Profile for Jay  > Reviews

Content by Jay

Jay  "Jay " (Newcastle upon Tyne)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Manuka Doctor ApiClear Purifying Face Mask 40 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiClear Purifying Face Mask 40 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy cream mask, 31 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having already recently tried Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Rejuvenating Face Mask I was expecting this Manuka Doctor ApiClear Purifying Face Mask to be very similar, but to my surprise this purifying is actually very different. I'd have expected the purifying mask to be as light as the rejuvenating mask but this is actually very heavy, I actually had to double-check I was using the right product and not the night cream because it was a really heavy cream - thick to apply, and in the jar it looked just like a night cream rather than a mask too.

The mask is supposed to be left on for 15 minutes and it does dry a little during this time, although not uncomfortable when dry it felt a little tight and required a little effort to wash off. My skin doesn't respond well to heavier products, although there was no irritation it just left my skin feeling a little greasy, still toned and still feels well cleansed but not as nice to use as the Manuka Doctor rejuvenating mask.

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Hydrating Facial Cleanser 100 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Hydrating Facial Cleanser 100 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich effective cleanser, 28 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Hydrating Facial Cleanser is a refreshing cleanser that hydrates while it cleanses, as well as helps to reduce the appearance of wrinkles while removing makeup and impurities from the skin. Along with key ingredients from the hive (manuka honey, purified bee venom, royal jelly) it contains vitamin e, biosaccharide gum, green tea extract, allantoin, and various natural oils - the oils aren't to be feared, oils are not only moisturizing but help to breakdown oils on the skin to cleans without being harsh. The biosaccharide gum is particularly interesting as it provides a barrier to the skin to help protect from environmental damage and moisture loss, between this and the oils you have a slightly waxy texture to the cleanser which makes it feel more like a rich but lighter moisturiser than having the feel of a conventional cleanser.

There's the distinct feeling that you're applying some sort of balm rather than applying a cleanser, it's very rich and a slightly oily or waxy texture but it's still very easily cleaned off as it's completely water-soluble, I wash away with a moistened facial cloth and had no problems at all getting it all off in one go without having to rub at my skin. Upon removal skin feels cleansed but without feeling dry or tight, your skin feels lovely and soft. I've had no allergic reaction to any of the products from this range, used together me skin feels incredibly soft and toned.

Negatives of the product are that the top is screw on/off when I'd much rather have a flip-cap to make it easier when I'm in a rush to get washed, the other negative is the price - for moisturizers and serums I'm okay paying the price for the Manuka Doctor range but for a cleanser this is a little too pricey, I normally use oil cleansing which is very cheap so although I love this cleanser it's not something I'd switch to permanently.

Manuka Doctor ApiRefine Radiance Serum 30 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiRefine Radiance Serum 30 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Good serum, but lacking radiance, 28 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Manuka Doctor ApiRefine Radiance Serum is a light serum meant to moisturize and refine skin, radiance serums are the latest trend in facial skin care and include light defusing particles to help brighten the skin. In a standard pump bottle the serum is thicker than some other serums, I've also found that unlike more watery serums this one has the texture of a light cream and also seems to be more easily absorbed into the skin.

Applied after cleansing/toning and before moisturizing it's easy to apply, it being more easily absorbed means no having to wait for it to dry before applying moisturizer and although it's another step in facial skin care it's concentrated formula makes it worth the effort as skin does feel firmer and plumper after use. Like most Manuka Doctor products this serum has a pleasant natural scent and is kind to delicate skin, like other products it also delivers in helping improve skins over-all condition. Although this is a good serum it's lacking the 'radiance' factor which is disappointing, I've dull rather grey skin so was hoping this serum could help brighten my complexion a little bit but I noticed no difference.

Overall I'm happy with it as a serum, good results and no irritation of my sensitive skin, but didn't deliver on radiance.

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Repairing Skin Cream 50 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Repairing Skin Cream 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Nourishing facial cream, 27 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Repairing Skin Cream is a really wonderful texture, you expect something quite light from a day cream and from the appearance but as soon as you start to rub it in your notice a very rich feel - not heavy, still easy to apply, but it really feels like it's nourishing. It feels like if you were to cross a light silicone primer with a good quality facial moisturiser, it feels luxurious and leaves skin super soft.

I really dislike this sort of pump-action bottle as there's always some left behind at the end of the bottle and I don't think this particular product from Manuka Doctor is going to last very long as you do use a reasonable amount per application, this is a negative of this cream. Another negative is that it smells sort of chemically, not the nice natural scent that seems common among all the rest of the range, although despite the chemically smell there's no reason to fear any bad reactions as even with my delicate skin I had no problems with irritation with this product.

