Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for Deborah-K > Reviews

Eeyore Official 2017 Diary
by Danilo
Edition: Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, colourful, cuddly, 24 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Eeyore Official 2017 Diary (Diary)
I've been getting Pooh diaries since 2012, but this is my first which is exclusively Eeyore. To be honest, the reason for this is because Danilo have gotten lazy, and stopped printing a different picture for each month. Now, they just have the same page, same picture all year. Yes, it matters little, but isn't that utterly boring? I got Eeyore for some variety in my coming year. Good thing! It's very cute and colourful. I should have bought Eeyore last year. The pictures are adorable (if you care about that sort of thing, just check out the calendar, the pictures are the same), and each month has a different colour. There are a few full-page pictures of Eeyore, as well, which are very cute. OK, the details:

As you would expect, you can write personal information in the front, you can write important dates, and addresses. There is a section for notes in the back - all the usual stuff. Sufficient room for notes each week.

Here's hoping Danilo don't get lazy with Eeyore like they have with Pooh and Tigger. I might even email them about it. Yes, I care that much.

Bristol Novelty Womens 50S Rock N Roll Retro Grease Poodle Scarf Glasses Fancy Dress Costume Black Glasses
Offered by London Accessories Boutique

4.0 out of 5 stars Suitably vintage, large, 23 Oct. 2016
Look very vintage. I was a bit worried that it would arrive with a diamante missing, and thus cheapen the look, but all diamantes came intact. The glasses are very large, though. Are 50s glasses meant to be so large? According to Specsavers, I have a tiny head. I wear child's glasses. So maybe it's just me.

Buzz Bee Fabric Keyring
Buzz Bee Fabric Keyring
Offered by Bargains 4 Ever

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute little guy!, 23 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Buzz Bee Fabric Keyring
He is lovely. I bought him because my name means "bumblebee" or "honeybee." I named him Mr. Buzby and he's going to hang on my bag and come with me everywhere. These bees have different wing patterns and one is sent out randomly. I was happy that mine had yellow flowers on his wings and so it matched. But I wouldn't really have minded another pattern. He is a cute lil guy.

by Diane Chamberlain

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly addictive - Seasoned author Diane Chamberlain did not disappoint, 27 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Reflection (Paperback)
Having read three other books by Diane Chamberlain (The Midwife's Confession, The Bay at Midnight, and The Silent Sister), I thought £1.99 was a bargain for this captivating author. After discovering her, she quickly became one of my favourite authors, up there with the likes of Jodi Picoult and Dorothy Koomson, novelists who have mastered the art of creating suspense and engrossing the reader. I admire the way they can think up all manner of elaborate plot twists, most of which are unpredictable. The surprise you get when something is revealed in a story is the most exciting thing about these authors' books. It keeps you wanting more and more of their work.

In all honesty, I wasn't taken in by the first two or three chapters of Reflection. I thought, maybe I had found a book by Diane Chamberlain that actually didn't touch me. However, I persevered, and I absolutely loved the book the further into it I got. I would have really missed out if I had given up on it in the beginning. It's not boring, by any means. There are no flaws in the story, characters or description that would make me disinterested. It just didn't capture me. If you try this book, and find that it doesn't hold your interest in the first few pages, I really urge you to read on.

I was, in a word, addicted. I wanted more and more of this book. I wanted to sit for hours and continue reading. Now that I've finished it, I feel saddened at the loss. I wish there were more. I love my literature and need to always be reading something that captivates me, like nourishment for my mind. But it's not a light subject matter; it's not fluff, sunshine or rainbows. It's a very difficult topic, tragic and a tug on the heartstrings. As with (presumably) all of Diane Chamberlain's novels, there is a lot of drama, tension, suspense, and agonising waits before finding out what happened. I made one prediction while reading this novel, and I was half-right. But then I just kept getting smacked on the head with revelations. The lesson: Don't try to predict the plot. These are seasoned authors, and they will surprise you! I needed my fix of this book... I needed to know!

