Profile for FG > Reviews

Street Fighter II: The Movie Blu-ray
Street Fighter II: The Movie Blu-ray
Dvd ~ Kenji Haga

4.0 out of 5 stars 1 star reviews?, 16 Jan. 2014
To be honest, I think some of the reviews of this release is a little harsh... This blu-ray really isn't that bad... The video quality is amazing, by far the best we've ever seen the SF2 movie, it is also fully uncensored from a visual perspective. Definitely a brand new transfer from the original film, this is not just an upscaled DVD release.

Which brings me onto my second point, the audio, and the area where this release tends to lose a lot of fans and gain a lot of 1 star reviews... It is important to note that this blu ray is the same one released in France (and therefore, a french audience)... So to put it bluntly, the English audio track was more of an after-thought... I'm not sure where they obtained the track, but it is the censored voice track in stereo only (unlike the DVD from a few years ago which featured an uncensored, newly remixed 5.1 surround track). This blu ray also lacks all the extras that came with the older DVD release, which could be a licensing issue. On the flip-side, you really can't compare the video quality of the DVD with this blu ray release and I love having the film in this kind of quality that I can enjoy on my HDTV.

So why do I say people are a little harsh on this release? Well, look at the 1 star reviews, I mean, seriously?! If this release had the uncensored audio track these reviewers would have given it 5 stars. I feel 4 is a reasonable rating given the fact that it could have been in Japanese/French only, but at least they thought about us, and therefore made the release possible, also, the video quality is unmatched to any other version of the film.

In short, it's Street Fighter II the Animated Movie on blu-ray. It's definitely not a perfect package, but I think it's still well worth the purchase. If the idea of having a version with censored stereo audio bothers you that much, the DVD version is still available at a really good price. My personal preference is the blu-ray, even with its censored audio track.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2015 9:39 PM BST

Plagues Of Babylon
Plagues Of Babylon

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album and amazing customer support, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Plagues Of Babylon (Audio CD)
This album is epic, I still prefer Dystopia since I liked the theme of that album a bit more, but musically I love Stu's vocals and the album itself is awesome. To be honest, there is 1 track I'm not fond of, but given the number of tracks on the album, that is a very small number, the others are keepers :). As for the outro track, you want to listen to it, it's short but funny, I'm surprised they actually put it on the disc!

Unfortunately, when they made my first copy they attached the cover of the book containing my discs upside-down, but I contacted Amazon support and they sorted it out with perfect customer satisfaction!

High School of the Dead [Blu-ray]
High School of the Dead [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Junichi Suwabe

4.0 out of 5 stars Similar to Walking Dead, 20 May 2013
Bought this to go with the omnibus, I like seeing how manga/anime vary... It's very close to Walking Dead in my opinion, but is much more focussed on the cute girls of the group to the point where it actually borderlines on painful to watch. Not that I mind to a great degree, I just think it's not necessary and feels a bit forced in there for the sake of making it appeal to harem-style anime fans.

Resident Evil: Damnation (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Resident Evil: Damnation (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Makoto Kamiya

4.0 out of 5 stars Why can't they use the game models?!, 20 May 2013
I really liked Damnation, much better than the first one, and the character animation doesn't seem so stiff this time. I also think it's better than the movies with Milla Jovovich in them since this actually attempts to be like the game (follows the game's story/characters and just feels more like resident evil).

My only gripe with this release is that they're not using the character models from the game... I mean, I can understand copyright issues and all that, but for key characters like Leon and Ada, I would have expected Capcom to share their 3D assets with the production company. Having said that, the models don't look terrible, just different. They were clearly inspired by the RE6 models though.

Highschool of the Dead Color Omnibus, Vol. 1
Highschool of the Dead Color Omnibus, Vol. 1
by Daisuke Satō

3.0 out of 5 stars Questionable shipping, good item, 20 May 2013
While it is excellent seeing the manga in colour, the shipping wasn't great and my omnibook was damaged in the process :(. Which is unfortunate as I wanted it as a collector's item.

As for the manga itself... well, it is an enjoyable read, very much in the style of Walking Dead (except with cute girls, which in retrospect only seems to get in the way of the storytelling, though you may not care as the story is still pretty good).

Anyway, worth buying in my opinion... I just wish amazon did a better job shipping this out to me.

Wild Africa [DVD]
Wild Africa [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Morris

4.0 out of 5 stars Only watched the first episode, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Wild Africa [DVD] (DVD)
This is not normally my kind of thing, but I bought it for my dad, and he loves it, I watched one episode and it was actually really good.

Lindsey Stirling
Lindsey Stirling

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Lindsey Stirling (Audio CD)
This is really great listening. Lindsey really manages to create an amazing sound and if you watch her videos, you'll only appreciate her more.