Despite some negatives I really love this product, my negatives are merely niggling complaints and don't trump the amazing nourishing sensation when applying this cream or the fact that it leaves skin feeling lovely - it's not a miracle product but it is a lovely quality and texture.

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Restoring Night Cream 50 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Restoring Night Cream 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for dry skin types., 27 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Restoring Night Cream is a very thick overnight cream rich in coco butter, thus making it far more suitable for dry skin types or for use in the harsher winter months, for me this was just too thick and left skin uncomfortably greasy. I still liked the product because it still left my skin feeling really nicely moisturised by the morning, in general I love Manuka doctor products because they do such a great job of keeping my skin feeling soft and firm while not causing any irritation, but I think I'd still prefer a lighter moisturiser for my skin type.

Being rich in coco butter it is a nice thick cream that feels good quality, it's a little more difficult to apply than their other moisturizers but has a similar lovely scent and a little goes a long way so it's fairly good value for money. This is definitely one for dryer skin types.

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Rejuvenating Face Mask 50 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Rejuvenating Face Mask 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Light skin-repairing mask, 25 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Manuka Doctor Apinourish Rejuvenating Bee Venom Face Mask is recommended for those looking to reverse signs of ageing or looking to help repair damaged skin - typically females aged 25-65 - it's free from parabens, sulfates, and phthalates, also although it contains bee venom it's safe fro all skin types. This face mask is deeply nourishing so helps restore moisture and softness, it contains bee venom, manuka honey, royal jelly, rosehip oil, blackcurrant oil, she butter, and cocoa butter. The Manuka Doctor brand is multi award winning and a beauty favourite.

The product is nicely packaged and arrives sealed, a chunky jar means little risk of damage in transit - the box is misleading as there is a platform so makes the product look bigger than it is, but it's still a 50g jar you're getting so it's not false advertisement. The instructions say to apply a thin amount of the mask and to leave for 30 minutes, if anything I think on my first application (see photo) I used a little more than was needed, as such a 50g jar is going to last a good few applications making it fairly good value even if a slightly more upper-end product.

The mask is a smooth thick cream - a little thicker than a standard moisturiser so luxurious feeling, but still very easy to spread evenly across your skin - the smell is lovely, hard to describe but very pleasant natural scent which makes the mask lovely to use. A few minutes after application there is a slight tingling sensation that comes from the bee venom, the sensation quickly passes and doesn't cause irritation, the sides of my eyes are very sensitive but this caused no problems with the sensitive skin in that area of my face. It's recommended to leave the mask on for 15-30 minutes, although you could leave on for longer, during that time the mask dries a little - it doesn't dry completely so no tight dry feeling like you'd get as a result of a mud mask drying, but it's dry enough that it's rubbery but still fairly easy to clean off with water and a facecloth.

After use skin felt noticeably different, plump with a lovely softness and slight glow, I'm definitely pleased with the results.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pulsin' Unflavoured Whey Concentrate Protein Powder 1kg | 82% Protein | Natural | Vegetarian

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality way to sneak in extra protein, 24 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pulsin' 1 kg Whey Concentrate Protein Powder is essentially sold to fortify other foods, the recommended amount is 1-2 10g scoops 1-3 times per day and being fairly flavorless it's easily added to a wide variety of foodstuffs or added to baked protein treats - for someone like me who grazes rather than eats main meals, and who freaks-out over the calorie to protein ratio of my protein shakes, this is a really good versatile product for me. Taste-wise if you were to sample a little of the dry powder it tastes just like powdered milk, once mixed in to whatever you're adding it to you barely notice it and it does blend very well too so you don't have to worry about lumps when added to liquids like smoothies or shakes.

The price may be reflective of the fact it's made with milk from grass-fed British cows, grass-fed is something you may feel is particularly important as supposedly animal products from grass-fed animals are healthier, this is also gluten free and contains no added sugars or sweeteners. In use it does seem to be a much better quality than some other brands I've tried, this is definitely a new favorite for me.

Nails Inc Trio Power Treatments Set
Nails Inc Trio Power Treatments Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the set and great results, but can't justify the price-tag., 23 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nails Inc is a good brand and as a fairly new user to their products I was excited to try this set, the results were great but for the price I'm still not sure I'd recommend over cheaper nail treatments on the market. The packing is attractive and professional so would make a nice gift for someone, no instructions but it's fairly self-explanatory and further information on the product is easy to find online if it's needed.