The characters are fascinating and likeable, multi-dimensional and very relatable. They come alive on the page, and as I was reading the author's notes at the end, I had the sense that the story had felt so real, that her recounting of the way she came up with the story seemed unbelievable. Which is, admittedly, a strange reaction to a book. It's not even the best book I've ever read - it's not my number one, two, or three - but I loved it and I'm glad I picked it up. Diane Chamberlain has a way of making her stories so vivid in your mind. Honestly, I wish movies were made out of all these novels, exactly as they are written.

Is there anything that could put readers off? Religion, perhaps. But it does not beat you over the head. Despite it being a huge deciding factor for one of the characters, it doesn't feel there is any emphasis to the subject of religion. It is just one character's struggle, a part of that character's identity. There is nothing potentially controversial about it, and I was actually pleasantly surprised to read a book that touches on faith in a way that doesn't strike fear or evoke strong emotion about the subject (like, for example, Jodi Picoult's Sing You Home, which can spark heated theological debate). I will admit that I struggle with religious beliefs; I feel a lot of confusion, exasperation and anxiety on the whole topic. But this book was smooth sailing. No ruffled feathers.

A great read, this will not be going to any charity shops. It will take up space on my bookshelf, as it deserves to.

Glory (Deluxe Version)
Glory (Deluxe Version)
Offered by FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars Britney Spears Gets Experimental - And it Works. Mature Album Not to be Overlooked, 26 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Glory (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
After Britney Jean, longtime fans were disappointed. Sure, Britney Jean was OK; it had some nice songs, Hold on Tight was moving, and the dance numbers were somewhat enjoyable. But a lot of fans felt it wasn't an amazing album. It also, unfortunately, had disappointing sales, perhaps partly due to lack of promotion, but also perhaps because the album wasn't very good. Now, Britney Spears offers us Glory. Is it glorious?

After hearing Make Me, Private Show, Clumsy, and Do You Wanna Come Over, I had a feeling this was going to be a smash. I loved these new songs and the new, experimental sound. It sounded like Britney had grown up. When Britney Jean was released, I didn't buy it for a long time. This time, instead of first listening to it on Spotify, I decided to preorder. I waited for the CD to arrive and promptly popped it into my stereo. It was the right thing to do; I was blown away! Britney Spears has matured! I sat there listening and was amazed - not to mention relieved. Glory is so different from any of her previous music. She is trying something new and it has absolutely (thankfully) worked. It has great commercial appeal, and needs to be heard by everyone, not just Britney fans. I honestly think a lot of people who do not consider themselves fans would be shocked by Glory. She is really shining this era - perhaps why the album art is so white! This has the potential to be an album of the year. The beats are incredible.

I haven't yet decided on my favourite tracks (honestly, I'm still recovering from this mind-blowing pop masterpiece - and no, it's not bias, listen to it!), but Do You Wanna Come Over is probably still my number one. I was impressed with Invitation and its maturity right from the start. What You Need is the most surprising: I imagine people will hear it and think, "this is Britney Spears?" Trust me, it's not the same-old Britney here. And, please, get the deluxe - those bonus tracks are as good as the others. Actually, one of the bonus tracks, If I'm Dancing, may be my second favourite (for now, at least). Oh yes, and there's one song that is sung entirely in french. Classy!

Please, don't take my word for it, don't disregard the reviews of longtime fans. Listen to it, honestly and with an open mind. I really think you'll be surprised. Glory deserves to be a top-selling, successful smash. If it's overlooked and underrated it will be a huge shame. You can tell that a lot of work went into this.

Glorious? Yes.

Sterling Silver Cubic Zirconia Angel Wing Cross Pendant Necklace With Box Chain 45 cm - s1p011N1
Offered by Arco Iris Jewelry

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful necklace... until a diamante comes out, 17 Aug. 2016
This necklace is stunning and was bought as a gift for my mum last Christmas. However, after only 8 months the middle diamante has come out. I expect this with base metal jewellery, but not sterling silver costing £20.

Looking for God in Harry Potter
Looking for God in Harry Potter
by John Granger

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, enlightening, entertaining - for Christians and English students, 4 July 2016
Before I begin, there is something I must confess: I'm not a Christian. I have a belief in God, I have faith that there is a Creator, or Designer, and I have a strong belief in fate and things which are "meant to be." I'm interested in theology, world religions - particularly Christianity - but cannot truthfully call myself a member of any religious community.

