Profile for K. I. Maston > Reviews

Content by K. I. Maston

K. I. Maston (Sydney, Australia)

The New Becoming Vegetarian
The New Becoming Vegetarian
by Vesanto R. D. Melina

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of info and very clear, 1 July 2006
I have been a vegetarian for 7 years, but this is the first nutrition book I've bought. It has taught me so many new facts about different foods and what nutrients they contain, nearly all plant foods contain protein, I always thought it was only nuts and legumes! This book is clear and well laid out. Its not too biased either, and just states the facts. It has plenty of clear tables comparing nutritional values of different foods, and tells you what pattern of nutrients you need to be healthy. It has chapters on protein, minerals (iron, zinc especially), calcium, vitamins from fruits and vegetables, vitamin B12, also info about the vegetarian diet for all stages of life. It provides examples of good daily food plans, and has some recipes at the back too.

Reading this book has taught me so much new information, and my diet is much the better for it. I am now so much better informed about nutrition than most meat-eating people I know, so I am very well equiped to answer all those questions about where I will get my protein/iron/calcium from. Finally, I now feel very confident in my choice to become a vegetarian because I can see now how easy it is to get a balanced and healthy plant-based diet.

I definately recommend this book!