with that faint tingle I’ve felt from other items in this range (perhaps he bee venom?). I like that; I like a mask I think I can feel working. When I did get it off, my skin really did feel soft and incredibly clean. There are ingredients to exfoliate here, like papaya– alongside a lot of other botanical extracts that I have little idea why they are included (barley, pine, grapefruit, artemesia, bamboo are just some). Honey and the lauded bee venom are quite low down the list, but I suppose something like bee venom, a little is all you need.
It surely goes without saying that this mask must not be used by those with an allergy to bee stings.

Tiger's Eye Charm Necklace Natural Healing Stone Pendant Mineral Jewellery Gift for Her(Brown)
Offered by BINLI

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge stone, attractive setting, amazing price, 29 May 2016
A polished tiger’s eye pendant, with a faceted, pointed-end bayonet cut, on a silver-colour metal chain held on a large and pretty styled setting. Tiger’s eye is one of my favourite stones and – while this stone is not of the first quality (there are a lot of tiny chips and a flaw in the stone itself) at this price, I would not expect a grade 1 stone. For the money, it is an extremely handsome pendant, beautifully set in its clap and much larger than I was expecting – a good 2 inches long. It hangs from a short snake chain, finished with a simple link chain and a nicely chunky (easy to use!) lobster clasp. The chain is made of brass plated with a silver finish designed to look like platinum (beware green skin when the plating wears off!). I personally prefer a shorter chain which shows off the stone against the chest, rather than having it dangle lower; if you prefer a longer chain, it would be easy to replace it.
The necklace arrives in a simple, but very attractive plain card box, with a cloth-like texture and very attractive, bronzed finish.
Tiger’s eye is said to protect the wearer against curses and traditionally worn as a talisman. Whether or not you believe such things, this is a very attractive necklace and a super buy at this price. I received this pendant for free in exchange for a fair and honest review. This has in no way influenced my opinion of the product.
Comment Comment | Permalink

PYRUS 320ml Portable Smart Cup Health Sensor 8 times Drinking Reminder Alarm with LED Screen Display Creative Intelligent Water Bottle
Offered by PYRUS UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, sleek and stylish, 29 May 2016
Drink eight glasses of water a day, they say but how do you ever remember to do that? I know I never do, and when I’m busy working, often it is just too much trouble and bother to get up and get water. If I’m up on my feet and heading to the kitchen, I’m going to get a mug of coffee, not a glass of water.
So this digital water bottle is a really interesting and potentially useful product. It comes beautifully packaged in a strong card box lined with protective padding. The bottle looks great: sleek and stylish in glossy, plain white plastic with black top and bottom. It looks a little like a small flask: a screw-top lid opens to the bottle inside where you store your water. The clever bit is at the bottom, where a black lid lifts off to reveal a battery-operated section where you set the timer that reminds you to take a drink of water. Four tiny buttons set the reminder time, a second reminder (like a sleep button), with time up and time down buttons to change the setting time. The buttons are really tiny; you need a Biro nib or similar to use them. Your settings show on a blue-lit digital display on the front of the water bottle, which also gives you the date and time. It’s not just useful as a reminder to drink more water, but could be used to time medicine and vitamin taking too, or any number of other uses. It uses 2 AAA batteries (not included). A pretty clever product, very portable, will fit inside a tote, rucksack or briefcase, and it looks good too. I received this digital water bottle for free in exchange for a fair and honest review. This has in no way influenced my opinion of this excellent product.
Comment Comment | Permalink

PYRUS Travel Bottle Sets Lightweight Pump & Spray Pastic Bottle Containers Ideal For Cosmetic Shampoo Shower Gel
Offered by PYRUS UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for any trip, 29 May 2016
Such a useful little travel set. You get 4, clear plastic lightweight bottles – 2 with regular dispensing tops, one with a spray nozzle and one pump action bottle - 2 mini-pots, a spatula, an extra, long-necked dispensing top and even a tiny funnel to help you fill your bottles. It all comes in a zip lock case – perfect for travelling. The bottles are not strong, they won’t take a lot of crushing so bury them deep in your luggage – this is the payoff for their lightness. It’s a super little set that makes preparing product for a trip so much easier than having to buy special, over-priced ‘travel-size’ bottle of your usual stuff. I received this travel set for free in exchange for a fair and honest review. This has in no way influenced my opinion of this excellent product.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Classic White Pearl Earrings - Freshwater Cultured (6 - 6.5mm) Stud Earrings with White-Gold Plated 925 Sterling Silver Backings by Retorica
Offered by Dobi brands