The Overnight Detox Mask is for use once or twice a week overnight, it's massaged into the nail with an applicator similar to what would be used with lip gloss, it dries within a few minutes without being noticeable and then can be left overnight before cleaning off the next morning. There's a little bit of a green tea scent but not too noticeable and there's no taste to it either. The mask contains green tea, acai berry, and spirulina which is supposed to all help detoxify, hydrate, and promote growth of the nail by penetrating the nail and soaking into the nail bed. I did notice an increase in nail growth while using this product, I've also been leaving it on under the nail polish so maybe it'll help a little more.

The Nailkale Superfood Base Coat is applied to the bare nail like a normal nail polish and helps to strengthen the nail as well as give a base to any nail color you apply afterwards, I'd be likely to use this on my own as it leaves nails with a nice subtle shine. This product contains kale extract which has high levels of vitamin k to stimulate keratin production when absorbed by the nails and helps maintain strength.

The Kensington Caviar Top Coat is applied on top of your nail polish and applied like nail polish, it leaves a shiny strong top coat to protect your manicure and it is also nice on its own like a clear nail polish too - it's a little more subtle than a clear polish, and with a slight pink color can help give a little color correction to nails too, but it would need to be used upon a base coat like the Superfood Base Coat first. The Kensington Caviar Top Coat is a best seller for Nails Inc, it's a really good product on it's own even if just for how super-fast it dries!

The set as a whole are really nice, I've seen an improvement in my nails for sure, but honestly it's still too pricey for my liking.

Bodybuilding Warehouse Pure iBCAA 4:1:1 Powder Red Berry 250 g
Bodybuilding Warehouse Pure iBCAA 4:1:1 Powder Red Berry 250 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor taste but good performance, 23 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Bodybuilding Warehouse Pure iBCAA 4:1:1 Powder smells like their strawberry protein powder, but it's still got a medicine-like battery acid taste if used straight-up in water - lots of reviews elsewhere praise the taste, for me the flavor is pointless and you may as well just tolerate flavorless powders. Instructions are 5g in 150ml water, fruit juice, your postworkout protein shake, or intra-workout shake per day. In water it doesn't mix fantastically, whether added first or last and even if mixed well it's still going to be powdery as well as leave a strange film, but when it's added to your protein powder you can't notice this powder in texture and the taste can be masked with likes of a strawberry shake.

Taste aside it does what it's meant to, I spent some time away from the gym and foolishly went straight into my old routine so DOMS were killing me, the Bodybuilding Warehouse Pure iBCAA Powder 4:1:1 helped me recover quicker than'd likely have done without it. In general this product is good quality and a reasonable price too, if they could magic away the vile taste all together I'd give it top ratings.

Sonic Chic Urban Toothbrush, Blue Maze
Sonic Chic Urban Toothbrush, Blue Maze

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective oral hygiene on the go, 19 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Originally I was skeptical when seeing these toothbrushes in the stores, given the price tag for what I thought was just a travel toothbrush, sure it was electric but manual toothbrushes do just fine when travelling or for work/gym. The more I thought about it the more it made sense and it's such a simple idea I'm not sure why it took someone so long to think of bringing this out - a travel-friendly electric toothbrush that doesn't require a charging dock or plug converters, that's also sort of trendy by being available in different designs: huzzah!

One aspect that put me off the Sonic Chic Urban Toothbrush at first was the price, manual toothbrushes maybe cost a few pounds but considering I'm replacing my manual travel toothbrushes after every trip cost-wise it's not too bad to spend twenty pounds on a better [electric] toothbrush that's not so disposable. The Sonic Chic Urban Toothbrush comes with a spare head, so this isn't a one-use disposable item but rather something that's going to last, although currently I can only find replacement heads for the Deluxe version of this product on Amazon I've checked and you can get replacement heads for this toothbrush (costing £5 for two). I think rather than comparing the cost of this product to manual travel toothbrushes it's better to compare the cost to electric toothbrushes and remember that this one is travel-friendly.

The Sonic Chic Urban Toothbrush comes with one AAA battery so it's good to go out the box and it has a cap with air-holes so it's protected from getting dirty on the go but won't get all gross due to moisture or heat - the cap stays on very neatly so even if just shoved in your sports bag it's not likely to come off. My only issue with this toothbrush is that it could be shorter, I like to be able to pop my travel toothbrushes in my liquids bag when flying just to keep everything all together, a shorter neck would make this toothbrush more travel-friendly for me.

This version of the Sonic Chic Toothbrush only has one setting, it's a simple on-off button - you do have to press down quite firmly to turn on and off - it doesn't take up much energy so although you are going to have to buy replacement AAA batteries it's not too bad. Whereas many electronic toothbrushes have variations in speed, pulse, and may have moving components to the head, this is just a normal toothbrush head with a one-speed vibration - it's not a lot of bells and whistles but does the job very well for what is essentially just a travel toothbrush.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20