Profile for colette brown > Reviews

Content by colette brown

colette brown (Strathaven, scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
dEaDINBURGH: Hunted (Din Eidyn Corpus Book 4)
dEaDINBURGH: Hunted (Din Eidyn Corpus Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant end to a crazy thrill ride!, 13 July 2016
What a wonderful conclusion to the dEaDINBURGH series!! It has it all: suspense,humour,gory bits,trauma and even a little bit of redemption. No one is safe. This book seems to go further in addressing nuances of personal relationships and emotions. Yet it never loses sight of the fact that it is a thriller with zombies, although the zombies take a bit of a back seat until nearer the end when they surge forth into new and terrifying places. the zombies provide the scary backdrop for old enemies to meet up and for old friends too.
Mark Wilson writes in such an easily accessible way. He isn't flowery or gives too much description of gore...he says what happens and lets your mind do its worst! I couldn't put it down and the end blew me away! As usual , the underlying political/social themes are in there but they are simply part of the narrative and not something you need to think on if you don't want.
I will read this whole series again and again: otherwise I would miss Bracha who is terrifying in his complexity and the city of Edinburgh itself which has a starring role.
Brillaint Mr Wilson. so what's next?

Three Secrets of Aging, The
Three Secrets of Aging, The
by John C. Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars A must fro anyone over 50!, 16 Jun. 2016
This book came at a time i really needed it. it inspired me to think of aging as an initiation into a new spiritual time and place. it helped me understand some of the feelings of needing more of less. it helped me offload the person i thought i had to be. This is amust read for anyone over age 50. i also believe it will greatly help anyone who has been afflicted with illness in their forties like ME , MS and other life changing illnesses.
Thank you to the author. I will read this time and time again.xx

Wake Up And Smell The Coffin
Wake Up And Smell The Coffin
by Mark Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Gutsy and intense, 11 Jun. 2016
There doesn't seem to be a genre that you can fit mark Wilson into. He is master of all.This is short book that, to be honest, took me a little while to get into. Yet, I know that Mark packs a punch and that the punch is worth waiting for.I found this book a little harder going than some of his others. it was worth the perseverance. Abuse, redemption,violence and disturbing thoughts all with different narratives.I feel he was testing out yet another different style of writing with this.As a reader it was intense. As a writer it gives me the boot up the backside to explore and adventure more with my own work. Thank you Mr Wilson

I Am Her Daughter: The Healing Path to a Woman's Power
I Am Her Daughter: The Healing Path to a Woman's Power

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning and honest, 2 May 2016
this book is simply a stunning look at our relationship with ourselves, our mothers, our Mother, our daughters, our inner child...and is honest and breath taking. The author has a way with words that make you feel she is your friend and your sister. This is not an easy read but well worth the time as the layers of our Mother Wound become healed. we all need to read this at least once .

Burnout to Brilliance: Strategies for Sustainable Success
Burnout to Brilliance: Strategies for Sustainable Success

5.0 out of 5 stars added years to my life!, 28 Feb. 2016
this book may well have added years to my life! I work to help people balance their lives and achieve their potentials. yet i wouldn't accept that i was not balancing my own life. my husband and family had raised concerns because my health has been deteriorating for a while. yet i couldn't switch off from 'busyness' and helping others to my own detriment. reading this book has shown me that i am indeed nearing 'burnout' and i have taken steps towards urgent self care. Thank you Ms Morris!

Eye of the Unicorn
Eye of the Unicorn

5.0 out of 5 stars great characters, 22 Feb. 2016
this is truly a wonderful story with interesting characters. it is well written and enjoyable. i was bored of Sci Fi but i really enjoyed this book. hopefully more to come.

The Woman Who Stole My Life
The Woman Who Stole My Life
by Marian Keyes

3.0 out of 5 stars not her usual standard. still good. just not great., 20 Nov. 2015
I adore Marian Keyes and have read everything she has written. this is the first of her books that i felt dragged and I wasn't invested in the characters. It felt like the author was tired and the end was kind of abrupt but not in a good way. The main characters weren't that believable. it is a shame as i was so looking froward to it. i know marian can do better and look froward to what comes next. I wish i could rate it higher: i really do but it just isn't her usual standard.

On The Seventh Day
On The Seventh Day
by mark Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars awe-some, disgusting and heretic-ally funny with a life affirming message. Satire at its best!, 6 Nov. 2015
This review is from: On The Seventh Day (Paperback)
In American Gods Neil Gaiman humanized the Gods wonderfully. In this book Mark Wilson humanizes God and the supernaturals terribly, awe-fully and disgustingly! And it is brilliant! It will not be everyone's cup of tea. In fact i struggled at first in connecting to a God who was part Mafioso and part Lanarkshire ned but it became easier to see the satire as the book progressed. i am happy i stayed with it.
there are likable characters including Jay and Mo and maybe even Nick. Generally its the humans I felt sorry for!
The book really works over the seven days that Jay has to save humanity. Its pace is good and the writing is funny and concise. It is a good story. It is also a fantastic satirical story.You can read it both ways.
There isn't really much more to be said or it would give away too much of the story. In its way it is quite life affirming which will be lost on those who read the first chapter,give up, make accusations of herecy and give a one star review. This will happen. It is too risky a novel for it not to cause outrage. Mr Wilson will need to grow a very thick skin. Yet, he should be proud of this book. It is one of a kind. Read it and weep...with laughter.

TRIXES Webcam with Microphone for XP Vista PC Laptop MSN Skype
TRIXES Webcam with Microphone for XP Vista PC Laptop MSN Skype
Offered by Digiflex

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't work, 23 Oct. 2015
worked for all of ten minutes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2015 9:35 AM GMT