Profile for Ggy > Reviews

Ride Along
Ride Along
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, 18 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Ride Along (Amazon Video)
It's ok, but I had much higher expectations after all the hype in the media and the good reviews online. There are a few funny jokes, but overall it's not that funny and the plot isn't thrilling either. It's ok!

A Life Without Limits
A Life Without Limits
by Chrissie Wellington

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: A Life Without Limits (Paperback)
I didn't like this book, I found it quite depressing and annoying. I felt sorry for the main character by the end of it. She seems to go from one addiction to the other, her relationships with coaches are weird and it's so frustrating to read about her naivety about international development. I wish to emphasise that I'm making a reader to book/author critic, based on how the story is told, nothing personal here. A younger me might have enjoyed this better and I'm sure many people will find it inspirational, it just wasn't my cup of tea!

The Cool Impossible: The coach from Born to Run shows how to get the most from your miles - and from yourself

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 25 Oct. 2013
I bought the book because I'd read about the author. I think it's ok. I found some bits interesting, but the tone was sometimes a bit of an issue for me. The title for one thing, and this concept of "cool impossible", rings a bit too much like a sales pitch from an ad agency. Overall it's a good exercise book, and I enjoyed the context and descriptions of the trails and runs.

The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity
The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 25 Oct. 2013
This book is really made of two parts. 30% is interesting content that artists like me have found rather interesting. However in order to get to that 30%, you have to make you way through 70% of religious propaganda. I bought this book based on its title, and I was quite shocked about the never-ending references to god and other religious quotes. I've tried to make my way through the book by skipping those sections that cover "God's wish for me" and only focus on the actual content, but it's an incredibly frustrating experience.

I think even religious people would probably get annoyed with the condescending religious tone, especially European folks.

Ronhill Classic Beanie - Black, One Size
Ronhill Classic Beanie - Black, One Size

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but a little small, 25 Oct. 2013
This is a good quality hat, perfect for running. However it's a one size fits all and I find it a little too small and I don't have a particularly big head. I can cover my ears when I force it on, but it pops up when I move around. Perhaps that will sort itself out with time, but so far it's an issue.

Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run: My Triathlon Journey from Common Man to Ironman
by Andy Holgate

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 31 Mar. 2013
I was hoping this book would be a quirky and inspiring introduction to the world of triathlon, and it just wasn't that. It's the story of a bloke who decides to sign up to an IronMan race after completing his first local triathlon. Why? Not because he loves cycling (he doesn't own a bike), not because he loves swimming (he can barely swim to the other end of the pool), or even because he loves running (he has a bad knee and doesn't actually practice that sport before the IronMan). I'm guessing that his motivation lies in the sense of pride he expects to get upon completing such a demanding race, which is fair enough but doesn't make for a great read. The chapter about the actual race is entitled "been there, done it, got the t-s***" and it really sums up both the tone of the book (i.e. cliché humour) and the underlying sense of shallowness.

A big section of the book isn't actually about "the journey from common man to iron man". A third of it is just a compilation of anecdotes and post Iron Man race reports, and there's a chapter about the author's wedding. As mentioned by other people, the writing style is frustrating. There are many clichés (it starts in the intro "first mistake, second mistake etc" and continues throughout), the same annoying jokes keep popping up ("men wearing rubber", "it was raining so much that the swim was the driest section of the triathlon") and the lad-ish tone that is used throughout just wasn't for me.

To sum up: the author's done well with the training and the racing, but I won't be recommending the book.