Profile for L Howles > Reviews

Content by L Howles

L Howles (Littleborough, Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Contigo Randolph Autoseal Travel Mug, 470 ml - Gunmetal/Red
Contigo Randolph Autoseal Travel Mug, 470 ml - Gunmetal/Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cup in itself, but it might not fit in your car., 4 Aug. 2014
I've purchased two of these - one for myself and one as a gift. The mug itself is actually really good. The opening system is very clever and means this thing basically won't leak. It also looks great, and keeps drinks hot for a very long time.

However, there are some downsides.

It may just be my car (2013 Corsa), but it won't fit in any of the cup holders, except the rear one between the front seats. It certainly won't fit in the front cup holders - as it's actually too tall to go under the dash, which is extremely disappointing.

Another issue I've found is that if you tilt it too much, because there are two openings (for left- and right-handed use), liquid will come out of both - which... isn't great.

I've ended up not using this so much, mostly because it won't fit, but I think this is a particular issue with my car because the person I gave one to hasn't had the same issue.

Overall, I'd recommend this for function and design (as long as you use it sensibly) - just be sure it will fit before you get one.

Natural Wood Rectangular Duck Board Bath Mat Set Bathroom Shower
Natural Wood Rectangular Duck Board Bath Mat Set Bathroom Shower
Offered by SCOTIE'S

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, but basic, 4 Aug. 2014
I got this duck board because I'm a little bit of a germaphobe, and I like the idea of a clean, easy-to-wipe duck board more than a bath mat that needs regular washing.

It feels relatively sturdy for the average person, but it doesn't feel particularly high quality - and indeed I stood on a corner oddly and one of the slats broke. It's also, obviously, not as comfortable under foot as a bath mat.

On the plus side, it doesn't become slippery or soaking wet from my experience.

Original Mississippi BBQ Sauce - Exclusive to TONGMASTER - 510g [Misc.]
Original Mississippi BBQ Sauce - Exclusive to TONGMASTER - 510g [Misc.]
Offered by Tongmaster Seasonings

5.0 out of 5 stars The best barbecue sauce., 3 Aug. 2014
This clearly isn't exclusive to TONGMASTER, since it's being sold by multiple vendors just on Amazon and is available elsewhere too, but nevertheless...

I'm a great lover of Barbecue sauce and usually try every one I can get my hands on.

This and Sweet Baby Ray are the best I've yet come across. Great, slightly spicy flavour.

I never noticed any issues with the consistency (unlike an HP one I'm currently using, which is disappointingly runny), like the previous reviewer, but I tend to put it on, or in, things. I even gave a bottle of this sauce to an American friend who lives over here now and she absolutely loved it.

If you're a fan of Barbecue sauce (and you should be!), I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mississippi Barbecue Sauce Original 1814 g (Pack of 3)
Mississippi Barbecue Sauce Original 1814 g (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 3 Aug. 2014

There are smaller bottles available, so unless you know you already love it, I'd definitely go for those - but if you're a fan of Barbecue sauce (and you should be!), I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Klean Kanteen Vacuum Insulated Tumbler Cup - Silver, 473 ml
Klean Kanteen Vacuum Insulated Tumbler Cup - Silver, 473 ml
Offered by UK Outdoor Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the same as a fully insulated travel mug, but beautiful nonetheless., 29 Mar. 2014
I take my own drink with me to work, having to regularly fill up a glass from a larger bottle. I decided I needed something a little better than a standard glass - and I like having my own things that only I use.

While this does work to keep things cooler for longer, it obviously isn't as good at insulating drinks as a travel mug is - the open top is a clear inlet for heat. Having said that, it's perfectly fine for something you're drinking now, rather than in three hours time.

As with all Klean Kanteen products, I have to mention its looks - it is a thing of beauty. It's ever so slightly matte to the touch, feels extremely solidly made, and is a dream to rinse out - no sharp edges for bacteria to build up in.

It feels like it's going to last for years and years, meaning it's easily worth the price - and the bonus over traditional glass or pottery is that it really does feel like it would survive a drop to the ground. I can imagine the worst case being a dent - which is infinitely better than sweeping up the pieces.

One thing I wasn't expecting is that the lip isn't perfectly curved - the inside is a gradual curve, but the very edge is almost a drop off. It isn't something you notice while drinking, though.

On a side note, it feels a little strange to hold - even though I figured it wouldn't be cold to the touch, it was still a little strange when it wasn't (both because it's aluminium, and because it contains cold liquid).

I'd recommend this for anyone even looking for a stylish tumbler - the fact that it also insulates your drinks is a bonus.

Linkee Trivia Game
Linkee Trivia Game
Offered by DoubleCee

4.0 out of 5 stars A really fun party game - but you will run out of questions, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Linkee Trivia Game (Game)
This is a really fun game - we played it all Christmas. It's great to try and guess the link, especially trying to get in before the other players.

