Profile for Rbrt > Reviews

Rbrt

Morphy Richards 732102 Supervac 2-in-1 Vacuum Cleaner, Dual Power, 21.6v, Red
Morphy Richards 732102 Supervac 2-in-1 Vacuum Cleaner, Dual Power, 21.6v, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Zippy, light-weight and hassle-free, 17 April 2017
We have mostly wooden floors with a few rugs, and the Supervac 2-in-1 fills perfectly a need we had for a lightweight, cordless vacuum cleaner.

Because it folds over, it takes very little storage space, and the fact that you can remove the bottom half as a hand-held vacuum is awesome. It's convenient for cleaning working surfaces, dusting sofas and cleaning the inside of the car. Using it as our primary vacuum now because it lasts a long time on a charge and the suction is fine, easily enough to deal with the kitchen and other high-mess areas. It maintains suction and emptying the dust compartment and cleaning the filter are both much easier than with out standard upright as well.

I think the reason I like it so much is that it does away with the chief drags of cleaning with our previous upright - heavy weight, wires that never stretch enough to get to the corner of the room and the faff/mess of having to empty the dust compartment. In contrast, this is a zippy, light-weight and hassle-free machine and I definitely recommend it.

Morphy Richards 108108 Prism Kettle, Yellow
Morphy Richards 108108 Prism Kettle, Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky futurist kettle, 22 Aug. 2016
I love the futuristic-but-retro design and the yellow would suit a modern apartment or a mediterranean-themed kitchen. Water boiled quickly and there was plenty of capacity, easily measured by the clear water level indicator; I didn't want any more from a kettle but was also surprised about how easy to pour it was with the handle being on top. Bright, cheers me up with my morning tea, and looks great with the matching Prism toaster.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2016 4:27 PM BST

Morphy Richards 402050 Total Control Hand Blender - White
Morphy Richards 402050 Total Control Hand Blender - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Turbo blending, 2 Oct. 2015
The Total Control hand blender arrived in sturdy, but easy to open, packaging that contained the hand blender itself, instructions and a blending/measuring jug. The jug has a lid and is is a convenient way of storing juices or sauces in the fridge once blended.

The blender itself looks really good - it’s quite futuristic looking with clean lines and a black and white design - and doesn't take up a lot of space in my kitchen draw. There is a twist dial on top to choose one of eight speed settings depending on what you need to blend. In addition, there is a ‘turbo mode’ button which increases power further when you need it, with a noticeable kick in your hands as the device shifts up a gear. The device is mains powered, which means there is no worry about running out of charge, and the highest speed blending can be maintained over time.

I’ve used the blender so far to make juices from whatever fruit I had in the fridge (it does very well and managed to chop up nectarine and peach skins so fine that they did not have to be removed so I got the benefit of all that fibre) and to blend soups and sauces while cooking. You need to be careful when not using the provided jug as the high speed could easily splash if the device is still blending when you remove it from the pan.

In short, I am pleased with how effective and easy to use the hand blender was and have enjoyed what I’ve made so far with it. Next step - protein shakes and smoothies!

A Is for Alibi
A Is for Alibi
by Sue Grafton

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure I'm going to make it to B., 16 Mar. 2010
This review is from: A Is for Alibi (Paperback)
Let me save you some time. Kinsey Millhone goes to location X and asks person Y some questions. Then she goes jogging. When she returns to her motel she bemoans the fact that the case is going nowhere. This is repeated about 60 times and then the book ends without the reader being troubled by anything exciting. Well, there is the occasional introduction of a California Fidelity insurance fraud subplot but this is v. dull and ultimately goes nowhere - this book in microcosm.

The depictions of sex (although the tough, twice-divorced PI insists that it is 'making love') are, frankly, embarrassing: 'He did things to me I've only read about in books.' I am sure there are other cringeworthy examples. My mind has blanked them out for now.

Ultimately, A is for 'Advice', 'Avoid', 'A better option would be watching paint dry' and 'All that time I spent reading this book to the end - I want it back!'

Absolution Gap (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Absolution Gap (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Alastair Reynolds

2.0 out of 5 stars You can see the joins, 17 Dec. 2005
I think that's the best way to describe it - there are some great ideas here but the story lacks polish in some places. I found myself saying 'Ah, another character development scene' in places, because this book does not seem to carry the same conviction or pack the same succession of punches as Reynolds' other excellent books. Maybe he was sick of the characters by this time?