Profile for Martin Kucharcik > Reviews

Content by Martin Kucharcik

Martin Kucharcik

Cissp: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide, Seventh Edition
by James M. Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars context is totally dry and boring. This book is written in very academic style, 5 Sept. 2016
Let's face it, this book is written by two school teachers and their lack of real hands-on experience is obviously visible in every single line and every chapter. There are no proper examples from the real world, context is totally dry and boring. This book is written in very academic style, miles away from the reality. I would not recommend this book as it will either confuse you or takes you into technical nitty-gritty, which you do not need to know in great detail for exam. When I read this book I could clearly see my old university professor who used to bore me to death with his 1970's style of explaining what HDD is and how CPU works, you get the same pile of poo with this book too. Easy things are trillion times repeated, but the ''bread and butter'' is just awkwardly explained. I've been working in IT security area for more that 10 years now and was genuinely looking forward to get my hands on this book as want to finally do my cissp, but I am seriously disappointed. If you can, AVOID!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2017 11:45 AM BST

Nest Protect 2nd Generation Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Battery)
Nest Protect 2nd Generation Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Battery)

5.0 out of 5 stars connecting to power and iphone app was dead easy - pretty much anybody can do it, 15 July 2016
I bought 2 of these recently, connecting to power and iphone app was dead easy - pretty much anybody can do it. Really happy with the purchase

ContourROAM2 Handsfree HD Action Camera - Black (5MP, Still Photo Sensor)
ContourROAM2 Handsfree HD Action Camera - Black (5MP, Still Photo Sensor)

4.0 out of 5 stars contour roam2 camera - quick review, 31 July 2015
I have been looking for a decent camera, which I could attach to my helmet as I ride a motorbike. After a week or so comparing market leaders and hundreds of other similar products I came across of this little germ which immediately ticked all my boxes as water proof, light, 1080p, ability to upgrade memory, battery life (3-3.5 hours), built-in mic, easy to manipulate as I were bike gloves. As a bonus you get built-in laser pointer, led lights for memory and battery usage and memory format button. The only disadvantages are: no plug for external mic and no loop recording - so once the card is full, you have to format it, and non re-placeble battery - once it is flat u cannot remove and change, you have to re-charge. Regarding to attaching it to helmet, you will have a two mountings - one is just a ''static'' and does not rotate and another one does rotate 360 degrees and you can lock it in angle which you want. 3M stickers seems solid, but contour recommends applying a bit of heat (from hairdryer for example) prior sticking it to clean helmet surface (use a bit of alcohol for cleaning). Apart from that you can attach a string to the camera and mouting, or as I did I connected the other end to a clip inside of my helmet which holds cheek inserts in (just in case the mounting would fell off completely for whatever reason). I have not tried to take video during night so cannot comment that. Overall it is a good piece of kit worth spending money on.

Mastering the Art of Photography Composition: Learn Tips and Tricks for Better Creative Photos for Beginners and Intermediate Photographers

4.0 out of 5 stars Mastering the Art of Photography Composition: Learn Tips and Tricks for., 22 May 2014
Very happy with the purchase, easy to read, many helpful tips, definitely recommended to learn basic composition tricks and ''how-to''.

The Digital Photography Book: Part 1
The Digital Photography Book: Part 1

3.0 out of 5 stars The Digital Photography Book: Part 1 (2nd Edition), 22 May 2014
Found it a bit too ''chatty'' and not really too much useful. I would recommend to buy some other book.

Tamron AF 16-300 mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Lens for Canon Camera
Tamron AF 16-300 mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Lens for Canon Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Tamron 16-300 mm for canon lens review, 22 May 2014
By the time you are reading this review, I am pretty sure you already know prons and cons of super zoom lenses in general as this one is, so I am not going into too much details comparing it to other zoom lenses. I do must say I was a bit nervous about buying it as it is quite new product, not many reviews (if any) out there, however I am happy I purchased it as it allows me to carry one single lens rather than 2-3 which I would need to swap when needed. To my great surprise I found it not too heavy to carry around, the lens body build is solid, buttons and switches seems to me quite decent, also AF is fast enough. While zoom in or out, the lens does not rotate so no prob with polarizing filters. The lens is shipped with lens hood. So far I have not spotted any ''zoom creep'', however there is a ''lock'' button which locks zoom at 16mm. The only disadvantages I can think or are: 1) if you want to get UV/polarizing filter you have to purchase size 67, which can be a bit pricey, 2) it might not produce the sharpest photos (comparing to lenses as canon 18-85 or canon 70-300 is usm), 3) I think it is a bit too expensive for what it is/what it does. 4) not really meant for taking videos as you will hear focus ''buzzing'' while video is recorded; In overall, I think it is a great product and it does its job very well. I gave it 4 stars, just because of its high price.

Group Policy: Fundamentals, Security, and the Managed Desktop
Group Policy: Fundamentals, Security, and the Managed Desktop
by Jeremy Moskowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Group policy book by Jeremy Moskowitz, 17 Jan. 2013
This is one of my the most favourite books and I keep it always handy on my desk. I found it very helpful as it provides technical ''deep dive'' behind group policies and how to configure them properly. I mean when you do your microsoft training as MCSE/MCITP you do get some knowledge about GPOs, but this book takes it 100 miles further to make you GPO ''guru'' sort of speak. It did help me a lot to understand how to implement GPOs, folder redirection, etc... for my Citrix environment (even though this book does not explain citrix technology). I would highly recommend this book to any microsoft/citrix engineer.

Getting Started with Citrix XenApp 6.5
Getting Started with Citrix XenApp 6.5
by Musumeci Guillermo

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Getting Started with Xenapp 6.5 by Musumeci Guillermo, 17 Jan. 2013
This book is much more better written than its previous version (Getting Started with Xenapp 6.0). It contains ''bread and butter'' what you need to know about deploying Xenapp 6.5 in small/medium environment. It explains the main technologies behind Xenapp 6.5 without too much hassle so if you have not ever worked with Xenapp you will pick it up very quickly. What is more, you can build your test lab just following scenarios in this book to get some idea how everything works. I would recommend this book to anyone who has little or none experience/knowledge about Xenapp technology as it will provide you with decent degree of understanding. However even as citrix professional I found this book very helpful regarding to new features in 6.5 version.

Citrix XenServer 6.0 Administration Essential Guide
Citrix XenServer 6.0 Administration Essential Guide
by Daniele Tosatto

5.0 out of 5 stars review of Citrix Xenserver 6.0 book by D Tosatto, 17 Jan. 2013
Prior installation of Xenserver I read this book twice from cover to cover.It is well written, it explains advanced features in plain English, it is very helpful guide. Also it did help me to prepare for Citrix Xenserver exam. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is planning to deploy Xenserver or Xenserver together with Xenapp/Xendesktop.

Mastering VMware vSphere 5
Mastering VMware vSphere 5
by Scott Lowe

5.0 out of 5 stars VCP 5 done, 7 Dec. 2011
Hi, I read this book several times from cover to cover and used it also as a part of my VCP 5 training. All I can say is that Scott did a great job, this book provides almost everything that you need to know about Vsphere 5. Comparing this book to Mastering Vmware Vsphere 4 (also from the same author), I found it better and easier to read, but this is just my personal opinion. Scott precisely explains each topic together with some examples. I would recommend this book to anyone who is new to vmware, wants to know new stuff in Vsphere 5 or is getting ready for VCP5. I believe this book is ''Bible'', ''All-in-one'', ''The best Vsphere 5'' book in these days. I have done my VCP 4 and VCP 5 only thanks to Scott's Mastering Vmware Vsphere books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2012 3:56 PM GMT