Profile for Helge A. Gudmundsen > Reviews

Content by Helge A. Gudmu...

Helge A. Gudmundsen "husband. dad. geek." (Lisbon, Portugal)

COM Programming with Microsoft® .NET (Developer)
COM Programming with Microsoft® .NET (Developer)
by John Paul Mueller

4.0 out of 5 stars Saved my bacon, 17 July 2003
I'm tempted to give this book 5 stars, but refrain from it since I haven't read all of it. I needed to write a COM control using C++ to read serial data, parse it, and send events to MS Access. In the bookstore I ran to, there were no books on COM and ActiveX save this one, and I thought that with it's focus on .NET, it wouldn't fit my needs. However, browsing through it led me to believe that I could scrape the needed information from it.
Chapter 6 of this book covered COM programming using ATL and C++, and the book had enough meat to let me write the needed component quickly and efficiently. The authors don't spoonfeed you, but give just enough information to allow you to figure out what to do. The subject matter isn't easy, but things are explained clearly.
Browsing the net for information, and the .NET studio documentation for relevant articles I probably could have written the component eventually, but this book saved my a lot of work and a lot of headache. If the rest of the book lives up the the chapter I needed, this is a definite 5 star book.

Dead Air
Dead Air
by Iain Banks

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to form, 12 July 2003
This review is from: Dead Air (Paperback)
I have a strange relationship with the books of Iain Banks. Some of them I love, others I really dislike. "The Bridge" is one of my favorite books by any author, and "A song of stone" I couldn't even finish reading.
I was pleasantly surprised to read "Dead Air". I had seen some reviews being rather lukewarm to the book, but I found myself really liking it. The dialogue is as sharp as ever, and the plot twists nicely and keeps you guessing what's going to happen next.
If you like books like "The Bridge", "The Crow Road", "Complicity" and "Whit", my guess is you'll also like this one. I highly recommend it.

"Visual C++".NET: The Complete Reference
"Visual C++".NET: The Complete Reference
by Chris H. Pappas

2.0 out of 5 stars More is less, 19 Dec. 2002
I came to this book with a solid knowledge of C++ hoping to find a book that would explain the specifics of Windows programming. This book does not fit that bill.
This is an introduction to C++ programming using Visual C++. Actual Windows programming topics do not appear until chapter 20.
.NET topics are completely missing (unless you count the last chapter giving a toy example of web forms).
I have trouble understanding what several chapters on C# are doing in a book on C++, and an appendix detailing DOS interrupt services is irrelevant in this book (and not referred to in the text).
For my purposes this book was a failed investment. If you are looking for an introductory book to programming, this book might fit the bill, but it is not intended for experienced programmers.
If you know C++ and want to know more of Windows programming, Archer and Whitechapel is a better choice (Visual C++ .NET Bible, Wiley Publishing). For technical information on the Win32 platform I suppose Charles Petzold is still the most solid choice.