Profile for J. Kemp > Reviews

Content by J. Kemp

J. Kemp (Ashford, Kent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Color Switch
Color Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Color Switch (App)
My daughter loved playing this game

Guess The Movie
Guess The Movie

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good game, 4 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Guess The Movie (App)
Quite tricky but amazing.

The Confession of Katherine Howard
The Confession of Katherine Howard
by Suzannah Dunn

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book and well worth a read, 28 Jun. 2011
For some reason, there is something that I don't like about Susanna Dunn's writing, which I just can't put my finger on. I think it's that she writes about these inspiring women, but not from their viewpoints and I spend most of the novel desperate to get inside their heads and out of these fictional characters. But, I'll give her that, it's a good spin and a twist on most fictional novels about the Tudor period which have sadly been done to death, almost.

However, I LOVED her presentation of Katherine Howard. Completely different from Phillipa Gregory's charming and silly sweet Katherine Howard, but no less of a character. She wrote her as a mature young woman, still too young to be queen, but far from the annoying Katherine Howard that haunts Emily Purdy's: - 'The Tudor Wife.'

So guys, it's well worth a read. If you've read what I've just written and what I've told you, you won't be disappointed. I promise.

Mary & Elizabeth
Mary & Elizabeth
by Emily Purdy

3.0 out of 5 stars An improvement. But not there yet., 25 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Mary & Elizabeth (Paperback)
To be fair, Purdy's novel is certainly better than her last. The use of her language is much improved and it seems to be more historically accurate and better well-researched than the last.

However, Purdy has this ability of making her characters really rather unliked. Mary, I just wanted to slap and there was something unlikeable about Elizabeth that I just couldn't quite put my finger on. One minute, she was this complete innocent who wanted no part in the rebellion, and the next minute she was deliberately seducing her brother-in-law.

Also, is Purdy's obsession with sex. And honey. While Jane Rochard watched Katherine Howard and Anne of Cleaves get it on with a pot of honey behind Katherine Howard's bed curtains, Kat Ashley watched Elizabeth and Thomas Seymour get it on quite regularly. Something which I doubt very much would ever really happen.

Mary's relationship with Phillip also echos Jane Rochford's sickening relationship with George Boleyn. You want to take her and shake her. Mary is also completely irrational and bunny jumps hops from one idea to the other. It makes it sound like Purdy has used this as a clever character device, but I don't think that she has.

Ultimately, if you're interested in the time period, give it a read if you want. But just don't expect too much. Once the author drops her obsession with sex and honey and instead works on her development of her characters, I'm sure that her books will be much improved.

Marie Kemp xx
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2011 5:42 PM BST

Handle with Care
Handle with Care
by Jodi Picoult

5.0 out of 5 stars Never before have I screamed with crying while reading a book..., 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Handle with Care (Paperback)
Of course you feel sorry for Willow. You'd have a heart of stone not to. She builds herself in your heart instantly and you really honestly care about her. When she slips and breaks a bone, you want to be there and hold her hand, to tell her that everything is going to be alright.

But what got me, what made me sob like I've never sobbed before at a piece of fictional literature, was the older sister Amelia. She hates herself for these confused feelings about Willow. How she is restrained by her sister and therefore resents her and then resents herself for resenting her and then resents her for making her feel all of these things. While Willow is always in your heart, your screaming internally to Charlotte: - 'What about Amelia?! You have another child!!'

Seriously, it's beautifully written, and well worth a read. Pay for it what you will, buy it and then finally read it and cry until you have no more tears in your life. I have to say, this is the first Jodi Piccoult book that I have ever read and I am highly impressed, which doesn't happy very often!! I also have just recently finished reading: - 'House Rules' today and that was also a magnificent read. I look forward to reading many, many more!!

