Profile for Daniel Thorlby > Reviews

Content by Daniel Thorlby

Daniel Thorlby (North Yorkshire, England)

Beyerdynamic DT100 Studio Headset - 400 OHM - Black
Beyerdynamic DT100 Studio Headset - 400 OHM - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars They CHANGED them from good to bad, 11 Feb. 2015
No. I previously gave this headset a good review. But... they've CHANGED it. Its no longer crystal clear, and no longer has any bass. I thought there was something odd about it getting bad reviews when I thought it was fantastic when I used to own it, years ago. Got a new pair and it was aweful. It wasn't just psychological. I did some tests. I had a song that used to sound really bad on my old pair because the 'p' sound was so boomy from being too close to the microphone. On the new pair, all the boom was gone. So it was definately the headphones. These headphones USED to be the best for monitoring. Now... avoid. They used to be crystal clear, because they emphasized quiet sounds, making monitoring easy. They no longer do that. So the point of these headphones is gone. You can't hear the bass and you can't hear quiet sounds. So why monitor with them? You wouldn't want to use them for normal listening because they're horrible. And you wouldn't want to use them for mixing because the balance is wrong.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2015 8:13 PM BST

Planet Earth: The Complete Series  [HD DVD]
Planet Earth: The Complete Series [HD DVD]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars The best documentary ever made - and here's why., 28 Dec. 2014
Probably the best documentary ever made.

During the first episode, I was doubtful about the content. The topic shifted every few seconds, never focusing on one animal long enough to say anything of any educational value. However, after a few episodes, it all became clear. This series has a massive scope. As the name suggests, its a documentary about the entire planet. As the series goes on, it returns to topics briefly introduced in previous episodes. Its nice to revisit what we only got to glimpse previously. The series ends with two full length documentaries on only one animal each - specifically desert lions, and specifically snow leopards. Well chosen, as those were the animals that intrigued us most on their five minute slots in previous episodes. All the information from the series becomes relevant and involving. This series is a structural and educational marvel.

The photography is the other aspect of this that makes it the best ever made. Its so well done you could cry. I'm glad I bought the HD-DVD version, as it just leaves your jaw hanging in disbelief. This series was made for HD-DVD, (although its out on Blu-Ray too nowadays.) The image is the clearest and most detailed I've ever seen, and what better way to showcase its HD credentials than with massive panoramas of the planet, flocks of birds a billion strong, closeups of birds of paradise revealing every feather, mountain ranges where you can actually sense the enormity scale, etc. Its like being there. If you ever get the chance to see it on HD-DVD, ho wow, you just have to do it.

Probably the only nature documentary which would've pulled crowds in at cinemas just like Hollywood blockbusters. It was so highly rated for a reason.

Beyerdynamic DT250 Headset - 250 OHM
Beyerdynamic DT250 Headset - 250 OHM

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'safe' headphone. A beautiful sounding all rounder., 18 Dec. 2014
An excellent pair of headphones. The strong point of these headphones is they sound good. They lack the clarity of the higher end headphones, they lack the low bass of higher end headphones too. And they lack soundstage. But... I still have to give them 5 stars. Because despite their technical shortcomings, they have a wonderful tone to them. They are a 'safe' pair of headphones. Because they don't emphasize treble to the nth degree like higher end headphones, you are safe from scratchy 's' noises and the din of cymbals. And you're safe from Beats effect. The lack of soundsatge prevents it from sounding distant and 'thin.' Essentially, the things it does't do very well are actually its strong points. It does everything well enough to be passable, and the result gives you a pleasant, up front, easy to handle and enjoy listening experience. You end up involved in the music, rather than critiquing the equipment you're using to listen on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2016 10:44 AM BST

