Profile for Mr. P. A. Mountford > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. A. Moun...

Mr. P. A. Mountford "Radiothesia" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Third
Third

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius never fades, 17 April 2007
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
I heard this in 1970. Few albums have stayed with me in quite the way this one has. I was an impressionable 13 yr old with an older brother who introduced me to the wonders of rock music and along the way bought this to my attention. It is an absolutly unique album that sounds as amazing today as it did then. Facelift's opening organ solo creeps up like a creature from another planet and bursts into full band blowing. Slightly All The Time is a jazz-rock symphony, Moon In June shows Wyatt at his most extensivly weird and Out Blood Rageious finds Ratledge at his most facinating, incorporating his Terry Riley inspired tape delay experimentations sandwiched between jazz riffing wonderment. This, together with Terry Riley's 'A Rainbow In Curved Air' remains one of my all time desert island discs. It has opened me up to so much great music as a result, but has also proved to be a peerless achievement. This particular version of The Softs only managed to survive a short time, but the legacy of 'Third' is unquestionable. It is not simply jazz,rock, or avante garde experimentation. It is a unique sonic experince that has never really been matched by anyone scince. Buy it and treasure it. You will not be disapointed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2011 12:14 PM GMT

Violence: Reflections on Our Deadliest Epidemic (Forensic Focus)
Violence: Reflections on Our Deadliest Epidemic (Forensic Focus)
by James Gilligan

5.0 out of 5 stars A major contribution to understanding violence, 15 April 2005
James Gilligan sets out to explore and explain the roots of violence. Far from being a natural product of human evolution, violence in our communities is more analogious to a desease. When viewed as an issue of public health, Gilligan shows that environment breeds violence. Violent men are created by their experiences in childhood, where they have received and witnessed abuse. Change can only come when we stop punishing and instead work at understanding. This is not the same as 'excusing'. Violent men are responsible for their actions in the here and now. However, if we treat violence as a disease, not only do we give appropriate treatment to the patient, we also look at addressing the environment in which this disease was able to breed. Interestingly, Gilligan acted as a consultant to Tony Blair and the Labour party prior to their election in the '90's. It is sad to see how Blair ditched the wisdom of Gilligan's insights in favour of a stance that was more 'voter friendly'.
I highly recomend this book!

Touch
Touch
Offered by reissuesdirect

4.0 out of 5 stars A Touch too early, 9 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
I first heard the track 'Down At Circes Place' on the sampler 'Wowie Zowie: The World of progressive Music' in 1969/70. of all the tracks on that album, this one has stayed in my mind for the past 35+ years. So discovering the album recently in CD was wonderful! For the most part I have not been disapointed. Sure, it is perhaps a little flawed, and does not always stand up to the test of time, but it really is worth having, if only for the above mentioned track and Seventy Five, which is quite a piece. This is a band that deserves its place in musical history. Buy it!

Charles Trenet
Charles Trenet

5.0 out of 5 stars 30's French joyfull tunes for the 21st Century, 28 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Charles Trenet (Audio CD)
I pride myself on being catholic in my taste in music. Today I listened to Nue! (German avant-garde Bowie inpiration)and picked up this cd on a whim. I had heard 'La Mer' on an advert and loved it, so thought deeper exploration might be interesting. It was! Great songs, great melodies and as someone said in another review, the perfect antidote to SAD!
I mention Nue! and Bowie at the start of the review, not as a pose so much as to point out that Trenet's music can appeal to ANYONE! You can get a thrill out of Radiohead AND enjoy something that might seem the complete antithesis. I will check out more of his stuff asap!

At The Rainbow
At The Rainbow
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Focus at their best, 12 Jun. 2004
This review is from: At The Rainbow (Audio CD)
I remeber as a teenager watching the live broadcast of this concert on tv, which I recorded on an old reel-to-reel. I played it continuously untill the music was embeded in my sub-consious, to the extent that even now I can replay Jan Ackermans solo from 'Questions? Answers!...' almost note perfect. This particular solo is one of the most lyrical and exciting guitar solo's I have ever heard. What the average listener might not be aware of is that Ackerman had broken a string early on in the piece and rapidly restrings his guitar while Van Leer solo's. You can hear him re-tuning as the flute ends and the solo is about to begin which creates a sense of anticipation that is met with Ackerman playing at his best as the solo takes off. (Ackerman was to leave Focus and more or less disapear into obscurity, which is a shame given that he is such a fine player) Just Gibson Les Paul and amp, thats all he uses thruogh out the recording, occasionally using his little finger to tweek the volume control, giving a violin like effect (believe me! I watched him do it on the tv, no volume pedal in sight!)
Some years later, I like many of my peers picked up on Punk and New Wave. This great music brought to an end this curious decade which began with the death of Hendrix, the emergance of Proggresive Music and the musical rebelion of the late 70's. Howver, the British music media still to echo's the Punk mantra that 'all things proggressive are CRAP!' The reality is that those who embraced Punk and New Wave etc where the same people who listened to Focus and Yes and all the other Progressive bands. That was because this style of music was in itself an underground reaction against the mainstream and an attempt to produce new and inovative music.
Focus where as much a part of that innovation and rebellion as anyone else and produced music the like of which had not been heard before. OK, so Hocus Pocus was a bit iffy, and the album 'Mother Focus' bland and tediuos nonsence. But there is still a richness in their sound, and for me in Ackernmans playing that still stands the test of time. Perhaps at some point in the future their music will be intelligently reconcidered, along with the other bands of that era, and the days of 'prog bashing' be put aside in favour of proper musical analysis.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2012 10:47 PM GMT

Decoder Ring [Australian Import]
Decoder Ring [Australian Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grooves From Down-under, 6 Jun. 2004
This is one of the best and most exciting albums I have heard for some considerable time. Its a perfect blend of ambient and dance beats, driven by some superb bass and guitar riffs and tunes.
The frustrating thing is, that I am writing this having only heard a burned cd copy provided by an Aussie mate, as it is not available in the UK! Will some suitably intelligent record company get its act together and release it here? I garentee they will be HUGE!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4