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and beautiful, 29 May 2016
Small, elegant fresh-water pearls, with that lovely, natural, organic look of true freshwater pearls; a creamy translucence and a lovely white colour with gorgeous iridescence, shining pink, green, blue – they are truly lovely pearls. Unlike sea-water pearls, they are never truly spherical; each and every pearl is individual, unique. This pair of pearls is beautifully set in white gold-plated sterling silver, so there’s little chance of an allergic reaction. Simply and neatly presented in a plain brown box, the quality of these pearl studs is far in excess of their price and I absolutely love them.
I received these earrings for free in exchange for a fair and honest review. This has in no way influenced my opinion of this most excellent product.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Rainbrace Unisex Rain Umbrella Long-handle Rainbow Fashion, Strongly Windproof Oversized Outdoor Golf Umbrella with 10 Ribs
Offered by MX TRADE
Price: £1,995.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes me happy, 29 May 2016
Fabulously cheerful, rainbow umbrella, perfect for the beach or just for grey, rainy days when you need a splash of colour to keep you happy. This is a traditional-style umbrella: full-length (not telescopic) with a proper question-mark hook handle – a no-nonsense shape which is always comfortable to hold and less likely to be swept out of your hand in a sudden squall. There’s a switch to send it shooting up to its full forty inch glory; bringing it down again is manual-only (watch your fingers on the spokes!). It does the job beautifully too. It has a very sturdy build and a metal and fibreglass frame. It’s not super-strong; I wouldn’t take it out in the teeth of a force 9 gale, but it’s pretty tough and very unlikely to be bent or spoiled through normal use. Of course, the most important question with any umbrella is, will it keep the rain off? Blessed as we are with a bout of unusually gorgeous weather for the soggy north-west, I had to test it out with the garden hose and it threw off even the strongest, most prolonged spray. I’d say it would withstand the regular nasty, blustering, wet and ghastly days we’re all too accustomed to up here on the Lancashire moors. Give it a quick shake and it’s dry again. It furls back up really nicely too, no raggedy mess, just a neatly furled umbrella of the kind bowler-hatted city gents used to strut with, but in a brilliant rainbow of colour. I was given this product for free in exchange for a fair and honest review. This has in no way influenced my opinion of this product.

