Profile for worldofshrimps > Reviews

worldofshrimps

Silverthorn (Box Set)
Silverthorn (Box Set)

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 2 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Silverthorn (Box Set) (Audio CD)
I have been a huge fan of Kamelot for a while now but I was quite disappointed with 'Poetry For The Poisoned'. When I heard that Roy Khan was leaving I was upset, but on hearing that Tommy Karevik from Seventh Wonder (another favourite band) was to be the lead vocalist, I pre-ordered this album as soon as I could.

It's incredible. When I first heard The Black Halo I didn't think that could be topped. Then I found Ghost Opera. Now this. Sancrimony (Angel of Afterlife) and Ashes To Ashes are easily my favourite songs but I have yet to skip a single track on this album.

Definitely worth the buy!

The Great Escape
The Great Escape

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, 24 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Great Escape (Audio CD)
I discovered this band just a couple of nights ago. As soon as I heard the first few words of 'Alley Cat' I knew that this band was incredible. Tommy Karevik's voice is stunning. I bought this album and Mercy Falls and I have not stopped listening to them since. His voice gives me chills. The music gives me chills. Every song just gives me chills.

There is not a song on this album that I disliked in any way and the 30 minute long title track is eerie and beautiful. I have shown Alley Cat to as many people as possible and everyone I know loves it.

Just buy it. You won't be disappointed in any way.

Evanescence
Evanescence

5.0 out of 5 stars They're Back!, 10 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say? Five years in the making and it's so worth it! I've already listened to the album about four times and there is not a single song I can skip; they're all amazing. The ballads aren't up to the standards of My Immortal and Lithium but I never expected them to be; those are incredibly difficult songs to top. The bonus tracks are beautiful, the heavy, up-tempo songs even manage to create an atmosphere that's chilling, especially through headphones. All in all, a phenomenal comeback with incredible re-play factor. Well done, Evanescence. I knew you wouldn't disappoint me!

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Xbox 360)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Xbox 360)
Offered by Atlantide Videogames

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 18 Sept. 2011
Having never played any of the Star Ocean games before and having picked this one up merely because it was cheap and pre-owned, I have to say this is one of the best RPGs for the 360 that I've played. Forgetting about the voice acting, everything else is amazing. The gameplay is always interesting and you never find yourself having to will yourself to get to the next part, the cutscenes are well done, with beautiful graphics, the fighting style is brilliant, much more fun than a turn-based system and then, finally, it's not a random-battle system so you fight if you want to fight.

On to the characters: Edge is a very strong protagonist (for the most part...some of disc 2 you just want to slap him) and his friend Reimi is really good as well. The way they react to one another and converse is very well done and the character development is done brilliantly. When you get Lymle in your party..well, let's just say she's easily my favourite character. She's just adorable and funny and really really awesome. Easily the best character in the game!

I don't really know what else to say in these reviews but I would definitely recommend playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope because, well, it's just wonderful in my opinion.

The Unforgiving
The Unforgiving

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtedly their best work, 6 April 2011
This review is from: The Unforgiving (Audio CD)
I've followed Within Temptation since I heard my friend's ringtone (which was 'Forsaken' from the Silent Force album)and I have to say I am more and more astounded with every album. Each has experimented with slightly different styles, Sharon's vocals improving and becoming more haunting as well as more melodic and, well, it has to be said that it was all leading up to The Unforgiving. The epic sound of this album and Sharon's strong and unwavering vocals, mixed with some incredibly clever dancerock tracks that are something to behold makes this album the best of their career.

Not a single song on this album disappoints (unless you haven't been enjoying the direction they've been going since Mother Earth). Even the introductory 36 second track with a monologue from Mother Maiden is incredibly creepy and atmospheric, leading into the wonderful Shot In The Dark. It's one of their more mainstream, commercial tracks but this doesn't take away any of the magic of the lyrics and Sharon's vocal power, coupled with the sheer magnitude of the score, makes this a phenomenal start to the album. About 3 minutes into the track you'll get chills.

