Profile for C. Gordon > Reviews

Content by C. Gordon

C. Gordon "Doctor Death"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (PS2)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend (PS2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but far too short, 3 Sept. 2006
When this was game was released, I held back from buying it. After the disappointment of 'Angel of darkness', I really wasn't expecting too much. The last game was okay, but had none of the atmosphere of the original (TR 1&2) games. The control system was none too great either.

However, the urge to buy it finally overcame me, and after getting it at a bargain price, I unwrapped it and eagerly placed in in the PS2.

I really wish I'd bought it on its release. It's great. The controls take a while to get used to, but once you get to grips with them are very, very good. The levels are large, and give a flavour of the original games' splendour, without the use of the cubes and blocks that made up those enviroments. The tomb/temple levels are as ever, far more fun than the city/military base levels, though that's more a personal thing than a criticism- I like the feeling of exploration a whole lot more when I'm avoiding spike traps and leaping over fire pits. For me, running around in buildings is a whole lot less fun...

The set pieces are fantastic, though the need to press buttons at the right time in a seemingly ordinary cut scene can catch you out if your attention isn't 100% (it did me, anyway...).

However, as so many people have said: The game is far too short. FAR too short. I completed the main story of the game in two days- a lost weekend if you will, and I'm no gameplaying genius. Of course, the fact that I spent two days doing little except play the game (stopping only for two trips to the pub on Saturday and Sunday evening)speaks volumes for its playability. Twice as many levels would have been nice. Once completed, the ability to revisit the levels in any order and collect the rewards you missed the first time adds some longevity, as does the time trial mode.

Hopefully, in the next TR game, the developers will listen to players comments and this will be addressed. In the meantime, if the game stays in the hands of the current deloping team, I think it's in safe hands. This is the best release since about the third installment in my opinion, and has gone back towards its roots.

Overall, a five star game that lost a star for being far too short.

Peep Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2003]
Peep Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ David Mitchell
Offered by figswigs

5.0 out of 5 stars Cringemaking, compelling comedy!, 15 May 2005
Seen through the eyes of the characters, Peep Show's real genius is in the fact that you can share Mark and Jez's thoughts as they go about their everyday lives. It sounds fairly mundane, but believe me, you will CRINGE as they have problems with their love lives careers and their friendship.

From Mark urinating in his boss's drawers at work, his problems with the local kids, his obsession with his workmate, Sophie, Jez's conviction that he's a musical superstar, the pepperspraying incident, and possibly the shocker to end all shockers - Jez's recollection of the 'bad thing' *shudder* - you will be constantly muttering at the screen, 'You can't do that', 'you sick little monkey, etc etc etc.

This series is by far the best British comedy to come out since 'Spaced'. After years of crap comedy, Britain has something that is truly new and innovative. It is at times subtle, and at other times completely in your face. The reality of the whole thing, thanks to the character's interior monologues, is a joy, and easy to relate to your own life (and I suspect this is why it is so cringemaking - the 'I've been there, done that' feeling).

I want series 2 on DVD!

Fantastic.

Shaun of the Dead [DVD] [2004]
Shaun of the Dead [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars At last! An unpretentious British Film!, 17 Sept. 2004
I waited a long time to see this film. I missed it when it was in the cinemas, and have been eagerly awaiting its release on DVD. Thankfully I haven't been disappointed.
Those who remember 'Spaced' on channel 4 will have a good idea of what to expect in this film humourwise, but for the Zombie content, it's George A.Romero that's been the inspiration here. The funny bits are genuinely amusing, and the zombies are at times genuinely unsettling. The first half-hour sets the scene, the final hour really gets moving, and rarely slows until the end.
There are in-jokes for the Zombiephiles out there, including a dig at '28 days later' and a nod to 'Night of the living dead' amongst others, there's a host of famous faces in there (famous to us in the UK anyway...), absurdity, slapstick, pathos, full-on drama, in your face blood and goo, nob gags, fart gags, angst, and just about everything else you can think of at one point or another. Plus a shedload of interesting and amusing extras on the Disc!
In short:
If you like 'Spaced', you'll like this.
If you like George A. Romero's zombie films, you'll like this.
If you like both of the above, you'll love it.
In fact, if you enjoy comedy and/or horror in any way, you'll enjoy this.
Buy it, and enjoy it.

Conan (PS2)
Conan (PS2)
Offered by marxwax

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun 'hack and slash' adventure., 16 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Conan (PS2) (Video Game)
Okay, so this game was never going to set the gaming world alight with it's innovative plot, or revolutionary fighting system, but as long as you realise what you're buying into before you shell out your hard-earned, you shouldn't be too disappointed.
You play Conan, Robert E. Howard's barbaric hero of 'Weird tales' fame (and later turned into a movie, in which our hero was played by Arnold Schwarzenegger), in a basic 'hack and Slash' adventure with a fairly simplistic plot. Controls are equally simple, with various sword and axe fighting combos available from multiple button presses. Personally, I find them difficult to execute and just hack my way through the variety of enemies(it's fun...). A more 'Tomb Raider'-esgue control system would have been welcome in my opinion.
For fans, the levels are nicely atmospheric, and Conan himself looks fairy much as he should, though he has lost some of his 'elemental'-ness in the translation to polygon 3D. (And no, he doesn't look like Arnold- then again neither did Robert E. Howard's vision of Conan, I'd imagine...)
In short- if you want a game that's fun to play for a few hours, then buy it (I got it from the Amazon marketplace very cheaply, that's why I gave it four stars- great at the price!). If you want something that's in-depth and revolutionary, don't.
Great fun, nice to look at, but ultimately a little too lacking in depth for the most discerning gameplayer.