The range of difficulty is quite striking - some are very easy, and some are extremely difficult or obscure. There's definitely an amount of 'have to know the answer', but it's still great fun. The tide can turn mid-game too - I remember being four ahead and then losing 6-4 to one of the other players!

It's a little boring for the question master, but you can swap between games.

The other issue is that once you've heard the link, they kind of stick in your mind - so if you play it a lot and run out of cards it's more of a memory game than a skill game. Hopefully they'll release question packs to remedy this (and I think they already plan to).

Definitely recommended - a very fun game for adults - especially at the upper player limits.

Monoprice Headphone Splitter with Separate Volume Control - White
Monoprice Headphone Splitter with Separate Volume Control - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for couples, 17 Mar. 2014
There aren't too many examples of a headphone splitter, and far fewer with individual volume controls, which sealed the deal for me.

At £2.50 it's difficult to beat - there are many more 'stylish' options at much higher prices, but this is really a utility product, not a fashion statement.

As to be expected from the price, the build quality isn't great - the cables are thin and the plastic feels a bit cheap, but they aren't major gripes.

We use it for train journeys between London and Manchester where we catch up on Podcasts, for which it couldn't be better.

Definitely recommended - especially for the volume controls.

Belkin F5L084CW FlipBlade Adjust for Tablet (Grey)
Belkin F5L084CW FlipBlade Adjust for Tablet (Grey)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great upgrade from the FlipStand, 17 Mar. 2014
My girlfriend and I bought a pair of these to upgrade from the FlipStand for a few reasons.

They're a little more expensive now than they were then, but even so as far as stands go they're very reasonably priced. As compared to the older FlipStand, they provide a lot more support - the dark grey back piece is coated in a rubber-like substance to hold your device in place and comes about three quarters of the way up the back of a landscape iPad Air.

The gap at the bottom is perfect for cables (in the case of an iPad, if it's portrait).

I've used this stand everywhere from a standard desk, to a bed, to a train journey. It's never rocked or fallen or lost hold of my device. I've used it at a few of the angles too, from watching TV to writing a document and I've had no trouble with stability.

There are only two minor downsides - it doesn't quite lock into the pre-set positions - so the base is a tiny bit wobbly when it's locked in. This isn't much of an issue but it's an oversight.

The other is the fact that the hinge is quite thick - so when folded one side is much larger than the other. It still fits in my iPad case, but only just.

Overall, a worthy stand that's solid on most surfaces and very reasonably priced. Definitely recommended.

12 Pairs Mens Thermal Socks / Size 6 - 11
12 Pairs Mens Thermal Socks / Size 6 - 11
Offered by School Wear United & Ayra® Mens Wear

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent compromise, 24 Nov. 2013
First things first - Heat Holders these are not.

While these are a lot thicker than normal socks, they're nowhere near as thick as Heat Holders.

As others have said, they are a little large - I have 12-13 feet and these fit me just fine.

I do have a couple of gripes:

- They're not very long, so don't come up quite as high as I'd like.
- They're very loose - they often slip down and always come off when taking outer layers of trousers off. They also wrinkle when trying to wear them with slippers.

I would probably prefer a few pairs of a more premium brand, but to be honest for slightly more than the cost of one pair of those, you get twelve here.

Lock & Lock Picnic Lunch Box Bento Set - HPL856DP, Purple (Large)
Lock & Lock Picnic Lunch Box Bento Set - HPL856DP, Purple (Large)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lock & Lock Bento Set, 24 Nov. 2013
I chose this set of boxes for lunch at work, as my old set of Ikea boxes was starting to fall apart.

It took a very long time to arrive, having been delivered from Korea, but I don't really have an issue with that.

I picked this one specifically for the size of the boxes. Usually Bento sets are very small and not really suitable for a full meal, but this looked ideal.

I take all of my day's food in this and almost everything fits in nicely. I've had: Beans, Cottage Cheese, a baking potato, an apple, banana, two ryvita, cream cheese, grapes and two Alpen bars - so it holds a lot!

The only thing I had trouble getting in was the apple, because it was a little too tall.

The lids seal very tightly, which is a bonus over simple Tupperware-style lids - in fact when washing them it can be a little difficult to get the lids off with wet hands.

A couple of things that aren't obvious from the photos or description:

- You can use the cool pack without the compartment insert inside - it comes with a shelf that sits on a lip in each box.
- The whole bag has an insulated lining, helping keep things warm or cold for longer.
- There's one divider, which is slightly shorter than the box itself - so if the things you put in there overflow it slightly, that's okay.
- There's a mesh pocket in the lid - ideal for cutlery. Mine don't fit inside the boxes themselves.

Overall, I'm really happy with this set. I could do with the boxes being slightly taller, but I guess you can't have everything. Everything fits very neatly inside the bag, which is very easy to carry, and it really does hold quite a lot of food.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8