Profile for Martin D Lawliet > Reviews

Content by Martin D Lawliet

Martin D Lawliet "Excryption" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Protective [Neo Hybrid] [Satin Silver] Slim Dual Layer Bumper Protection Cover for Nexus 5 - Satin Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Nexus 5 Case, 12 Mar. 2014
This case provides great protection for my Nexus 5 and manages to keep it relatively slim. It looks and feels great with excellent cut outs for the speaker, microphone, camera, flash, and headphone jack. The power and volume buttons work well, feels very tactile. Overall a good buy. Recommended.

Tech Traders iPhone 5 White Replacement Full Front Screen LCD and Digitizer & Set Of Tools Included
Offered by e-partz

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 12 Mar. 2014
Had a broken iPhone 5 display to replace and purchased one of these. Arrived on time and well packaged. Using a guide from iFixit I was able to replace the display in less than an hour. A quality display replacement, with all the tools you need. Recommended.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 12 Mar. 2014
In one word, amazing. I owned the ATH-M50 for roughly 6 months before these were released, I decided to sell my M50 and purchase these for the 1.2m straight cable. A great buying experience, arrived very quickly. I bought these for around £5 less than the M50 which is good.

The ATH-M50X feels softer than the M50. The ability to swap the cables is fantastic. The earcups are softer and have more padding. They feel quite a lot better than the M50. The cables also look and feel a little bit better than the one on the M50. The sound is just as incredible as the M50. If you don't own a pair of M50s then you should definitely go for this. ATH-M50X is a polished version of the M50. Highly recommended.

HTC One 32GB UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Silver (discontinued by manufacturer)
HTC One 32GB UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Silver (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by SIMPLUS

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Android phone, period., 26 April 2013
Previous phones (Nokia 6230i, Sony Erricson W910i, iPhone 3Gs, HTC HD 2, HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 5)

This is the best Android smartphone out there period. HTC really hit the nail on the head with this one. Before the HTC One, my favorite smartphone was the HTC Desire HD. I sold both my Galaxy Note II and iPhone 5 because they bore me quickly. I was in the market for a new mobile phone and had to choose between the Oppo Find 5, HTC One, Galaxy S4. I decided to go for the HTC One after watching every YouTube video, reading all the best reviews out there (AnandTech, CNET, TechnoBuffalo, AndroidAuthority, PhoneDog, TheVerge etc).

I ordered it online from the CarphoneWarehouse on Vofadone's 38 Red price plan. Which comes with unlimited minutes, text, 2GB internet + 1GB WiFi. I've been using it for close to 2 weeks now. First all I absolutely agree with all reviews that say the build quality is the best of any Android phone and even bests the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is beautiful but delicate. The bevelled edges scratch easily. This phone does not. It's beautiful with a rock solid structure.

I really love the curved design. The phone fits very well into my big hands (I can operate it with one hand fairly easily). The display is the best I've ever seen on any mobile device. With a resolution of 1080 x 1920 portrait and 1920 x 1080 landscape with a pixel density of 468 pixels per inch, it's the phone with the highest PPI right now. After 400 PPI or so you really can't see any pixels anymore so anything over 400 is just for bragging rights.

The color gamut, saturation, crispness of this phones display is top notch. After using the Note 2's over saturated display, I decided to never go back to a Super Amoled phone. The HTC One is worlds better than that. The BOOM sound is simply AMAZING! You won't hear sound this good on any other phone out there. It's loud, clear, crisp, with no distortions even at the highest volume setting.

When I read about the Ultrapixel, I was very glad that HTC had withdrawn from the megalpixel race to focus on what being a camera should really be about. With the larger pixels, more light is absorbed and I can say that it's the best camera I've used on any phone. No more "dark" pictures. If you are looking to blow up your mobile phone images, this is not the phone for you. Although it's amazing, you will see some noise when you start to zoom in.

Video recording is fantastic. HTC Zoe is a really cool feature that I use often. Taking pictures and video at the same time, a job well done to HTC. Sense 5 is the latest iteration of Sense skin from HTC and it's become my favorite so far. It's much lighter and faster than previous versions which were very heavy on resources. This one is sleek, light, fast. Just what a skin should be. I've read mixed opinions about Blinkfeed. Personally I don't mind it, I think it's useful. I use it to read technology related news all the time.

I wish this phone arrived with Android 4.2.2 but that should be released soon enough so not an issue. My HTC One is rooted, running Android Revolution HD. 32GB is more than enough for me to store my favorite songs and apps. I went for the Silver version after seeing how fingerprint prone the Black version was. I'm glad I did. Battery life is great. I get through the whole day with moderate to heavy use.

I always have brightness at 50%, mobile data or WiFi on, GPS on. When it gets to around 40%, I turn on Power Saver which underclocks the CPU to around 1GHz and turns down brightness to save power. I browse the web quite often, play games for about an hour total, check my Facebook, Email, listen to about 2 hours of music, take a couple of pictures. Overall I'm happy with battery life.

A few minor issues about this phone. For one thing when I'm playing resource intensive games like Modern Combat 4, it does tend to get a bit hot. Not warm, hot. Sometimes whilst in idle, it gets a little bit warm but that's to be expected from the aluminium body. I bought the Otterbox Commuter Glacier case and HTC Double Dip Hard case for my phone and decided to use the Otterbox after testing both for a few days.

It just protects the phone better. Although I will be switching cases from time to time. Overall, this IS the best Android smartphone out there. From the build quality, display, sound, camera, software, everything about this phone screams QUALITY! I look forward to HTC's next flagship device. Hopefully it will have an 8MP Ultrapixel camera to completely blow the competition out of the water.