The songs just keep getting better, with Faster being their most commercial song but what makes it brilliant is the intensity of Sharon's vocals, the emotion she puts into is just mindblowing, then Sinead being their danciest and most daring track yet is just wonderful.

After hearing Murder, you'll be anticipating the final two songs on the album and let me tell you they do not disappoint in a single way. A Demon's Fate has beautiful lyrics, and is more old-school Within Temptation with a twist on it, a heavier score and the catchiest hook on the album. Then, finally, the epicness that is Stairway To The Skies, possibly the second most awesome final track on any album (the first being 'Arise' on Flyleaf's Memento Mori album. And if you have the album on repeat (like I have for the past 2 hours or so) the loop is flawless, the monologue introduction fits perfectly with the end of the album and it's completely seamless.

All in all I am incredibly impressed (as if you couldn't tell) with this album and I think Within Temptation will be hard pushed to top this flawless album. Definitely worth every penny and more!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2011 2:18 PM BST

Gibberish
Gibberish
Offered by cdbear1

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Gibberish (Audio CD)
Hailing from the Scottish Borders, The Dull Fudds are a complete and utter breath of fresh air. The mix genres such as mainstream pop, jazz and rock to create and entirely original sound. Katie's voice is phenomenal and, believe me, it's even more incredible when you see her live! Jenny on the flute is amazing, Anna on the bass is brilliant and Knowles on the drums is just pure awesome.
The best thing about this band? Everything. Their lyrics are brilliant and daring, every song is catchy as hell (you'll be singing Gibberish for weeks), the mix of the instruments works really well and you won't be able to stop yourself dancing along.

Buy this, you will not be disappointed! They're like nothing you've ever heard before and you'll definitely want to hear it!!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Rec2 [DVD]
Rec2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Mellor
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sequel to Fear, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Rec2 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this a couple of days after watching the first Rec, a masterpiece, by the way, and began watching with the pre-conception that, as all sequels are, this one would be not a disappointment but wouldn't fit the shoes of the first.

I was wrong.

Picking up a few minutes after the first left of, and with a few minutes of set up, we get straight back into the action. The recording is justified, the use of more than one camera is cleverly done and the new zombie implications are skillfully put together. Suffice to say, this was fantastic. The acting is, once more, top notch, the characters are believable, their actions justified, and the ending was so good I sat watching with a big smile on my face.

And it has more than enough jumps to keep you satisfied.

Watch this, you won't be disappointed. Highly recommended! Cannot wait for Rec 3: Genesis, and Rec 4: Apocalypse (A prequel to the first). Hopefully this will be a series that will terrify audiences and have them laugh in disbelief for years to come.

Rec (Single Disc Edition) [DVD]
Rec (Single Disc Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Manuela Velasco
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 3 Oct. 2010
After watching Quarantine (and enjoying it - it's good if you watch it without having seen Rec)I absolutely HAD to see Rec and let me say it is easily one of the best horror films ever made. It is refreshing, clever, and the build up and scares are phenomenal. The acting is top notch: I could find very very few flaws with it and the script is amazing. They manage to go through the whole film and keep the dialogue to a minimum or make it very basic during the high intensity scenes so that you're not distracted. The ending is very tense and thought-provoking. I have watched it four or five times and it still manages to scare me!

Seriously, buy it, you won't be disappointed. I've just had to buy Rec 2 and with Rec 3 and a prequel to the first in the making, they will hopefully create a very intelligent and fresh series that will scare people for years!

Exquisite Corpse
Exquisite Corpse
by Poppy Z. Brite

5.0 out of 5 stars Confused..., 10 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Exquisite Corpse (Paperback)
Reading through these reviews, what I fail to understand is how people can condemn this book so much. The writing was incredible, to the point where you can see everything playing out in your head, you feel sympathy for every single character even though they are cannibalistic necrophiliacs. An amazingly detailed, gory, and ultimately seductive book that will leave you wanting more and probably feeling a bit sick to the stomach, even for those with strong stomachs like mine. Read this, and read it again. You won't be disappointed!!