Profile for matilda special, Belgium > Reviews

Content by matilda specia...

matilda special, Belgium

Page: 1 | 2
Facts are Subversive: Political Writing from a Decade without a Name
Facts are Subversive: Political Writing from a Decade without a Name
by Timothy Garton Ash

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and original mind, 9 Mar. 2011
Timothy Garton Ash is one of those rare birds that can give extraordinary satisfaction to readers. He is one of the few people who have thought about things that I haven't thought about and that are deeply interesting. I know this does not sound well, but it is true.

It is a rare pleasure to learn something totally new, and Garton Ash is just the man to help you do that. I am an inveterate reader--I do not have a TV--and to me it is a great pleasure to read a familiar thought worded in a strikingly new way. How much more pleasing then it is to find sparkling new thoughts wrapped in fitting phrases.

I especially liked his piece on how Britain is part of Europe and the other one on whether and how the West deserves its position of supremacy on the world stage.

This is the best I have read anywhere.

Timothy Garton Ash has just received an honorary degree from the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgiumand rightly so.

Memories
Memories
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Evergreens in song, 9 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Memories (Audio CD)
This is a smart selection of timeless classics sung competently by Barbara Dickson. Some of the numbers I have heard sing more beautifully elsewhere, but Dickson is a fine singer all round. Enjoy!

Sophisticated Lady/For The Night People
Sophisticated Lady/For The Night People

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant swoons, 9 Mar. 2011
This is a wonderful thing to have and hold. Julie London is fabulous as easy listening jazz singer. It makes me think of Robin McKelle. When the rain is lashing at your window and the wind is howling, this is just the thing to enjoy. Great cocooning stuff. Whenever you are in a reflective mood, Julie London will be your elegant companion.

Russian Divine Liturgy
Russian Divine Liturgy

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly music, 9 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Russian Divine Liturgy (Audio CD)
Russian Divine Liturgy is a gem that you should not pass up. I hesitated between buying a CD by the former Red Army Choir or this and I definitely think this is the better one. The same consummate artistry, the same gorgeous voices, but with an added dimension. I especially like the bas voices. Russia is the place to be for beautiful bas voices. Highly recommended.

Sings The Songs Of John Mccormack
Sings The Songs Of John Mccormack
Offered by Vocalion/Dutton Epoch Direct (Crazygreen8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just enough and never too much, 13 Jan. 2011
This was my first CD with music sung by Kenneth McKellar. I can only add to the chorus of praise that seems to follow him. His diction is impeccable, I can write down the text from hearing it sung without having to go to the internet. He is a master in communicating emotion but never over the top and in this he is far more modern than, say, José Carreras. Give me a lyrical tenor any day. Operatic tenors would have murdered many of the songs of McCormack, turning everything into melodrama. The music itself is rather melancholy but then that is OK. Highly recommended.

Melanie S, Belgium
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2011 5:15 AM GMT

The Lost Art Of Gratitude (Isabel Dalhousie Novels)
The Lost Art Of Gratitude (Isabel Dalhousie Novels)
by Alexander McCall Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Another gracious tale by Alexander McCall Smith, 1 Nov. 2010
This is another one of Mc Call Smith's parables of goodness. There is a lot of repetition in his novels, but since this is a philosophical tale it does not jar. This is a series in which not much actually happens, but the reflections are interesting and the overall message--be gentle, gracious and be grateful--is the same as in the No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, except that it is Scottish style instead of Botswana style.
I am always looking forward to reading these tales, not because I learn anything new from them, but because I find my own thoughts in them. It is the feeling of being home that keeps me reading.
Melanie S, Belgium

Via Crucis
Via Crucis

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for the soul in Lent, 1 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Via Crucis (Audio CD)
This is a meditative CD for early spring evenings, when the promise of spring is in the air but not quite yet. The old instruments put you in the mood for reflection. I found the style quite distinctive. It reminded me of something else but I couldn't tell what. The male voices of Barbara Furtuna are robust and plaintive at the same time. The Corsican four-man band sings with emotion about the suffering of Christ in Holy Week. It is simple but effective, no surplus of instruments. Quite a treat for who can appreciate it.

Introducing Robin McKelle
Introducing Robin McKelle
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy jazz easy listening, 1 Oct. 2010
Robin McKelle is one of my happy finds of 2010. This is classy music and precious like a pearl necklace, one pearl after another. I cannot say that I like this song better than that. I like all of them very much! There is nothing raw about this type of music, nothing out of tune. It is an elegant performance, a smokey voice but not overbearing.
Robin McKelle is often compared to Sarah Vaughan. I am not a specialist, but if that is the case, I am sure I will like Sarah Vaughan very much indeed. A robin told me.

Cuilidh
Cuilidh
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars A Scottish nightingale talking to the soul, 1 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Cuilidh (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful selection of Gaelic songs from this songbird from the Hebrides. Needless to say I do not understand Gaelic but this is music for the soul. If I listen to it often enough, I may learn to say the sounds myself.
The lady has not got a big voice but that is OK for a folky songbird. She has the crystal clear voice that fits this type of homespun music well.
This is a must-have for snug winter evenings.

The House of Wisdom: How the Arabs Transformed Western Civilization
The House of Wisdom: How the Arabs Transformed Western Civilization
by Jonathan Lyons

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for Europeans, 1 Oct. 2010
This book is a delight to read and full of startling information about the many contributions of the medieval Arab world to the intellectual life of Europe. Baghdad, Damascus and Cordoba were very active centres of learning and philosophy, where new knowledge was created and written down and old knowledge translated and passed on. Aristotle and other ancient Greek scholars came to Europe via Arab translations made in the Middle East. Muslim Spain translated them from Arabic into Latin and proto Castilian and provided the stuff of thought ad enquiry at the budding universities of Paris, Oxford and Bologna. Baghdad and Damascus also developed and made available some Chinese inventions and Hindu learning to the West. They laid the foundations of modern mathematics, geography, astrology and the scientific method long before the protestant humanists. The art of paper-making, fireworks, the astrolabe, irrigation and drinking water, keeping time are some of the contributions of the Arabs. Arab learning stimulated the rise of European universities and made the Renaissance possible. Cordoba passed on the great legacy of Greece and the Arab world to Europe.

Page: 1 | 2