Profile for PureHeaven > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Foxes Unearthed: A Story of Love and Loathing in Modern Britain
Foxes Unearthed: A Story of Love and Loathing in Modern Britain
by Lucy Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, insightful and compassionate., 31 May 2016
Foxes Unearthed is a brilliant read; insightful, informative and thought provoking. The book covers the history of foxes in fiction, historic and current laws that relate to the killing of foxes, fox survival, hunting, hunt sabotage, the urban fox and media coverage which she states is often negative. Lucy has done her utmost to bring us a comprehensive account of the fox. She has done an immense amount of research and carried out many hours of interviews with organisations and members of the public to discover the different views people have of these beautiful, delightful creatures. Lucy spent time with different organisations in her quest to find out how foxes are treated by various members of society, she accompanied a pest control officer who had been asked to shoot a fox, has followed with a hunt as a foot follower and joined up with the hunt saboteurs for a day, depicting her experiences after each event in the book. Lucy is honest and does her best to depict and respect both sides of the argument. Lucy's Grandfather was a member of the hunt and she tries to understand his desire to chase the fox. I felt throughout the book that Lucy has compassion for the fox, so this is a must read for those like me, who adore foxes.

TASSIMO Costa Latte coffee 16 discs, 8 servings (Pack of 5, Total 80 discs/pods, 40 servings)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap artificial taste. Awful!, 3 Nov. 2015
I have cancelled my subscription after trying the "improved" Costa Lattes. The new product tastes cheap and artificial and is absolutely awful. This product has gone from being the best on the market to the worst. I always used to look forward to my mug of Costa Latte every morning but this has now changed as I cannot stand the taste of the new version. I wonder who they used to do the taste test!! Why change something that is so popular and many peoples perfect indulgent treat.

The Diet Trap Solution: Train Your Brain To Lose Weight And Keep It Off For Good
by Beck Phd, Judith S Beck

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., 26 July 2015
This book covers the psychological aspects of why we continue to eat too much, even when we are not hungry. There are many reasons including stress, emotional eating, social eating and being averse to mild feelings of hunger. Judith Beck teaches us to analyse our thoughts just before we put extra food into our mouth, to recognise the thoughts that sabotage our diet and understand how our body feels at the time and then suggests strategies to overcome them. This book has come just at the right time for me, as I have just lost one and a half stone on a healthy calorie controlled diet but was beginning to feel annoyed at the restrictions it placed on me. I now understand that I can have treats as long as they are moderate and incorporated into my plan. Many diet plans lack the in depth psychology of overeating and this book fills that gap. I am so enthusiastic about this book and I recommend everyone on a diet to read it. I now control food, instead of food controlling me.

Stalked: A dangerous predator. A life lived in fear. A terrifying true story.
Stalked: A dangerous predator. A life lived in fear. A terrifying true story.
by Alison Hewitt

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read., 5 Sept. 2014
I found this book gripping and could not put it down! I stayed up half the night reading it. I found it well written and easy to read and I could identify with Alison and her sense of helplessness when she tried to evict Al and he would not leave.

Alison describes how she met Al and how he slowly moved in by stealth and how he tried everything to persuade her to marry him. Her parents were concerned as they felt he had something to hide and so they hired a private detective. When Alison eventually discovered he wasn't the person she thought he was, she asked him to move out but he would not accept her rejection of him.

He tried in vain to win her back but when eventually he realised his attempts were futile, his hurt and anger turned to plotting revenge. I will not spoil the book for anyone choosing to read the story but this man resorted to some terrifying attempts to find Alison and her family. The evidence shows that his intentions were to kill them and without the police intervention and their brilliant investigation, Alison would probably not be here today to tell her tale.

This story is more poignant as it is a true story and the news stories relating to the crime Al committed and Alison's terrifying ordeal can be found on the internet.

Salad Love: How to Create a Lunchtime Salad, Every Weekday, in 20 Minutes or Less
by David Bez

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring., 19 Aug. 2014
I have tried several of the salads and have enjoyed them all. When I create my own salads now, I use the method used in this book; a base, vegetables, protein, topping and dressing. It works really well. Surprised there were no salads with pineapple or grapes.