Until then, this phone gets a really solid 9.5/10 from me. Highly, highly recommended.

WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid external hard drive for my laptop, 26 April 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE which I've fitted with a Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB solid state drive. It's an amazing laptop so I decided to buy an external hard drive to use with it. I came across many external hard drives but in the end, I decided to go for the WD Elements 1TB.

It arrived on time, well packaged with everything you need to get started. It's smaller than I expected, which for me is a good thing. Very sleek design. The cable is short but perfect for me since it sits next to my laptop. Once I plugged it in, my laptop recognised it and made it available for use.

I formatted it and partitioned into 4 drives which was a breeze. This hard drive makes use of the SATA 300 interface which gives a maximum throughput of 300MB/s. I decided to test it out by transferring a folder with large 1GB+ files. It took about 10 minutes to transfer from my SSD to this hard drive with speeds of about 60MB/s. I have seen top speeds ranging from 80 to 120 MB/s.

Overall it's a solid piece of hard drive with excellent speeds and durability. Recommended.

Anti Static 8ft Grounding Cable for Wrist Strap or Bench Mat
Anti Static 8ft Grounding Cable for Wrist Strap or Bench Mat
Offered by PC Valet Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ESD Cable, 26 April 2013
As an IT Technician I was in the market for a good quality, long, ESD cable to go with my ESD grounding plug. I'm happy to say that this is it. I looks to be very well made, extends quite far, works great with my ESD kit . Recommended.

Stanley 195611 Fatmax Tool Backpack
Stanley 195611 Fatmax Tool Backpack

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Backpack - IT Technician, 26 April 2013
I'm an IT Technician who was looking for a backpack to carry all my tools and laptop. I'm glad to say that I finally found it.
This bag is built rock solid, very study. From the zips, to large shoulder straps. After packing in my tools and laptop, it weighed quite a bit, but I was able to carry it around easily thanks to the large shoulder straps.

The bottom is very study, you can be sure that no water is going to get inside. It has enough slots/pockets for all my tools and still leaves room for more. My Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptop fits in easily. Overall a top quality backpack.

Highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ESD Plug - Just what I was looking for, 26 April 2013
I recently bought an ESD mat which had a socket for a grounding plug. This plug does what it says on the tin. Arrived on time, well packaged. Easy to use. Replaced a laptop display recently using this and it worked great.

Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2014 10:37 PM GMT

Puma Sprint Technical Coolmax Sneaker Sock 2 Pk - White/Grey, EU 043-046 (Old Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent pair of socks, 26 April 2013
I was looking for a nice pair of socks to go along with my new running shoes. I came across the Puma Sprint. It's just what I was looking for, short, cool looking and most importantly fits me.

I'm wear a shoe size of 11 so I was pleased when the size for these socks were 9-11 UK. Arrived on time. I thought they wouldn't fit me at first but after trying them on, they fit perfectly. Very comfortable to wear for long periods, highly recommended.

Overall a quality pair of socks. Will definitely be buying more.

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Elite Mechanical Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Elite Mechanical Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Mechanical Keyboard, 5 April 2013
I've been using a membrane keyboard for almost eight years now. It's what I'm used to. A few years back I read about mechanical keyboards and how they are so much better than membrane keyboards. Guaranteed to make you type faster, they also last much much longer. Over the eight years I've been through a few membrane keyboards.

I did a lot of research before purchasing this keyboard. I decided to go with Cherry MX Blue switches for the tactile feedback and the "clicky clacky" sound they make. I'd read that it was pretty loud but from using one myself, the noise level is acceptable. I've been using this Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Elite for about a month now.

It's a fantastic keyboard. Coming from a membrane, it takes a while to get used to the 50G force required to press the keys. I'm a touch typist so it didn't take long to get used to it. I love how the keys feel... very solid with great tactile feedback. The keyboard weighs 3.31lbs and it feels really well made.

A few days ago I tried to use my old Microsoft Sidewinder X4 membrane keyboard and I couldn't. Now I know why they say once you use a mechanical keyboard you can't go back to a membrane keyboard. I've gotten used to applying 50G force to the keys that it's near impossible to type on membrane which requires little to no force at all.

The Razer Synapse 2.0 software is also very nice. Setting macros is a breeze, you can also adjust the lighting of the keyboard. Each key is individually backlit which is excellent. I thought the green light would be an issue, but after a few days of using it, I got used to it. The keyboard stands feel very solid and durable. It has four rubber feet, also the two stands come with a rubbery tip for excellent grip so it won't move, nice touch Razer.

On my membrane keyboard, I hit a peak of 103 WPM (words per minute) and averaged in the 90's. After using this keyboard for a few hours, I was averaging 90+ WPM which is fantastic. Yes, a mechanical keyboard will definitely help you type faster.

In conclusion, this is a very well made keyboard with everything I could ask for. Cherry MX Blue switches, Blacklit, Mechanical keys, durable, solid, great tactile feedback. The wire is braided, very thick and will definitely last a very long time. You get 2 USB cables and 2 audio cables. I would definitely recommend this keyboard to anyone looking for a great mechanical keyboard.

Purchase was great, quick response from the seller about a question I had. Excellent packaging (huge box) so it was well protected. A quick note about N-Key Rollover. True N-Key Rollover can only be achieved with a PS2 (wired) keyboard from what I've read. But this keyboard does provide anti-ghosting which is great.

10/10