Giftgarden® White Butterfly Photo Frame 7x5 inch
Giftgarden® White Butterfly Photo Frame 7x5 inch
Offered by Gift_Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars So pretty, 29 May 2016
Really pretty: thirty small white mother-of-pearl-like butterflies set around the frame. Each butterfly is individually positioned and slightly off-set so that they catch the light differently, in the way a leaded glass window does, giving a lovely effect. The black velvet back and stand compliment the frame beautifully. It does take a little assembling; the screw-fitted brackets that hold the backing to the frame are so tightly screwed in they cannot be adjusted by hand. I tried to do the job with a strong knife, but it just wasn’t up to the job. In the end, I had to give in and root out a Phillips screwdriver of tiny size to open the brackets to get the picture in, then screw them al back down again to hold it in place. Given that most people are not swapping pictures about their frames very often, it’s likely to be a one-time job, so it’s not a major problem, but it was a fiddling business that occasioned a good deal of bad temper and epic swearing on my part when I was doing battle with it. It does of course mean that when the thing is securely screwed down, the picture doesn’t slide about and the glass and frame don’t tend to fall apart each time I dust (as so often happens with too many other frames in this house). Five stars (despite my temporary frustration with it); it is a very lovely frame. I received this picture frame for free in exchange for a fair and honest review. This has in no way influenced my opinion.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Magnetic Screen Door, BESTOPE Mesh Curtain - Keeps Bugs Out Let Fresh Air In, Full Frame Velcro Mesh with Top-to-Bottom Seal No More Mosquitos or Flying Insects Fits Doors Up To 34" x 82" MAX
Offered by BESTOPE UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nary a bee nor a wasp nor a midge shall pass, 29 May 2016
How fabulous is this easy-to-fit screen door? All summer long we suffer from flies in the kitchen, and bees – lots of flowers and herbs outside our kitchen door mean bees visit in droves and it doesn’t usually take long before one or more wander inside and find themselves trapped. As my husband is allergic to bee stings, this occasions no end of panic until the wayward bee is safely ushered back outside. We can’t keep the door shut all summer long; we’ve tried other barriers against insect invasion – other mesh doors that Velcro to the frame and the old favourite, the curtain of rainbow plastic ribbons. They’re all better than nothing, but they never are able to prevent every fly, bee and wasp getting in (and the permanently Velcroed on mesh was such a nuisance to get in and out of and frightened the dogs).
This screen door is similar to the Velcroed mesh sheets, but works as an actual door. It opens on a strip down the middle. The strip contains magnets that part easily to let you move in and out, but instantly seal themselves back together once you’ve passed through. It is simplicity itself to put up, with sticky-backed Velcro strips that hold it to any frame, even PVC, with no need to drill or screw and potentially damage your door. It really is a wonder: not a single fly or bee has got into the kitchen since we erected it, and it has been very hot and sunny; as I type this review the kitchen is humming with the bees gathering nectar on the flowers outside, yet our kitchen remains blissfully bee – and panic – free. The dogs are happy passing through it too. We absolutely love it. I received this screen door for free in exchange for a fair and honest review and this has in no way influenced my opinion of this product.
Comment Comment | Permalink

4K Action Camera Cam, miSafes WiFi Sports Camera Cam 2.0 Inch 16MP 4K 1080P 170° Wide Angle Lens H.264 HDMI Output Action Camcorder with Waterproof Case and Accessories Kit, Perfect for Extreme Sports Outdoor Motorcycle Skiing Snowboarding Surfing Hiking Climbing
Offered by miSafes EUstore

5.0 out of 5 stars Good action cam package at a great price, 28 May 2016
Length:: 3:15 Mins

This nice looking GoPro clone is from a supplier I am not familiar with in the action cam world so I was interested to see what it was like. T turns out that this camera is available in an identical box from various suppliers at a range of prices which should not detract from the qualities of the camera.

It arrived very well presented in an up market display box and along with the camera inside was the various bits and pieces needed for a car bracket and various other basic add-ons, it would have been nice to have a wider selection included. They are shown in my un-boxing video along with a scanned copy of the User Guide, which is a reasonable size and nicely printed but brief.

The most important thing is the camera and this has some quite high end specifications on offer. It can handle 4K resolution at a very impressive 3840x2160@24Fps and HD at 2560x1440@30Fps. 24fps is frankly a bit on the slow side for action sports use but the image quality so far as I can tell from my PC screen (I don't have a 4K TV) seems good. For myself I am more interested in the 1920x1080@60fps which I find most useful At this resolution the video quality is excellent with all the advantages 60fps brings to the sports footage.

It comes supplied with a decent range of mounts and other add-ons and all the basic ones are present including helmet and bike mounts. It is a pity that only one battery is supplied but they are easily available online..

The camera also supports wifi in the same way as most higher specced camera do, real time streaming through a micro network. You will need to download the 'Canany' phone app to do this. Note that this replaces the earlier 'Finalcam' app. The camera has a 900Mah battery on board and the claimed 70 minutes of use seems not unrealistic.

This is fast and powerful camera with some high end features let down by a limited number of included accessories. That said the current price of a shade under £60 for a 4K camera still represents for me a five star bargain.

I received this camera for free in exchange for a fair and honest review. This has in no way influenced my opinion of the product.

The Good

Great price

Good build quality

Attractive presentation box

Good video at 2K

Easy to read User Guide

The Bad

Limited range of accessories
Slow 4K frame rate