I have been an enormous fan of Harry Potter since I was 15 (I'm sorry to say I had never paid much attention before then). I'm now 26 and love it just as much as I did when I discovered it. Perhaps more; being older I can appreciate the themes, symbology and deeper, underlying message than I could back when I just read it for escapism.

This book combines three of my passions: Harry Potter, religion/theology, and the study of literature. Anyone who's a student of English Literature can appreciate this book, regardless of where you stand on religion. It covers literary alchemy, doppelgangers, the hidden meaning behind a character's name, and of course, the symbols of Christ that appear throughout these books, unnoticed. I was amazed just how much Christian imagery is (possibly) used in the series, and I feel like I have missed something very important, and very obvious. My love of the series has deepened after reading about these hidden elements, and I'm even more convinced that Harry Potter is indeed a literary masterpiece.

The prose is friendly (not preachy), and even humorous. I commend John Granger for his bravery in tackling this subject, as a self-confessed Conservative Christian. I hope more people read it, and I absolutely recommend it for anyone who's concerned about Harry Potter's compatibility with Christianity.

Moreover, this book sparked my dormant passion for studying literature, and I've now signed up for literature courses online. If that's not a sign of a good book, I don't know what is.

Meadow Gold Plated Guadian Angel Mobile Phone Charm
Meadow Gold Plated Guadian Angel Mobile Phone Charm

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful reminder, 28 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Meadow Guadian Angel (Jewellery)
As pretty as pictured, and proving quite durable. Has been hanging from my phone for nearly two months and is scratch-free and tarnish-free, gem still intact. A beautiful and constant reminder that angels are near.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Go, go, Gryffindor, 28 Jun. 2016
This is a good quality t shirt which should prove durable, and a perfect fit, not too tight or baggy. I bought 8/10 (normally being more of an 8) and it fits as I expected. Very comfortable. Recommended for Quidditch fans!

Britney Jean
Britney Jean
Offered by b68solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Godney?, 17 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Britney Jean (Audio CD)
Initially I was disappointed in this album (as we Britney fans always seem to hope for "In The Zone Part 2" or "Blackout Part 2"), but it has really grown on me. I still hold the opinion that it's her weakest album to date, but this CD should not just sit on the shelf and collect dust.

Firstly, this was marketed as her most personal album, which got us all very excited before its release. We were then dismayed to find that her "most personal album" contained the usual dance numbers, which are great, yes, but personal? No. These dance numbers are It Should Be Easy, Tik Tik Boom, Body Ache and Til It's Gone, and I resented them filling track space as I'm generally not into dance music like this, prefering "popney" or "urbanney" (forgive me for using these names). But I've grown to like them, with the exception of Til It's Gone, which I usually skip. I really feel like It Should Be Easy would have made a great single, or maybe Tik Tik Boom. If it had a real music video that got airtime on channels like The Box and Smash Hits, she would have had a hit.

Promo was poor for this album and I think that's the reason it bombed. But Britney and her management were focusing on the beginning of her Vegas residency, so album promo was half-hearted. It's a shame. I've never seen Perfume on one of the music channels, nor have I ever heard it on the radio. It seemed to go unnoticed and ignored, like a Hilary Duff song. Pity!

It's not all dance numbers - much of this album (if you buy the deluxe version) is pop, and, upon listening to the lyrics and reading people's interpretations of them, the songs may be more personal than I thought. I read an article stating that a lot of the songs may actually be about God. And I agree. My favourite song on the album by far is Hold On Tite (deluxe), and as I listened to it I felt as though it could be about God. I'm not alone in thinking that. It's a beautiful song, and completely underrated. Other songs which may be about faith are Alien, Passenger, Now That I've Found You, and Brightest Morning Star. But maybe not... it's all interpretation. They do not sound religious so don't be put off if this isn't your thing, they could simply be about relationships, or freedom, or confidence.

The songs I like: Hold On Tight, Passenger (would have made a great single!), Chillin' With You (yes, really), Body Ache, It Should Be Easy, Tik Tik Boom, Don't Cry, Brightest Morning Star, Now That I've Found You, Perfume and Alien.
The only songs I don't like: Work, and Til It's Gone.

So, a much better album than originally thought. Bring on the next album, Brit!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2016 7:41 PM GMT