Tt - On Bike Experience: 2 [DVD]
Tt - On Bike Experience: 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ On-Bike Tt Experience

4.0 out of 5 stars Woooah!, 1 Jun. 2004
Let's be honest, few of us will ever get to ride the IOM TT course in anger. Even fewer will ever be able to ride it like these guys.
This DVD features four complete laps of the circuit, and demonstrates beautifully how much bottle the racers have. I love it!
TT fan? Buy this.

Nobody True
Nobody True
by James Herbert

4.0 out of 5 stars He wasn't there when he died..., 1 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Nobody True (Paperback)
...that's what he tells us anyway.
He was away from his own body when somebody murdered him. Who? I'm not going to tell you, that would be against the point.
James Herbert's latest book is like many of his more recent works- less focus on 'splat' horror, more focus on a thrilling and psychological journey into the bizarre. It starts a little too slowly for my liking, but once it gets itself going, it's fairly relentless, the peaks always higher that the troughs, always leaving you wanting more.
It's not as 'horror' as The Rats or The Fog, but I enjoyed it. It's written with JH's usual flowing prose, enough detail put in to give the flavour, enough left out to let your imagination fill in the gaps (something many authors seem unable to do of late, with every blade of grass and crack in the pavement described in the finest detail...).
If you like good stories, good horror stories, or good (if offbeat) thrillers, you'll like this. If you like James Herbert, you'll probably love it. I did.

Project Zero (PS2)
Project Zero (PS2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely scary, but...., 5 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Project Zero (PS2) (Video Game)
I would love to give this game the maximum of five stars, I really would. However, I can't.
The game is genuinely disturbing- beautifully spooky graphics, unsettling sound, and scares at the most unexpected of moments, often in the most unexpected of ways. In those respects, it's absolutely fantastic, and can't be faulted.
Now for the bad bit- the reason I only award it three stars instead of the five it truly deserves. The control system sucks. And blows.
Instead of weapons, you are 'armed' with an antique camera, which captures the spirits when you photograph them. It's all very clever, and makes a pleasant change from the usual array of guns that this type of game normally involves, but in practise is too darn fiddly and frustrating for any but the most patient of gamer. I persevered for some time, but after getting mullered many, many times, I gave it up in a fit of pique.
If you're very patient, then you'll love this game. If like me, you're not, then go and buy Silent Hill 2 or 3 (or wait for Silent Hill 4 later in the year). They're still the better game.
Five stars for everything other than the 'weapon' system.
No stars for that damn camera.

Stargate SG-1 - Season 3 [DVD]
Stargate SG-1 - Season 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Dean Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 15 hours of pure escapism, 20 Feb. 2004
As an SG-1 fan, I'm biased, but this is yet another great collection, this time containing of all of season three's episodes.
As ever, the best episodes seem to revolve around the battle with the Goa'uld, though the last episode in the season sees the first appearance of the replicators, who come to feature strongly in later seasons.
Season three sees the main characters already firmly established, and has some classic episodes. If you've already seen the series (which is fairly likely if you're looking to buy it...), you'll know what to expect. O'neill's dry wit, Teal'c's often amusing reactions to human customs and relationships, Carter's technobabble and Jackson's Encylopaedic knowledge of all things linguistic and archaeological.
The addition of a few special features is nice this time around, though this box set would be worth buying even if they weren't there. Like most people I don't buy DVD's for special features, but if they are there, and I'm interested, then I'll watch them, and these are interesting enough
Still worth five stars though.. :)

Sony MSA-128A Memory Stick - 128MB
Sony MSA-128A Memory Stick - 128MB

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the memory....stick, 20 Feb. 2004
I bought this to go with my DSC-P72 digital camera, as I'd heard the supplied 16Mb memory stick was WAAAAYYYY too small. I'd heard right. A 128Mb stick like this one holds 82 pics at the highest resolution on my camera.
Until 1Gb memory sticks become a LOT more affordable, I'll stick with this size. I'm off to Oz later in the year, and will probably buy a second one to take with me.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler than a cool thing..., 17 Dec. 2003
Evel Knievel, a boyhood hero of mine even though I'm too young to remember these jumps(I wasn't even born when he made some of them...). For anyone who had an Evel stunt bike as a kid, launching it off the shed roof, over the pond, this is the man himself, doing it for real.
Modern stuntmen just don't cut it. This man was the greatest there has ever been. Despite someone managing to jump 14 double deckers recently (A stunt which Evel failed spectacularly in 1975 in front of a 100,000-strong crowd at Wembley stadium), THAT someone used an ultra-light, mega-suspension equipped motocross bike- Evel tried it on a Harley (possibly an XR750), a bike not known for lightness. Plus, he already KNEW he would fail. But he'd been paid, so he attempted it anyway.
His jump over snake river canyon is here in all it's glory. After two test firings of his rocket-powered bikes, he ran out of money, and only had one left. So he got in the thing and tried it. What a man!
This DVD has footage of his successful jumps, his crashes, and has a lot of his unique philosophy as the voiceover. At thirty minutes it's far too short, but at marginally less than a tenner, it's still worth every penny...
When you think of a guy in a white jumpsuit and a cape, forget Elvis- think EVEL!!!!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6