Profile for Lucy McGough > Reviews

Content by Lucy McGough

Lucy McGough (Northwich, Cheshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Bestway Comfort Quest Flocked Air Bed - 185 x 76 x 22 cm, Single, Blue
Bestway Comfort Quest Flocked Air Bed - 185 x 76 x 22 cm, Single, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so glad I impulse-bought this, 1 Mar. 2017
Handily portable, yet just as comfortable as sleeping on an actual bed.

Sonnets from the Spirit
Sonnets from the Spirit
by Christopher Villiers

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for the mind and the heart, 4 Feb. 2016
It may be helpful helpful to think of these sonnets as prayers that rhyme. The meticulously crafted first person narratives, each one containing a volta that depicts the narrator's mind coming to a fresh realisation of the nature of divinity, show God's power at work in the world in a variety of settings. Whether the subject of the sonnet is a saint, a sinner or simply a flawed person whose relationship with God requires improvement, slowly feeling their way towards enlightenment using the handholds of rhyme and metre, they will eventually realise — perhaps too late — that they are part of a pattern more wide, deep and beautiful than they can comprehend entirely. The elegant form of the sonnet, a staple of poetry for hundreds of years, is therefore used as a microcosm of the divine reason or Logos in which all this book's readers live and move and have their being.

The author is gifted with a rare intelligence tempered with understanding and piety which he uses to enter the heads of a heterogeneous range of Biblical figures. Although their corporeal forms became dust millennia ago, their spirits continue not only in whichever extra-mundane afterlife they now inhabit, but also in the pages of this slender yet deeply intriguing volume.

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for MacBook, Chromebook, Windows, Linux, Wii, Wii U & Switch Game Console
Offered by Plugable Technologies

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a thumbs up from me, 4 Feb. 2016
I bought this for my friend. It does what it says on the tin and he's had no problems whatsoever with it. Highly recommended for somebody who doesn't really do WiFi (not everyone is comfortable with all areas of computing) and needs to get their laptop online despite it only having USB ports.

DC Women's Superman Logo Crew Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt, Blue, Size 10 (Manufacturer Size:Medium)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super shirt!, 28 July 2015
This looks really good on me and I'm very glad that I bought it.

Transition
Transition
by Iain Banks

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth buying, 17 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Transition (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I have a few minor quibbles, like the science of the whole situation not being satisfactorily explained (unusual for Banks), and the ending being a bit rushed, but overall it's a very good read, especially if you are a fan of Banks and/or science fiction.

Game of Thrones - Season 1-4 [DVD] [2015]
Game of Thrones - Season 1-4 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 15 May 2015
I watched all of this in less than a week, because it was so good I couldn't stop. Only start watching this if you have lots of time on your hands, as it is the televisual equivalent of heroin. Needless to say, the actors are superb and the set designers' attention to detail is staggering. This box set includes 'how it was made' segments on the Battle of Blackwater and the wildlings' attack on the wall.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2015 9:59 AM GMT

Parker S0850690 Silver fountain Pen - fountain pens (Silver, Brass, Stainless steel, Fine, Blue, Water-based ink)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pen ever, 15 May 2015
This is the best fountain pen I've ever owned. It makes writing a pleasure. I like the gently curved shape of the pen and the feel of the brushed steel in my hand, and I like the way it makes words look on the page. If it ever breaks I'll buy another one, so I hope they go on making it.

2000ad Prog 1194
2000ad Prog 1194
by Gordon Rennie - Chris Weston
Edition: Comic

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite entertaining, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 2000ad Prog 1194 (Comic)
I liked the 'Tales from Telguuth' by the late Steve Moore, and Simon Davis' art. I also liked Chris Weston's art on the Judge Dredd story.

Casio G-Shock G-SHOCK Funk Men's Watch GW-2310-1ER
Casio G-Shock G-SHOCK Funk Men's Watch GW-2310-1ER

5.0 out of 5 stars Things I would like to have known before I bought this watch, 6 Jan. 2015
I've had this watch for about a week and so far it's done everything I want it to do. I like having five alarms (four normal, one snooze), and a countdown timer that can count down from as many as 24 hours. I'd rather have things like alarms, timers and a stopwatch on a watch than a phone, because you have a watch physically attached to you 24/7 and it's waterproof. Phones can get put down in another room and forgotten.

The watch receives the radio signal to update the time every night as I sleep. I wear it in bed even though the instruction booklet says that you're not supposed to, because I wore my previous Waveceptor watch in bed and that never caused me any problems.

The circular display at the top, to the left of the thing telling you the day of the week, tells you the watch's power status (high, medium or low), plus whether or not the watch needs charging and whether or not it's in power-saving mode. That accounts for the circle's five segments.

You can set the year on this watch (not that you'll need to, if you're receiving the time signal) but it isn't displayed anywhere. The number of the month will always precede the number of the day, in the American fashion, and there isn't anything you can do to change that.

Empire Mpero Collection Tough Armor Kickstand Case for HTC One Mini - Black
Empire Mpero Collection Tough Armor Kickstand Case for HTC One Mini - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A reliable phone protector, 5 Dec. 2014
This product is very good at protecting my phone, and looks quite smart too. The little stand at the back means that one can look at one's phone while eating alone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6