Profile for Victoria Clare > Reviews

Content by Victoria Clare

Victoria Clare (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Wolf 5 in 1 1200w Super Heated Floor and Hand Held Steam Cleaner - Complete with 2 x Floor Cloths, 2 x Upholstery Cloths
Offered by UK Home Shopping - UKHS

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish they sold the straight nozzle separately, 30 Jun. 2014
Have had this over a year now, and in a household with multiple cats and dogs, it's had some pretty hard use. I'm delighted with it, it was cheap, is robust, easy to use and excellent at removing water-soluble gunk. It's not magic, but it is still remarkably effective. In particular, it's done well on a couple of manky stains on a cream carpet that I had given up hope of removing.

I do wish however that they sold the straight nozzle bit separately: I've dropped it on its nose twice and broken it, and I'd like to order another replacement, but the phone lines are very busy and I am having to keep ringing to try to get hold of someone to sell me one. :-(

PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate [Download]
PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate [Download]

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this item from Amazon, 16 Jun. 2014
The activation code issued by Amazon does not activate this download, and purchasing this item here does not allow you access to the Corel support system (for which you need a separate code from Corel: they will not talk to you without it.)

Amazon's support information on activation keys says 'contact the supplier' but you can't, because you don't have a Corel support code.

The format of the activation code issued by Amazon is not correct, according to the Corel support information.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 11:45 AM BST

Fire and Sword
Fire and Sword
by Louise Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny terrifying Scottish armies, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Fire and Sword (Paperback)
What struck me first, was how small and personal a setting this book has. It's a tiny, small-scale world, which none the less seems very real and scary - twelve men on horseback are an army, which really is a terrifying threat that destroys lives. And at the same time, communications are slow - really slow - so the same small land that can be menaced by a tiny, tiny army, is none the less days away from any authority that can help, even if they can be made to listen. Fire And Sword shows that very starkly and clearly - an excellent insight into a medieval world.

I was less won over by the love story aspect of the novel. The hero is an engaging personality, but I could not help finding his wife awfully annoying. I suppose many historical people *were* annoying - and one has to give her a certain amount of leeway, for growing up in a culture that considered young women essentially as trade counters and trapped them into marriage at a very young age. And yet... although her reasons for behaving as she did fitted with the background, I just couldn't like her, and didn't manage to bring myself to care deeply about whether her marriage would work out or not. I found myself focussing on the political machinations and the action, and less on the romance.

None the less, good readable and entertaining historical fiction, well worth a read, and deserves five stars because I did actually stay up considerably later than I should have done to find out what was going to happen next!

The Pogles
The Pogles
Dvd ~ Oliver Postgate
Offered by Northlands-Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Do not show this to your children, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Pogles (DVD)
I watched this in a group of adults. We all started watching very jolly, thinking, ho ho, let us see what this was that was too scary in 1965??

Some time later, we were all a lot quieter and a lot more respectful of those resilient 1960's kids who watched this and apparently toughed it out? It really is dark, with some disturbing echoes (the boot that kicks down the door with the family cowering within, the way the witch traps people in a cage, the way things get worse and worse over a series of episodes).

Oliver Postgate was right: this is too dark for kids. It's quite interesting viewing, full of angst and drama.

Flush Puppies Wallet including 60 Flushable Bags, Pack of 3
Flush Puppies Wallet including 60 Flushable Bags, Pack of 3
Offered by Pet Play Pads

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty nifty, 23 Aug. 2013
These bags are PVA, as described, and are plenty big enough for what my large lurcher produces.

The bags do not dissolve instantly, but they do dissolve. Try putting one in water and leave it for a bit and you can see the 'plastic' wrinkle and become thin, and eventually disintegrate. You don't want them to dissolve too fast or they would fall to bits from moisture in what you are picking up. I prefer this brand to another flushable brand I've tried, as the bags seem a little more robust and the pouch does a good job of keeping them dry but easy to get at.

They are more likely to cause a blockage if you wrap the poo up loosely and get air into the bag - if you wrap it closely, this isn't a problem. If there is an air bubble, it's not a complete disaster, you can still flush but sometimes you have to either prod it with a stick or leave it for a bit to dissolve, which is a bit unpleasant. Once you get the knack of not creating a bubble, this doesn't seem to happen.

I've been using these for my two dogs for over a year now with no plumbing problems. I wouldn't use them in a Saniflo loo, but they are OK for a normal one.

I find them particularly useful when travelling with dogs and you don't know where the nearest poo bins are and don't want to fill a hotel or holiday cottage bin with poo! I also use them for clearing the garden because no pile of poo going into landfill, and no pile of stinky bags to store.

Google Nexus 4 Low Profile Covert Branded PU Leather Wallet Case / Cover / Pouch / Holster - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits Nexus 4 well, excellent value, 3 May 2013
Opinions are divided on this item in my house. My husband thinks it makes my new Nexus 4 look like an old woman's purse. I think it makes my new Nexus 4 look slim, bright, attractive, and crucially, like something I am not too likely to damage, lose, or make accidental phonecalls or emails from. As he regularly accidentally phones me with his un-cased phone by somehow accidentally unlocking it and pressing re-dial while it is in his pocket, I'm inclined to think I'm in the right on this one.

I'm pleased I picked the red colour. It's cheerful and easy to spot even if most of the phone has got shuffled under a pile of paper.