Slowly Making Ripples
Slowly Making Ripples
by Dawn Faizey Webster

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad, inspiring and thought provoking., 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Slowly Making Ripples (Paperback)
Once I started reading Dawn's story I could not put the book down. It is very well written. Dawn describes the events leading up to her stroke and then her slow progress over the following years. I cannot begin to imagine how devastating it must have been for Dawn, watching other people care for her son, when she so badly wanted to do things for him herself. In the book, she explains how frustrated, angry and upset the situation made her feel. Dawn is unique in that she decided to study and write her book after she had her stroke, both of which were successful. She persevered as she could only do a small amount at a time but with the help she needed and her determination she succeeded. I would also like to read Simons story too, to see things from his view. Dawn said he never showed her the love she so badly craved after suffering her stroke. It takes a very special person with strength of character to show love and care selflessly for a loved one after such a debilitating health problem, unfortunately many people find it hard to cope. He did however stand by his son, many men would have disappeared without taking any responsibility at all. I have seen husbands in similar situations turn to alcohol which can have a devastating effect on the family. Dawn also talks about her experiences in hospital and the rehabilitation department. I think all staff who work in hospitals, caring for very dependant patients should read this book, as seeing things from Dawns perspective will help to highlight areas where improvements can be made.

Lurch 10306 Vegetable Spiralizer Green
Lurch 10306 Vegetable Spiralizer Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing purchase., 22 July 2014
Very disappointed with this. I found the spiralizer difficult to use and only large pieces of veg could be successfully spiralized. I tried to spiralize a carrot but even though the carrot was average sized it kept falling off and half of it was wasted. The problem I believe is the hollow cylindrical circle that pushes it's way through the middle of the veg or fruit as you wind the fruit/veg towards the blades. It is hard for veg to rotate around it and the middle piece of veg that is pushed through the hole is basically wasted unless you can find something imaginative to do with the long vegetable cylinders. A pointed design for the veg to rotate round would have been far superior and I believe a similar product by Lurch is designed with a point instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2014 1:12 PM BST

Sweet Poison
Sweet Poison
by David Gillespie

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life., 12 July 2014
This review is from: Sweet Poison (Paperback)
This book has changed my life. I bought this book with a gift voucher after seeing it displayed in a book shop. I thought I knew about healthy eating until I read this book. It explains about the dangers of eating fructose and how fructose makes us fat when added to food. The book describes the chemical composition of different types of sugar; sucrose, honey and agave nectar all contain fructose, agave nectar being the worst. Since reading the book and giving up all added fructose three months ago I have lost 10lb in weight without trying and my body feels much more comfortable. I feel human again and I am not exaggerating. I have tried different diets that have all failed and despaired that I would never lose my excess fat. I do eat one or two pieces of fruit each day. I recommend everyone read this book as you will view sugar differently after reading it and will find it easier to avoid eating it after discovering the harm it does to our bodies. I will not go into the physiological processes associated with eating fructose as the book describes them far better than I ever could. I have also read "I Quit Sugar" which recommends using Rice Syrup to sweeten food as it does not contain fructose.

George Foreman 18840 Two Portion Compact Grill - Black
George Foreman 18840 Two Portion Compact Grill - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic results., 30 Jun. 2014
I bought my George Foreman grill today; came straight home and cooked a sirloin steak in it for my husbands supper. He said it was the best steak he has ever eaten!!! Wow. I am so pleased I invested in this grill. I found it easy to clean with a wet cloth after use.

Crazy Jack Organic Squeezy Rice Syrup 330g (Pack of 6)
Crazy Jack Organic Squeezy Rice Syrup 330g (Pack of 6)
Offered by OrganicHotList

5.0 out of 5 stars Free from fructose., 18 Jun. 2014
I bought this as I am trying to reduce the amount of refined fructose in my diet (I recommend reading "Sweet Poison" and "I Quit Sugar". Rice Syrup contains glucose. The taste is sweet but in a delicate way. I love it and use a small amount in desserts and on my cereal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4