Profile for birkenbod > Reviews

Content by birkenbod

birkenbod (NW England)

The Killing Pool: Detective Fiction (Dci Billy Mccartney 1)
The Killing Pool: Detective Fiction (Dci Billy Mccartney 1)
by Kevin Sampson

5.0 out of 5 stars A great dark read with a shuddering twist, 10 April 2013
Picked this up after getting into Sampson's 'Stars are Stars'... It's a different beast altogether but even though its more of a genre read.. it's a belter!

McCartney is a unique crimefighter... just how unique is revealed at the end in a gobsmacking way. All the characters and the locations reek of authenticity. Not much more to say other than I hope there's another McCartney on the way.

The Silence [DVD]
The Silence [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ulrich Thomsen

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as the best of Nordic Noir, 10 April 2013
This review is from: The Silence [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this first on iplayer. I was staggered how complex my emotion response was to the main characters and found myself routing for the paedophile's accomplice... bought it on DVD and it was even better 2nd viewing. Highly recommended as a dark watch.

Slade in Flame [DVD/CD]
Slade in Flame [DVD/CD]
Dvd ~ Slade

4.0 out of 5 stars Better now than ever., 5 July 2012
This review is from: Slade in Flame [DVD/CD] (DVD)
I saw this back in the mid seventies at the cinema. As a Slade fan I was dissapointed that they were not playing themselves and it felt like an adult tv drama.

Thirty years later I picked up the DVD and saw for what it was. It's a great drama. The Slade lads actual perform amazingly well and it feels like a modern UK indie film in a way.

I recommend it on every level. As long as you are not a mad 14 year fan.

Go To Sleep
Go To Sleep
by Helen Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Painful but True, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I bought this because my wife and I had a nightmare time with our first child who didn't sleep more than 2 hours until he was three. I was hoping it would help me understand a bit more why we both just fell apart and we were lucky to have any relationship left to rebuild.

And the book did help. It looks into all the dark corners of the post natal soul and puts it all out there. Incredibly painful... and with absolute truth.

On top of all that it's beautifully written. A much needed triumph.

Awaydays [DVD]
Awaydays [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Graham
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Class, pure class., 31 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Awaydays [DVD] (DVD)
I may be biased because I'm a Birkenhead lad, but this is how it was. Incredibly evocative and moving.