The holes are in the right places and all ports and buttons are accessible. The stitching is neat and the item looks robust. It doesn't look like it is a top designer item that cost a huge amount, but I don't think it looks cheap and tacky either.

You can get 4-5 business cards into the credit card slots without making things bulge. This means that phone has got my ID with it and also that the chances of my actually having a card to hand when someone asks for it is greatly increased.

Kong Tails, Large
Kong Tails, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Lasted quite well really, 17 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Kong Tails, Large (Misc.)
Used this as a walking toy for my young lurcher, and it lasted about 6 months, which given that it had 28 kilos of dog hanging off it every day I thought was not bad going.

I don't think this item is suitable for unsupervised play by an enthusiastic chewer. If I'd left it with my dog he'd just have snipped all the fabric bits off- he did remove one of the 'tails' before I worked this out. But it is good for interactive play - tuggy and fetch.

My dog did not know how to fetch and wasn't very clear on how to play with toys as he is a rescue dog that hadn't been given toys before, but he was attracted, I think by the combination of rubbery and flappy and squeaky bits on this toy, which made it easier to get him playing with this than with various balls and frisbees.

He was scared of the squeak to begin with as it's quite loud, so I punctured it with scissors, which didn't stop it squeaking altogether but did reduce the volume a bit, and after a while he began to enjoy the squeak as well. It was very useful for making on-lead walks fun, and teaching him that he didn't have to run off to have fun during a walk.

After six months it was pretty manky and he's just managed to lose it - so time for a new one!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent comfortable lightweight walking boots, 17 Aug. 2012
Bought a pair of these from a local shop in summer 2009 - really liked them and wore them till they were coming to bits.

Comfortable, light and easy to walk in. They got a lot of hard use from me - daily walking in all weathers - and not as much maintenance as they probably would have liked, so although the leather began to crack after a couple of years and the sole began to come away from the upper, I have just bought another pair and am pleased to find they fit just as well as the old ones.

The local shop told me they were discontinued, so I was very pleased to find them here on Amazon. Well worth the money.

Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse
Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars precise and responsive, 6 Mar. 2012
Bought this mouse in November, really like it. Excellent for the money, precise, responsive, good shape. Sensible cable length, robust.

Tragically my dog has just eaten mine (bad dog!), so I've just ordered another.

Eagle's Honour (Red Fox middle fiction)
Eagle's Honour (Red Fox middle fiction)
by Rosemary Sutcliff

4.0 out of 5 stars Two short stories with a lot of charm make a worthwhile if thin book, 27 Nov. 2011
This is a short book with two stories in it, and if I'm honest, it only makes a book even then because the font is LARGE and there are a lot of pictures. The two stories are : A Circlet of Oak Leaves and Eagle's Egg - I think both have been published elsewhere. None the less, I'm pleased I bought it, they are two lovely bits of writing that should please people who enjoyed Sutcliff's more well known works such as Eagle of the Ninth.

I decided to get this particular edition because it was described as containing two second-century stories, same period as Eagle of the Ninth roughly, but this description was wrong : Eagle's Egg is very definitely first century: it tells the story of the defeat of Calgacus at the battle of Mons Graupius in 83AD.

Eagle's Egg
The narrator is a grandfather, telling his grandchildren the fireside tale of how he met their grandmother, Cordaella. Although it's a retelling of one of Tacitus's great historical moments, the subjugation of Caledonia, it's framed as a love story, and all the grand political and military stuff is just a backdrop to the story of Quintus and Cordaella, (which of course is much more important to Quintus).

Quintus is not a high ranking officer, or particularly well educated, and the voice has a slightly rough soldierly feeling to it. He is the the Eagle-bearer of the Ninth Legion, but that's not a command post - and he doesnt' have any of EO9 Marcus or even Frontier Wolf Alexios's ambitions - he's just a soldier trying to get through life and back to his girl, and when he finally achieves the promotion to Centurion that will allow him to marry her, it's not for conspicuous valor, it's for being well organised and making a joke that diffused tension in the ranks at the right moment. But as Cordaella says "... people who make bad jokes at the right moment are maybe much easier to be married to, than heroes".

A Circlet of Oak Leaves
I left this till second, because although it's bound first in my book, I'm not sure why, as chronologically, it is set later than Egg. There are Dacian auxiliaries in it, so it must be at least second century, though I'm not sure there is much other dating evidence. It seems to me much a more complex piece of writing, with more difficult emotions in it.

The hero is Aracos, a horse trader - and he has surely to be Sutcliff's loneliest hero, whose kindness and heroism is not known or appreciated by anyone.
Well, anyone apart from Felix. Felix is a soldier who, operating in dangerous conditions and under severe tension, has an attack of combat stress just before an important battle, leaving Aracos to... well read the book and find out!

It's quite a powerful and bitter story, but full of ideas. I particularly liked that right at the end, Aracos resolves to go back to the wineshop where he was humiliated and ignore any jibes: those don't matter because he knows the truth and so did Felix and they are the only two that matter. Shades of Alexios in Frontier Wolf, staring his troops in the eye as if he did not care a broken sandal strap...

My copy of Eagle's Honour is illustrated by Victor Ambrus - I'm not the hugest Ambrus fan myself, but I think anyone who was would be really disappointed with this particular 1981 edition: the matt black reproduction of the images has ironed out all the delicacy of his work and left it just looking really splotchy and flat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5