Profile for TM, > Reviews

TM, (UK,Europe)

Bach: Unaccompanied Cello Suites
Bach: Unaccompanied Cello Suites

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best version I have ever heard, 8 Nov. 2014
Simply the best version I have ever heard. Listen to the opening suite and you feel you are inside the cello, so beautiful is the resonance.
I borrowed the original version from a cello-playing relative many years ago ( yes, i did return it!) , but found the sound just a little muddy in places.
The remastered version fixes that and delivers a bright full frequency sound.
But best of all, it is musical.

TomTom XXL Classic 5" Sat Nav with Western Europe Maps (22 Countries) (discountinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fortunately I have an older XL model which I take ..., 8 Nov. 2014
As other reviewers have noted, tomtom have expanded the Europe map so it does not fit on this device ( no SD card slot) has to be split into 4 zones,which is really inconvenient. You also lose the favourites when you switch maps.
Fortunately I have an older XL model which I take with me when I travel abroad and hire a car, pre-loading the zones for Croatia, Spain, Germany or wherever.
The satnav still functions perfectly well, although the LM maps take about 2 years to update for new speed limits.

Alesis M1A520USB | Active Powered Studio Monitor Speakers (Pair)
Alesis M1A520USB | Active Powered Studio Monitor Speakers (Pair)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for home use with keyboard, 8 Nov. 2014
First things first. Q: not a 5 star rating? A:I have not tested the USB interface.
That said, it is a really good home alternative to a PA, and 2x Roland KC150s would be overkill !
Hooks up to my Roland VR-09 synth and handles anything you can throw at it with one minor exception, a resonance at very low F using the loudest organ settings, not helped by the speaker location. Not on stands.
Volume: the neighbours have not complained, but the family recommend recommend headphones :-0
The connecting cable between the speakers could do with being a little longer.
No problems yet with small fingers poking the exposed speaker cones.
Have not needed to use the bass boost button.

Would happily recommend these.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2015 8:14 PM GMT

Geordie Boy - The Anthology
Geordie Boy - The Anthology

4.0 out of 5 stars An Acceptable Anthology, 16 Nov. 2013
Transferred to pod and favourite singalongs are popular in the car.

The only downside is "Alan" is first in the alphabetical playlist.

Duragadget Windscreen Suction Mount for all Tomtom One GPS Satnavs - HOLDS UP TO 7 KG IN WEIGHT
Offered by DURAGADGET LIMITED

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good...one year after purchase, 8 Oct. 2013
Update November 2014
Still going strong.

Update Nov 2013
Still working well 6 weeks later in daily use. 5 stars.

October 8:
After 3 days I am thinking I should order another.
The adaptor plate fits both my classic XL and XXL - I use one in hire cars on business.
The long neck brings the device in easy reach for touchscreen operation.
Solid build and sticks well provided the windscreen is clean
Definitely an improvement on the original easyport.

TRIXES External Sound Card USB 6 Channel 5.1 Audio
TRIXES External Sound Card USB 6 Channel 5.1 Audio
Offered by Digiflex

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, but it may be samsung's fault., 3 Aug. 2013
I cannot get this to record through USB.
Easy setup and inputs ( line in and mic) and outputs (headphone) work, but my Samsung laptop picks up nothing on the USB connection, even though the device is recognised. Penny pinching on the samsung manufacture means the input mic connection is mic level only, not line in. So I am no further forward with the laptop, which is my main gripe. Win 7 64 bit with realtek audio.

High Grade - Phono Cable for Apple iPhone 3G / 3Gs / 4 / 4S - For All Apple iPod Touch / Nano / Classic / Mini Models - For All Apple iPad Models - Dock connector / Line Out to 2 RCA - 12 Month Warranty
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER

5.0 out of 5 stars iPod connected directly to hifi, 3 Aug. 2013
I bought this as an alternative to a DAC connector.
The lead is well made with a nice pinch-release to disconnect.
It works nicely and I no longer need to spend the 30 quid on the DAC
as I could compare the mp3/apple file to the original CD since the drop in quality of source files does not justify any major investment.

Panasonic SD-2501 WXC Automatic Breadmaker - White
Panasonic SD-2501 WXC Automatic Breadmaker - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Simples !, 9 Feb. 2013
We bought the machine after reading a lot of 5* reviews, and now bake two loaves a week.

Where to put it ?
The mains lead is very short and the machine needs a stable base, and around 4 inches of clearance away from units. The unit is too tall to fit under our kitchen units.
Solution: place a large wooden chopping block on top of the stove. Store unit when not in use.

Ease of use with bread mixes:
We mainly use bread mixes (so far) and run the 2 hour program:02 Rapid bake.
So far we have tested bread mixes white, brown and seeded from Lidl, Tesco etc. All usable. No fails. The mixes vary between 59p and 1.19 per 500g bag.
We use a full 500g mix which makes an 800g loaf, and occasionally forget to set the loaf size to L, rather than XL, with no noticeable difference in results: probably just an extra 5 minutes baking time. The texture is always even and consistent.

Convenience factor: high
We can now bake bread in 2 hours on a Sunday.
We just plan to be in the house to remove the bread as soon as the bake has ended.

Cleaning is really easy and the bread pops out smoothly, although the paddle does leave a small hole in the bottom of some loaves, as you'd expect.

Good intentions: sourdough.
We bought the 2501 model because of the rye-sourdough kneading paddle.
Plans have been temporarily put on hold as one discount supermarket is baking in store at a very attractive price.

Canon PowerShot SX130 IS Digital Camera (12.1 Megapixel, 12x Zoom, 3.0 inch LCD Screen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied 6 months after purchase, 31 July 2011
I bought my Canon SX130IS in January 2011 having previously owned a Canon G2 followed by two Lumix cameras. Some 3000 images later I can safely say it has lived up to expectations.
It is larger than the Lumix but slips comfortably into a jacket or trouser pocket.
In preference to a camera bag I bought a Berghaus pouch which also swallows up camera, mobile phone , wallet , batteries and keys.

The only disappointment initially was the jerky HD video quality.
This has been cured by buying the faster "Ultra" version of the 8mB Sandisk memory card.
The normal image save is also notably faster.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Kaspersky, 24 Jan. 2010
I bought Kaspersky as I had just purchased a new laptop which and the trial McAfee was expiring.
Subjectively the Kaspersky is less intrusive in use and works happily in the background.
My only concern is it sometimes flags up threat warnings where the quarantine procedure for some threats is manual.
Will be upgrading to Win7 shortly, which is one of the key reasons I bought the 2010 version.