Profile for Reader Ruthie > Reviews

Content by Reader Ruthie

Reader Ruthie "Reader Ruthie" (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Hairy Bikers Blood, Sweat and Tyres: The Autobiography
The Hairy Bikers Blood, Sweat and Tyres: The Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars A great autobiography of 2 really great guys, 14 May 2017
I ordered a sample on my Kindle as I always do and was immediately hooked and ordered the book. I was not disappointed. It is fantastic story of how these 2 likeable guys who were from poor, hard working families succeeded and about their fantastic friendship and working relationship. It is written just as they talk on their television shows. I now want to see all the programmes I missed and have seen to witness their amazing experiences.

Prince Charles: 'The misunderstood Prince'
Prince Charles: 'The misunderstood Prince'

2.0 out of 5 stars Long and disappointing read about a great Prince, 23 April 2017
I really couldn't wait to read this book but for the most part wish I hadn't bothered. It is far too long as I feel that the author goes into too much detail in some aspects of his life which don't interest me - certain places, he visited, minor projects he got involved in etc. I am a huge Royalist and have always liked Charles but there was far too much of what is, in my opinion, mundane stuff. I appreciate that the author is American but why on earth did she convert all monetary issues to dollars? Charles receives GBP from the Duchy of Cornwall, not dollars! She also should know that Guy Fawkes Day is NOT a national holiday in the United Kingdom. I'll stick to authorised biographies in the future.

Driven
Driven

3.0 out of 5 stars More for car buffs than foodies, 15 April 2017
This review is from: Driven (Kindle Edition)
As a huge foodie and big fan of James Martin was really looking forward to reading this. Knowing he is also a car enthusiast, I knew cars would be highly featured. However, l was disappointed at how little his career as a chef was featured so didn't actually finish the book. I got fed up with reading in great detail about his cars and how much they cost him. Sorry, James! 😟

Food Whore: A Novel of Dining and Deceit
Food Whore: A Novel of Dining and Deceit

2.0 out of 5 stars Forget it, Foodies, 6 Mar. 2017
I agree with the reviewer The Wolf that it is not good reading and I too stuck with it until the end out of curiosity! I did speed read actually. Basically it is rubbish. Most annoying is that Michael Saltz was, throughout the book, referred to by his whole name. Why not jus "Michael"? I too disliked all the characters. Most of them were pointless anyway. I chose to read this as I am a foodie and thought I would enjoy reading about delicious food and cooking which I have in several foodie novels and non fiction. I didn't!

Aprons and Silver Spoons: The heartwarming memoirs of a 1930s scullery maid
Aprons and Silver Spoons: The heartwarming memoirs of a 1930s scullery maid

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read by a fun, inspirational hard working Norfolk lass, 18 Nov. 2016
Such a delightful book. Definitely heartwarming. Mollie was such a tomboy but caring, talented and lots of fun despite her tough life. She had all good clean fun. What a delightful person she must have been. I wish I could have met her. Cooking dinner parties at aged 96 years young! Wonderful.

The Ten (Food) Commandments
The Ten (Food) Commandments

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest and refreshing. Great for Foodies, 28 Sept. 2016
He is often criticised by people and I think feared by many but I like his bluntness and honesty. His views are refreshing and funny and his ideas for leftovers are great. His opinions on healthy eating are also interesting. Only a short book but lots packed in including some tasty recipes.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

5.0 out of 5 stars Well deserved best seller, 18 Aug. 2016
Wow! What an exciting unexpected read! I'm not normally into thrillers but as a long time best seller gave it a go. Wouldn't have guessed the ending. I wish it wasn't so long as I couldn't wait to find out the end but I didn't want to finish it as such an excellent story!

The Mermaid Chair
The Mermaid Chair

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 8 Aug. 2016
This review is from: The Mermaid Chair (Kindle Edition)
Having read the Secret Life of Bees and the Invention of Wings I was expecting to be just as delighted with this book by the same author. How wrong I was. I took a dislike to the main character because I felt she was an unsympathetic person who was irritated by her husband. She returned to her childhood home on an island after an horrific act was performed by her mother.She went to care for her mother on the island which was inhabited by Benedictine monks and befriended one in particular. ... Further disturbing incidents occured mostly relating to her mother which made it difficult reading for me who is quite squeamish. Very disappointing.

A soft padded mesh drawstring glasses case for spectacles & sunglasses (Black)
A soft padded mesh drawstring glasses case for spectacles & sunglasses (Black)
Offered by giftsbynet

1.0 out of 5 stars Went into the bin - rubbish, 9 Jun. 2016
Padded? Not. Drawstring not connected and no way I could connect it. Should have realised you get what you pay for so presume the seller has made some profit. I've learnt a lesson so I lost my payment. Not worth my effort to send back but feedback is important for prospective buyers.

Certified Refurbished Kindle, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi (White)- Includes Special Offers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 6 April 2016
Thrilled with this. My Kindle is 5 years old but not good in sunlight. Used my birthday vouchers. Can't wait to try it out in the sun but very optimistic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4