House Rules
House Rules
by Jodi Picoult

5.0 out of 5 stars Maginificent, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: House Rules (Paperback)
Now, I'm going to be honest. Many of the reviews here refer to the predictability of the novel and I have to say I agree, it was predictable what would happen.
However, just because it was predictable to the reader, doesn't mean that they characters involved knew what was going to happen does it? We know almost immediately how Jess dies, but the book tells from Theo's perspective of the 'Do I? Don't I' Hamlet-style debate that he goes through. Of course, we the reader are always praying for him to be the better man.

This is a fantastic topic to write about. To learn about autism and aspergers is fascinating, particularly on a highly acurate first person account from Aspie Jacob. It is truly beautifully written and you have a heart of stone if you do not close the book, smiling blissfully, with tears running down your cheeks.

The Tudor Wife
The Tudor Wife
by Emily Purdy

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 24 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Tudor Wife (Paperback)
'This novel is entirely a work of fiction. The names characters and incidents portrayed in it are the work of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or localties are entirely coincidental.'

Well you can say that again.
Although I had read the reviews here on Amazon before purchasing, I decided to buy it for a pound in an airport shop just to see if it was as bad as they said.
Unfortunately it was.

The novel begins with a promising Prolouge and her description of Anne Boleyn is quite well written. But it all goes rather downhill from when she fleetingly meets George Boleyn and his name is 'engraved' on her heart. It is disappointing that such a 'passionate love' sprung from him showing her the way into a room.
From there onwards, Jane is depicted as a madly jealous wife, who hates Anne Boleyn for no apparent reason - the drunken fight on page 231 was rather amusing.
What also rather disturbed me, was the fact that Jane managed to worm her way into every sex scene. 'I did not hesitate. Pleading a sudden stomach upset, I scurried out and ran, with my skirts hitched up high above my knees, to Anne's bedchamber and leapt inside a cupboard with latticed doors I could peep through and have a direct view of the bed.' - I'm sorry, What?!

But it gets more disturbing. The arrival of sex-mad Katherine Howard. You could not feel any empathy for her as she was not written as a real character. Indeed, her own sex scenes were hilarious - I've never come across a Tudor novel where the lesbian Anne of Cleves smothers her in honey.

The Mistresses of Henry VIII
The Mistresses of Henry VIII
by Kelly Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 20 Jun. 2010
I have found it a struggle to get into some other Tudor Biographies because to be honest with you, the authors can be snobs and deliberately use difficult langauge to confuse you which makes it hard going and often unpleasent to read.

Kelly Hart is a wonderful writer, she is mature and easier to read and gets you involved into the story. Most men who write about Henry's women will never understand them because they are Men and so it was refreshing to hear from a young woman about young women of that time.

Definately worth a read and I do hope that she brings out more books!!

xx

Wicked: 1 (Wicked Years 1)
Wicked: 1 (Wicked Years 1)
by Gregory Maguire

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!!, 20 Jun. 2010
This book was Awful! And bizarre! After seeing and falling in love with the hit musical by the same name, I thought I would read the book.
Although I managed to get the end boy was it a struggle!! All the way through it it was linked to some kind of bizarre sex, Boq having sex with a Tiger, people watching a random puppet show about a husband having sex with a mother and daughter even Elphaba being a male!!
Seriously you could only like this book if you were high.
Please don't read.
Go and see the musical instead - you won't be disappointed by that xx

Alice Hartley's Happiness
Alice Hartley's Happiness
by Philippa Gregory

1.0 out of 5 stars So hard going I couldn't even get to the end, 20 Jun. 2010
As it says in the title, I couldn't even finish this book!
I usually adore Phillipa Gregory, reading any Tudor book that she brings out. But after reading Fallen Skies (also excellent) I felt that I would give some of her other non-Tudor books ago.
I am afraid to say that this one is horrendeous!
It was honestly one of the most bizarre books I had ever read(the first being Wicked). For about two - three years now I have been sitting down with it, desperately trying to get more than half way past the book but it is honestly impossible and tedious with it's bizarrness.

Please don't let this book put you off Phillipa Gregory, she is normally excellent - just this time I do believe that she was having a bad day, maybe even a headache.

Page: 1 | 2