Marantz CD6005 CD Player - Black
Marantz CD6005 CD Player - Black
Offered by Peter Tyson Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit. I tried it directly with headphones and ..., 16 Oct. 2014
Great unit. I tried it directly with headphones and it sounded fantastic. I also have a Head Box S mkIII headphone amp which connects to the RCA outputs, so I tried it that way too. I wanted to see what the difference would be, so I could comment on the sound. I've also used the same headphone amp with an Onkyo MD-133. After lots of A-B-C comparisons, isolating which component was causing what sound differences, I arrived at some objective conclusions about the CD6005. The CD6005 has fantastic sound. However, it has a SLIGHT 'hump' in the high bass. The hump is muddy. This drowns out some of the midrange detail in the music. However, the sound is very pleasant and passable. Treble is very present, but NOT fatiguing or sibilant in any way. When I consider that the Head Box S is JUST a headphone amp, and costs £100, the CD6005 can be considered exceptional value for money. It does not put out the purest sound around, but for £279, the value is EXCEPTIONAL. If the CD6005 cost £1000, you could expect its analogue outputs to be the same quality as a Head Box or an MD-133. However, at £279, it performs better than expected. I would say this sounds like a £700 or £800 CD player. If you want exceptional quality on a budget, buy this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2015 5:04 PM GMT

Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO Headset - 250 OHM
Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO Headset - 250 OHM

3.0 out of 5 stars Too sibilant, 1 Oct. 2014
These cans are good, but not to my tastes. I was using them with an MD-133 Hi-MD deck. The treble was too loud and sibilant so I sent them back. I was listening to music compressed to 352kbps ATRAC. I know, I know. Compression reduces quality. The old MD system used to compress to 256, but the new algorithm is both updated and higher bitrate. I would've expected some sibilance, but not this much. So I sent them back. High quality headphones exaggerate problems with the source, so I thought to myself, 'OK, its sibilant, but why are the trebles so loud as well then?' The treble wasn't just poor quality, it was also too loud. So I don't think the problem was the MD-133. These headphones may sound 'clear' and 'crisp' to some people... to others, sibilant. They are 250 ohm so I don't think it was a damping problem either. My output was 30 ohms. So almost precisely in line with the 1/8 rule. These headphones just emphasize treble way too much. Also, I've owned DT-100s before. The DT-100 did not sound sibilant, even with minidisc portables. And the DT-100 had more detail. The DT-100 is industry standard for a reason. Avoid the non-standard DT-880s unless you're a treble junky. Some people will rate the DT-880 5/5 I'm sure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2015 9:30 PM GMT

Charm School
Charm School
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Roxette of old, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Charm School (Audio CD)
This album is amazing.

Its much better than the last couple of albums. The songs are addictive, fun, and powerful. And most of the songs wouldn't sound out of place on the 'Crash Boom Bang' album. The tone and production is very similar. For example, 'Speak To Me' has the same feel as 'I'm Sorry.'

And boy is it a good thing! Its like a band that had started to decline has suddenly and perfectly recaptured the original mood that everyone was in when they originally started to adore them! Practically no other band has ever achieved this.

Some of the songs have an 'updated' sound though, but are still cohesive with the 'traditional' tracks. 'Black Caddillac' is disturbingly '2011.' It has the same sound as those boring 'boom boom boom boom etc etc' tracks that get played in nightclubs... except once I'd forgiven them for it and listened a few times, I actually realized how catchy it was, and how great the lyrics were around the repetition of 'black cadillac.' I forgave them, and now its one of my favourites!

The other updated sounding song is 'Shes Got Nothing On.' Wow what a track. The thing that really does it for me on this one is the complete professionalism of the harmony where both Per and Marie layer their vocals a few times on top of each other, creating a soaring that sends shivers don't my spine. It sounds so dramatic, not forced at all!

The only complaint would be the last two tracks. Uninspired and boring, lyrically and musically. Even so we're left with 10 amazing tracks that alone earn this album 5 stars :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2011 1:11 PM BST

Bloodflowers (CD)
Bloodflowers (CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Only one track on this album!, 14 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Bloodflowers (CD) (Audio CD)
The problem with this album is that it's only one track, divided into 9 sections. Being serious now, all the songs do sound the same, making the album so boring. Its like the Cure have run out of ideas at long last. The album hasn't grown on me. I've tried and tried to let it grow on me by listening to it repeatedly, but I still can't tell the difference between the songs withough listening for quite a while. The only reason I have given this album two stars is that the title trak 'Bloodflowers' earns them for it. The track is a true masterpiece, absolutely incredible in its serenity. I'ts that the rest of the album just sounds like a mediocre version of the title track.