Profile for B. Byron > Reviews

B. Byron "mekon" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Boy King
Boy King

4.0 out of 5 stars i believe the correct cliché is 'A return to form', 22 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Boy King (Audio CD)
I've finally accepted that Wild Beasts will never be the band I want them to be anymore. I really liked limbo panto, loved Two Dancers, each album since has got further away from the band I loved.
Now I've accepted the change, I found myself enjoying this one. It's far better than Present Tense. There are some great songs on the album.
It's very 'top heavy' in the way that the first half is better than the 2nd by a mile. It's a shame Tom doesn't sing more of the better songs as his voice sounds better than ever.

Yamaha P115 Digital Piano - White
Yamaha P115 Digital Piano - White

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 27 Dec. 2016
I bought this as a Christmas present for my son after lots of research. It was the best I could afford and got lots of great reviews so I assumed it would be good.
It's got good features but the important things - sound and feel - are pretty poor. The keys are clunky, noisy and far heavier than a real piano. Ok, it's a sampled sound so if you play one note it sounds like a piano, but start playing pieces with the sustain pedal and it sounds really fake. The bass octaves sound the worst.
My guess is that if you aren't used to playing or hearing an acoustic piano then you will have a higher opinion of if than we do. But I'm shocked by the number of good reviews.
After a horrible sinking feeling on Xmas day, we put it back in the box and arranged to return it to Amazon.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2017 10:39 PM GMT

Vax Power 2 Anniversary Edition Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax Power 2 Anniversary Edition Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner

2.0 out of 5 stars only for carpets, 5 Oct. 2014
I really don't like this cleaner. I've given up on it and ordered another model. This is why I hate it: it blows dust around hard floors so I need to use dustpan and brush after vacuuming. It is so loud I have to wear ear plugs. I've had to replace the belt 4 times in a year. It sucks, in a bad way. But...it works fine on carpets.

Present Tense
Present Tense

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I loved it, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Present Tense (Audio CD)
I totally loved the first 2 Wild Beasts albums, especially 2 Dancers. Smother was a bit tame but still good.
When I heard Wonderlust I had high hopes because it's a great song but the rest of the CD left me with a sinking feeling. It's a bit dull to be honest.

D'Addario EXL170-5 XL Nickel Wound Regular Light  (.045-.130) 5-String Electric Bass Guitar Strings
D'Addario EXL170-5 XL Nickel Wound Regular Light (.045-.130) 5-String Electric Bass Guitar Strings

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 out of 5 strings are good, 3 Oct. 2013

D'Addario EXL170 XL Nickel Wound Regular Light  (.045-.100) Electric Bass Guitar Strings
D'Addario EXL170 XL Nickel Wound Regular Light (.045-.100) Electric Bass Guitar Strings

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 out of 5 strings are good, 3 Oct. 2013
I tried these strings for a change. I generally like stainless steel strings but as these are advertised as being bright I though I'd give them a go. Strings 1-3 are moderately bright but strings 4-5 are very dull and it was hard to tell which notes I was actually playing. I took them straight off and went back to my usual strings and my bass came to life again.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 4 July 2012
I really wish I could be more positive but these pills did nothing. Maybe for some people they might have a placebo effect - they are big and taste horrible enough to make you feel like you've had a proper tablet. Sadly, for me, they had no effect at all.

Rockschool Drums - Grade 6 (2012-2018)
Rockschool Drums - Grade 6 (2012-2018)
by Various
Edition: Sheet music

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book., 4 July 2012
OK, the songs sound good and the production is good. There is also a lot more in these books and the guru's guide is better than the pitiful couple of sentences that the last edition of the book had.
I feel the songs are a little harder than the last syllabus which is good as the last grade 6 was about the same as grade 5 Trinity. Space future is the easier one and has a nice 6/8 groove. The sylabus as a whole is more 'Metal' than previous years.
Rockschool, however, is just a big money making scheme. The exams are expensive. They only update the books every 6 years and not 3 like more prestigious exam boards. Also, they ask which exam centre you would like to take your exam in and what dates you can't make but don't guarantee to avoid these. So, you could have to come back from holiday to take your exam in a city that you don't live near! If you wish to change the exam date you could find yourself paying up to £20 to reschedule. I am a teacher of piano, drums and guitar and if I've ever had to reschedule a ABRSM or Trinity Guildhall exam I've just emailed them and they've changed it free of charge within a couple of hours. Also, with trinity you know which week your exam will be in straight away -rockschool have exam periods that last several months which makes it really hard to get your pupils ready at the right time.

So, I recommend the books to play along to for a bit of fun but probably think twice about the exams themselves.

Rockschool Guitar - Grade 1 (2012-2018)
Rockschool Guitar - Grade 1 (2012-2018)
by Rockschool
Edition: Sheet music

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but I don't recommend Rockschool, 4 July 2012

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2016 9:24 PM BST

American Doll Posse
American Doll Posse

5.0 out of 5 stars How can you not like this?, 21 Sept. 2011
This review is from: American Doll Posse (Audio CD)
I've been a Tori fan since the first album. I loved everything up to Venus and Back and then I didn't (and still don't) enjoy the next few albums that much and I really don't like The Beekeeper. But I kept faithfully buying the CDs - then this came along and I was so happy, Tori was back!
So, why review it now and not when it came out? Well, it was in my car for a month or so and I listened to it loads back in 2007. Then, last week, looking for something I haven't played for a while I stuck it in my CD player. As almost every song started I was thinking - oh, I remember this one, this rocks - then another good one - and so on. There is some real rock attitude and some tender beauty too with enough spine-tingly moments.
Doesn't knock Choirgirl Hotel off my number one Tori spot but it's in my top 4.
I don't get people who don't like this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3